Live or Fade Away

Stu

> If this mainstream audience did not care for drum corps in the 80s and 90s, why would we expect them to like 80s and 90s drum corps now? Just because DCP wishes it so?

One of the inherent things the drum corps community exhibited during that earlier time frame was the fact that they did not care to include the main-stream. This worked as long as the activity remained non major league in nature because smaller venues were the norm. But once the quest to become Major League began, and the desire to fill huge professional stadiums arose like what occurs at rock concerts, the need to include the main-stream became apparent. So, if the drum corps community of today would seek out a more expansive outreach, like drum lines appearing with Shania Twain or horns performing with Cheap Trick, more people might become interested in the activity.

> Quicker to accept what? Something even more remote from their context than it already is?

If Al Chez, Chad Sexton, Steve Gadd, and all of the professional musicians who cut their teeth in drum corps were approached by DCI to help revitalize the activity I am positive that most of them would accept; and they in turn would bring along with them fans of The David Letterman Band, 311, Paul Simon, ad infinitum.

> Otherwise, drum corps just becomes… a rock show.

And if that keeps the activity alive, or better yet allows the activity to grow instead of dying, the problem with that is... what?

Ahh there's your problem. It doesn't keep the activity alive, it just changes it into something else.

• Like 1

> drum corps has had some alum go out in the other worlds of music and have great success.

Some??? How about A Lot!!! I have friends that gig in NY, LA, and all over the world, and you would be surprised at how many fellow professional musicians they perform with who marched in a drum corps. To me, this is where DCI is missing the marketing boat!!!

And every one of these now professional big marketing opportunities that got their start in drum corps know one thing that you are clearly not able to see or are unwilling to admit. DCI is NOT the appeal that gave them their fan base, it's what they did after, so what sense would it make for them to promo what would largely be seen by their own viewing public as an odd obsession with marching band. Yeah I'm sure Gadd and the likes will jump all over that opportunity.

Ahh there's your problem. It doesn't keep the activity alive, it just changes it into something else.

BozzlyB: This is nothing more than a curious question. So, "hypothetically", you would rather see the organization of DCI fold due to lack of future commercial appeal than allow, say, groups like Blue Man Group, Stomp, and Here Come The Mummies to be able to form youth oriented units and compete within the activity; even if that allowance would possibly attract more youth performers and paying audiences?

And every one of these now professional big marketing opportunities that got their start in drum corps know one thing that you are clearly not able to see or are unwilling to admit. DCI is NOT the appeal that gave them their fan base, it's what they did after, so what sense would it make for them to promo what would largely be seen by their own viewing public as an odd obsession with marching band. Yeah I'm sure Gadd and the likes will jump all over that opportunity.

Sorry, but you are incorrect: Chad Sexton of the rock group 311 (former Sky Ryder), Chris Martin of the Chicago Symphony (former Spirit), and Pete Simpson of the Blue Man Group (former Trooper) have all done those types of promos for DCI; they were just placed on an edited DCI finals DVD and not placed on on broadcast/cable stations as PSA announcements (which again are "free" adds to run).

• Like 1

BozzlyB: This is nothing more than a curious question. So, "hypothetically", you would rather see the organization of DCI fold due to lack of future commercial appeal than allow, say, groups like Blue Man Group, Stomp, and Here Come The Mummies to be able to form youth oriented units and compete within the activity; even if that allowance would possibly attract more youth performers and paying audiences?

I'm not saying any of those groups aren't great because they are. My opinion, however, is that if drum corps changes into somthing akin to one of those groups, than DCI HAS folded, and retaining the name of DCI is largley irrelevent at that point so the question is moot. I don't want to see DCI go away, or fold, or become inaccessible, but I simply disagree with the assertion that changing the activity is saving it because it's not, it just changes it. The stark reality is that if DCI becomes like Blast, or Blue Man Group, is that DCI no longer exists in any meaningful sense other than in name, and as they say, the title doen't make the book.

Did I miss something? I don't see where MelloDude declared "hate" for any of those things.

In my opinion he was showing disdain for drum corps synth players by saying the lack in talent, but apparently in trying to defend the members of drum corps I got bashed more than he did. Just look back and you'll find it... its sad really that people just let it slide.

I would rather see Drum Corps International stick to it's mission and serve drum corps. If there was sufficient interest in Blue Man Group to justify an agency to administer the dozens of youth ensembles performing in that format, then by all means, a Blue Man Group International should then be established....but not by taking over DCI and morphing it into BMGI.

When top corps directors came together in 1971-2 to create DCI, they didn't go looking for a struggling marching band circuit so they could take over and change all their rules from band to corps to "save" them.

(Fixed that for you.)

Tom, do you really think that kids are going to march in front of empty stands? Imagine, that big final push, blowing their guts out, jazz running to a single file right down on the sidelines, holding the final chord for 16 counts, the drum major giving a wild-arm, snappy cutoff, horns snap down...and...... <crickets>

Yeah, that will make the kids really excited to play their hearts out. For what? "Cut. Print. Way to go guys and gals! The YouTube fans will really LOVE that one!"

Please.

How many downloads at $1.99 does it take to make up just one $125 finals ticket? Do you really think this little niche can really support that number?

Sorry Tom, you're kidding yourself if you think iPhones or even the FanNetwork will supplant the fans and support the activity.

I'm not saying it...it's the trend. College All Star game in Tempe on ESPN2. 1500 in the stands. It did not affect the players' performance.

In my opinion he was showing disdain for drum corps synth players by saying the lack in talent, but apparently in trying to defend the members of drum corps I got bashed more than he did. Just look back and you'll find it... its sad really that people just let it slide.

But we didn't let it slide. By the time I saw it, he had been called out already (probably by you).

Nevertheless, there's going to be a difference of opinion on this matter. Some will think of the synth-doubling-tuba issue, and view synths as an "easy button" for supplanting brass challenges. We know that in application, synth usage runs the gamut from banal uses like that to the keyboard virtuosity Jersey Surf put on display. For those who give us the tuba doubling, there's a case to be made that the talent of the synth player is not being put to full use in that role. That's not lack of talent, but rather, failure to utilize talent.

(Fixed that for you.)

Tom, do you really think that kids are going to march in front of empty stands? Imagine, that big final push, blowing their guts out, jazz running to a single file right down on the sidelines, holding the final chord for 16 counts, the drum major giving a wild-arm, snappy cutoff, horns snap down...and...... <crickets>

Yeah, that will make the kids really excited to play their hearts out. For what? "Cut. Print. Way to go guys and gals! The YouTube fans will really LOVE that one!"

Please.

How many downloads at $1.99 does it take to make up just one $125 finals ticket? Do you really think this little niche can really support that number?

Sorry Tom, you're kidding yourself if you think iPhones or even the FanNetwork will supplant the fans and support the activity.

also, this is about money and where it's going. Money drives this activity...always has. If there is no money, there is no drum corps.