January 29, 2011

I agree with Dugg! I would much rather see a quad or a five caught solid with good free hands and solid technique than a higher toss that is not properly executed.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*nods head in agreement*

i think students who understand great technique are the ones that do not scream and yell but applaud in appreciation.

regarding the world classes,one thing people in the audience are doing is screaming wildly and applauding like trained seals for simple tosses that are caught poorly and without technique.haphazard catch positions,misplaced and over-rotated tosses [often involving even the most elementary of skills] are greeted with hysterical screeching,clapping and approval.can we please put a stop to this? :shutup:

Thats been going on for years..lol...maybe since the beginning of WGI...........many guards of the past wrote their whole shows around toss after toss after toss after toss....After a while who even cares if the tossing is good ! But yet there's some pretty famous guards out there who have done just that.

With that said it's also January if in any class by April there are the mistakes you mention then it shouldn't meet with approval.

I also think this is worst in A class, In world the higher or more difficult passage of work could be a mess in January and hopefully develope by April. Personally I hate when an A of Open class instructor gives those people 6s or 7s and they can't properely throw a tripple. This to me makes me want to say.....REALLY? :rolleyes:

Some quick thoughts from Ohio. . .

Bellbrook looks to improve upon their 10th place finish at WGI last year. Performing a show entitled Mysterium Avis, these mysterious birds look strong in all captions. Very intelligent writing and smart design choices really showcase their 19 members. At times Bellbrook looked like an open guard, and that will bode well for them in the ever super competitive SA class. This show will entertain and score well throughout the season. Major kudos to both the design team and performers.

Northmont is back to SO which looks like a good fit for them. Their show entitled BeLIEeve showcases 12 members who perform on abstract swirls of blues and greens. A dynamic orchestral soundtrack drives this show that is augmented with intense and intricate work. There are some design issues with flow and cohesiveness, but if they get those ironed out, I think this show could take them into SO finals.

Miamisburg has again reinvented themselves, and this season they’ve gone brooding and dark. Set on all black, the show entitled S.O.S (sound of silence) opens with morse code. Throughout the show a lone acoustic female voice hauntingly sings the sounds of silence. The song is sliced and diced, and at times during the show the soundtrack just stops as to metaphorically reflect the silence…and there’s something special about watching Miamisburg perform in silence (’91 Anyone?) :-) The Burg again showcases extremely difficult work with refined technique. Surprisingly.. their Achilles caption (movement) has taken a HUGE step forward and the work that Carol Abohatab has done with this group is evident.

In other Ohio News. . .

I’ve heard that Onyx is in great shape to defend their title and performs 2 completely different shows simultaneously. Love the innovation coming from this design team. I also think they might field 40?

Zydeco performed for the first time this season to great results, and is a crowd favorite with a super high energy show. Everyone loves a bad guy, right?

I think they march 37?

O2 is holding their own in IW, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they sneak into IW finals. I hear there are some really good things taking place in this show with lots of room for growth.

Also in the not surprised box, I think Zydeco Open has a good chance to medal in IO, their literal and metaphorical take on being a zombie is being well received and performed at a very high level.

That's how things are shaping up in the Buckeye State! :smile:

My assistant who was at the show this past weekend was absolutely ecstatic about the independent guards in ohio...and here's why!!!

Edited by mr_mike09

I'm very curious to see how Onyx is performing 2 shows at once - I can't wrap my head around how it is being done - but I'm very excited to see it!!

Later,

Mike

i'm glad they are performing two shows - i hope one of them is entertaining

maybe they'll place 1st and 2nd! LOL

Edited by joey joe joe jr

regarding the world classes,one thing people in the audience are doing is screaming wildly and applauding like trained seals for simple tosses that are caught poorly and without technique.haphazard catch positions,misplaced and over-rotated tosses [often involving even the most elementary of skills] are greeted with hysterical screeching,clapping and approval.can we please put a stop to this? :shutup:

I say let people respond to what they want to! If they have poor technique for the class, the judges will respond correctly. There is absolutely nothing wrong with getting excited about color guard. Perhaps to a person who has been around the activity for a long time, this would be frustrating. But remember, to most High school students out there, even what the lower scoring World class guards do is spectacular. I remember when I first saw World class for the first time. Blown away. Should I have instead disapproved because of drops, inconsistent catches, etc?

I know you didn't intend to make this a literal argument, but I have to disagree.

Yes, there are definitely plenty of moments during a performance that exhibit either great skill, phenomenal talent, or excellent/breath-taking design... and you stop and go... 'um...why isn't anyone applauding?' And yes, these moments that SHOULD be rewarded with applause. It seems like audiences only applaud for stuff that, on the surface, is exciting, such as big tosses and obvious visual/musical "moments."

But I won't suppress applause for a lousy catch or a lack of technique. These kids are pouring their hearts out onto the floor and trying their hardest. As we all know, there are times when being on that floor is TOUGH and takes a lot of courage. World class or B class, it doesn't matter. There is no reward for these kids other than the applause they receive from the audience, and they deserve that.

:worthy: i say we treat it like youth soccer and give everyone a gold medal and no score

Hardly... You're kidding, though, right? That would be terrible. Nobody's suggesting that everyone's a winner. I'm explaining why people clap for high tosses even when they're not clean.