Blu-Ray DVD Request

Not to beat a dead horse and I know that this may have been covered before, but they should bring back the commentaries on the Finals DVDs. Here are a few reasons why:

1) The space on the disc- I know that they may use a majority of the space for the video and audio, but to add a few other audio tracks would not take up that much space. Those audio tracks could even be in standard definition form.

2) It makes for a better long term viewing experience. I have been going back and watching other recent Finals DVDs and I enjoy the different angles in addition to the commentaries. For me it makes for a more diverse experience. It is great to show my fiancée who has never seen a DCI show live, the different aspects including the judging experience. How many times can you watch just a multi-camera or high camera show?

3) Price, for what these discs costs, and I know the rights and production reasons, but still, to me we should get just a bit more bang for our buck.

Inevitably, I would rather have Blu-Ray as it has been the past two years than go back to the standard DVD with the separate audio and video tracks. However, if it is at all possible, would like to have them both in one package. If they could not include it on the Blu-Ray, maybe they could offer a standard DVD with those other options included for an additional say $20, I would pay it. Maybe they would not have to charge at all, just food for thought. Most people on here would agree, the audio commentaries were incredible and I would love to see them come back in 2011.

• Like 5

I totally agree with you. :thumbup:

• Like 1

I too, would love this, considering that I have never had the special features for a show I've done. (7th place in 2007, the last year they did this :sad: )

Edited by BlooContraGuy

We've got multi angle & high angle options. A commentary option would be cool.

Michael J Casario with perhaps a different guest co-commentator every year would work.

We've got multi angle & high angle options. A commentary option would be cool.

Michael J Casario with perhaps a different guest co-commentator every year would work.

Hmghhh, was thinking more in line of Perc judge and show designer, but if dripped in chocolate is your cup of tea than yeah, maybe. All joking aside, an inside track with someone within the organization would be the way to go.

I always enjoyed being able to watch the percussion camera and listen to the percussion judge at the same time. Some up close and personal notes - almost like an "in the lot" experience. I would like for them to put that back in for sure.

• Like 2

Hmghhh, was thinking more in line of Perc judge and show designer, but if dripped in chocolate is your cup of tea than yeah, maybe. All joking aside, an inside track with someone within the organization would be the way to go.

I could listen to MJC all day. Yes he is sickly sweet but he knows his way round a Drum Corps show.

Perhaps we could have Good cop bad cop.....

Good cop... WOW! brassline that's amazing, bad cop... that sucks brassline!

Good cop... The battery is on fire tonight, bad cop...bangity bang bang kerplunk tish, get it together guys!

• Like 2

Not to beat a dead horse and I know that this may have been covered before, but they should bring back the commentaries on the Finals DVDs. Here are a few reasons why:

1) The space on the disc- I know that they may use a majority of the space for the video and audio, but to add a few other audio tracks would not take up that much space. Those audio tracks could even be in standard definition form.

2) It makes for a better long term viewing experience. I have been going back and watching other recent Finals DVDs and I enjoy the different angles in addition to the commentaries. For me it makes for a more diverse experience. It is great to show my fiancée who has never seen a DCI show live, the different aspects including the judging experience. How many times can you watch just a multi-camera or high camera show?

3) Price, for what these discs costs, and I know the rights and production reasons, but still, to me we should get just a bit more bang for our buck.

Inevitably, I would rather have Blu-Ray as it has been the past two years than go back to the standard DVD with the separate audio and video tracks. However, if it is at all possible, would like to have them both in one package. If they could not include it on the Blu-Ray, maybe they could offer a standard DVD with those other options included for an additional say $20, I would pay it. Maybe they would not have to charge at all, just food for thought. Most people on here would agree, the audio commentaries were incredible and I would love to see them come back in 2011.

I too would LOVE these special features. I personally really got a lot out of the show commentaries & judge tapes on the DVD's, even for just the Top corps (heck, I'd settle for just the Top 3). I'd pay a premium for that option.

I don't know how much this would add to production or cost, and totally understand it it would be cost prohibitive. But if they did it for just the Blu-ray sets, where the fans are more inclined/understanding to pay extra for the format anyway, perhaps it would be worth DCI's while (also an added incentive for people to pay extra for the Blu-rays other than the amazing quality difference).

Option two that would help us & individual corps:

corps should record their own commentary and/or judge tapes from Finals and put them up on DCI (or Fan Network) to charge extra. They can make an extra $5 by putting up a video w/commentary on Fan Network(heck, $5 per video adds up to a lot if the corps puts design commentary, perc judge, GE judge, brass judge, guard judge, etc), or even $2 or so putting up just an audio mp3 (which would be minimal work for the corps to produce) for fans to download and play/sync to video (i.e. play the mp3 on one device while playing DVD or Blu-ray on another). This could be an untapped money-maker for corps that would be minimal cost/effort to produce. It wouldn't be a windfall of thousands of dollars for them, but it would be something: and for some corps, it could be well worth their while (for example, when Bluecoats just barely missed Top 6/commentaries in 07 I think their corps could've made a bit of cash if they would've taken the initiative to produce the mp3's on their own to sell on their website to fans clamoring for the commentary at the time).

Just my thoughts...

• Like 1

I would love to have a track with some real commentary on the show and its development from corps staffers or even members. I've never enjoyed the judging audio tracks, though. The language is too coded to offer anything interesting to the non-director, and even if they were clear about their criticisms, I wouldn't necessarily want to hear it.

I'd love to hear the director or show designer talking about how a bit evolved, why they chose that move or chord or which parts were hardest and which were easiest. Or to hear the members talking about their favorite bits or telling funny stories or even reacting to how the thing looks and sounds since that would be a new experience for them, too.

Seems like if they added another disc to the set, that'd free up enough room for multiple additional audio tracks. The voiceovers don't need to be in 10.2 Ultra DTS VII audio. Mid-bitrate stereo is more than enough. And the additional content would make it worth another $20-$30. Maybe just offer that as an option over the normal price without the extras.