1968 VFW Prelims to Finals

I hadn't looked at this or even thought about this for years...but prelims top 5 corps were within 9 tenths of a point and totally flip flopped from prelims to finals where the spread was still only 1.8, 6 and 7 also flipped AS did 9 and 10. In the prelims...Des Plaines won, Troopers second, Cavaliers third and Royal Airs and Kilties tied for 4th and 5th. Blue Rock was 6th and St Joes was 7th.

At Finals Kilties won, Cavaliers 2nd, Troopers third, Des Plaines 4th, and Royal Airs 5th, St Joes 6th and Blue Rock 7th...I just find that to be interesting after all of these years. 4th from prelims won, 3rd from prelims were second, 2nd from prelims was third, and 1st from prelims were 4th. Royal Airs who were looking like the possible favorite going in, finished 5th. St Joes topped Blue Rock by 3.4 points where Blue Rock beat Joes by .8 in the prelims. The coolest thing about all of this was that you werent able to pick the winner or placements unitl the scores were announced.

Donny

Edited by Donny Drum Corps

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hadn't looked at this or even thought about this for years...but prelims top 5 corps were within 9 tenths of a point and totally flip flopped from prelims to finals where the spread was still only 1.8, 6 and 7 also flipped AS did 9 and 10. In the prelims...Des Plaines won, Troopers second, Cavaliers third and Royal Airs and Kilties tied for 4th and 5th. Blue Rock was 6th and St Joes was 7th.

At Finals Kilties won, Cavaliers 2nd, Troopers third, Des Plaines 4th, and Royal Airs 5th, St Joes 6th and Blue Rock 7th...I just find that to be interesting after all of these years. 4th from prelims won, 3rd from prelims were second, 2nd from prelims was third, and 1st from prelims were 4th. Royal Airs who were looking like the possible favorite going in, finished 5th. St Joes topped Blue Rock by 3.4 points where Blue Rock beat Joes by .8 in the prelims. The coolest thing about all of this was that you werent able to pick the winner or placements unitl the scores were announced.

Donny

Hey Donny ... don't forget that prelims in 68 was still the "short" program and many corps drastically changed the second half of their shows ... and ... there was virtually no stop time ... concerts were dropped as result ... the 64 Cleveland prelims and finals also had some major flip flops from prelims to finals ... like St. Joe's, Vasella, St. Mary's and St. Lucy's ...

Good topic ...

:-)

Edited by ajlisko

And that automatically created a good chunk of excitement - you never really knew who was going to win!

True ...the "short" program usually took the concert number out completely and sometimes even more than that.

At the 1968 VFW National Championship Finals, The Cavaliers had the highest score, but lost to Kilties due to a flag violation that was written into the show and not caught until Finals by a very honest judge who happened to be a Cavalier Former Marching Member.

At the 1968 VFW National Championship Finals, The Cavaliers had the highest score, but lost to Kilties due to a flag violation that was written into the show and not caught until Finals by a very honest judge who happened to be a Cavalier Former Marching Member.

Sorry Mike, but that was 1966. Judge was Earl Joyce. A man of great integrity.

I haven't explored the score breakdown, but would inspection also play a factor as to the Corps prelim score going into finals? I Know SCV didn't make finals in '69 because of inspection, or so I was told at the time. So glad we finally got rid of it anyway. Can you imagine not making finals because of a misplaced thread or a tiny scuff on your boot even though you have a show worthy of going?

I haven't explored the score breakdown, but would inspection also play a factor as to the Corps prelim score going into finals? I Know SCV didn't make finals in '69 because of inspection, or so I was told at the time.

Maggie, everybody received a 10 in inspection at 1969 VFW,(and the top 25 corps also received 10 in cadence that year) so that didn't keep SCV out of finals.

At 1968 VFW, only the Troopers got a 10 in inspection at prelims (and they repeated that feat at finals). The inspection scores didn't keep anybody out of finals. The 13th and 14th place corps (Black Knights and Anaheim) could have gotten perfect 10's in inspection, and they still would have just missed making finals.

At 1968 VFW, only the Troopers got a 10 in inspection at prelims (and they repeated that feat at finals).

There was only one inspection of corps at VFW Nationals. It was a separate event, and the score applied to both prelims and finals.

Maggie, everybody received a 10 in inspection at 1969 VFW,(and the top 25 corps also received 10 in cadence that year) so that didn't keep SCV out of finals.

Oh, O.K. Thanks Brian. I guess that corrects an SCV urban legend for me. Knew I could count on you to set me straight.

Looking at Corpsreps, I now see that SCV lost by .55 of a point to Argonne. Darn, so close, yet so far...

Edited by MsBusDriver