Stick Tricks!

marching and color guard aren't needed for fantastic music, either. It sounds like you want the symphony orchestra on the football field.

No, but I do think that the visual should be priority number 2. When the music takes a back seat, as often happens these days, that's when you've lost my interest.

No, but I do think that the visual should be priority number 2. When the music takes a back seat, as often happens these days, that's when you've lost my interest.

i can agree with that whole-heartedly. Vis should only be 40% of the judging, at most, imo.

I disagree, they should be equal, 50-50.

I would pay to watch a standstill concert of several drum corps just playing music...I wouldn't pay to watch several drum corps just march their shows without music...music IS more important.

I would pay to watch a standstill concert of several drum corps just playing music...I wouldn't pay to watch several drum corps just march their shows without music...music IS more important.

True but I think having it equal is only fair for the demand the performers are required to give.

First of all, its not my problem that my opinion annoys you. If you don't like it, don't read my posts. Second of all, I approach the activity as if it were a musical activity, so the music is my priority. If there isn't music happening, I'm not interested. As I have said before, I understand that I am in the minority in that opinion, and I'm fine with that. Trying to belittle me for my having a conversation about my opinion is a pretty childish approach to a conversation. If you're not interested in having a conversation, then don't participate, but I'm not going to sit here and trade insults with you over an opinion that I have every right to.

Really? I shouldn't read your posts if I don't like them? How about I do whatever the screaming hell I want, including calling you out for stupid opinions. As a not-great poster once said, "I'm fine with that." Thanks for all the substance.

Really? I shouldn't read your posts if I don't like them? How about I do whatever the screaming hell I want, including calling you out for stupid opinions. As a not-great poster once said, "I'm fine with that." Thanks for all the substance.

Yeah, that's pretty much the idea. If something I'm reading isn't too my liking, I stop reading it. That's the beauty of a free country. I don't, however, call the person who wrote it names, or attempt to insult them, as it is their right to have an opinion, and engage in civil conversation about said opinions. You are also free to cause yourself further irritation by reading it, as, again, it is a free country. However, don't expect me to stop having said civil discourse simply because it annoys you, or because you disagree with my opinion. Insult me if you wish, but you won't get me to respond in kind.

I agree, however, fantastic music is entertaining. When its played clean with amazing and uniform expression and technique, it's bad ###. No stick tricks are necessary.

Very few things in life are "necessary" yet many things are desired. I desire the occasional stick trick regardless of whether or not it is meaningful to the performance. On that we will have to agree to disagree.

I also don't need an aural interpretation of a *Doctoral Dissertation on "An Analytical Study of Bass Drum Sounds" when I listen to a drum solo. It doesn't really need to accomplish anything for that matter either, after all it's just a drum solo. Just lay down a good groove with some clean notes and an occasional stick flash and I'll be happy. It's drumming, not rocket science.

* DDM index no. 1588, University of Northern Colorado, 1982

• Like 2

I also don't need an aural interpretation of a *Doctoral Dissertation on "An Analytical Study of Bass Drum Sounds" when I listen to a drum solo. It doesn't really need to accomplish anything for that matter either, after all it's just a drum solo. Just lay down a good groove with some clean notes and an occasional stick flash and I'll be happy. It's drumming, not rocket science.

* DDM index no. 1588, University of Northern Colorado, 1982

Ahhhhhhh, UNC.

I loved it there! My favorite quote from Daryl Goes, when it came to bass drum, "Just whack it!"