Dayton Regional

Independent World: Don't care for Onyx at all...I'm a fan of ensemble.. not diggin it.

One thing is for sure...my butt hurts from sitting so long today! I hardly got up b/c I didn't want to miss anything!

May I ask, by ensemble do you really mean "unison"? ensemble is not the same as unison if using the word as stated on the judge sheet criteria.

... Obviously the judges like it ...

Just because a program is ranking and scoring where it is does not mean the judges "like it." Judges are simply applying the criteria reference to what they are seeing on the floor and ranking and rating it accordlingly. Liking or not liking it has nothing to do with judging it. At least in theory it shouldn't.

Edited by combia1
  • Like 1

Wow...great talent this past Dayton Regional...however, it leads me to wonder if Miamisburg World Gaurd may not make it into finals for WGI in April? It would be their first time not in finals since 1984 or 1985, I believe. Any other thoughts on this?

I was talking to a friend (who has been around the activity for a long time) at the beginning of SW and said, could this be the year that we DON'T see Burg, CGCG and Choctaw in finals? He said, 'there's a reason they are the most storied programs in the activity and they know how to pull it together in the end' I have all the faith in the world that each program will. All 3 guards have stood the test of time, regardless of the bumps along the way.

Also, after watching Centerville perform and realizing that they have an amazingly designed show that's performed very well, I turned to the same friend and said, could we possibly see all 11 of these groups in finals at WGI, and again he said, it wouldn't surprise me at all. (me either!)

To those who are feeling a little deflated, I again say....the SW groups at the dayton regional who have finished 2nd to last for the last 2 years have gone on to finish 5th at WGI (Warren Central in '09 and Marian Catholic in '10) They jumped MANY groups that beat them a month prior. I've been through the recaps for the regional that took place this weekend and the numbers were EVERYWHERE in both prelims and finals for the groups who were in the 5th -11th spots. So, basically. . .ANYTHING is possible with a month to go. It just depends on how hard a group wants it and the work they are willing to put into it. It's been done many, many times before.

PS..I think the Trent Arena was the PERFECT venue, not to big, and not too small. I love that a group on the floor has 3 full sides of people to perform too... which makes the audience feel MUCH bigger. I think a regional in the Nut house or UD makes the crowd look wimpy and small. The only drawback to Trent is having to walk outside from warmup to the performance area. If the weather were nice, I think the lobby would have felt less constricted and the walk from warmup would not have be an issue, but that's just my take! :-)

Edited by PrfctTimeOfDay

The scores do seem really low for this point in the season.

I really hate to hear that members from any group would show unsportsman-like behavior. BUT they are high school kids ...Maybe years of color guard will teach them some grace.

May I ask, by ensemble do you really mean "unison"? ensemble is not the same as unison if using the word as stated on the judge sheet criteria.

You are probably correct...I'm an old lady and not up with the jargon. Thanks! I just like to see lots of performers doing the same work....to me it is much more difficult and also more appealing to the eye BUT like I said I am old school and have only been a spectator for about 20 years. I performed back in the 80's when things were a lot different.

Just because a program is ranking and scoring where it is does not mean the judges "like it." Judges are simply applying the criteria reference to what they are seeing on the floor and ranking and rating it accordlingly. Liking or not liking it has nothing to do with judging it. At least in theory it shouldn't.

I would love to believe that is the case.

Wow...great talent this past Dayton Regional...however, it leads me to wonder if Miamisburg World Gaurd may not make it into finals for WGI in April? It would be their first time not in finals since 1984 or 1985, I believe. Any other thoughts on this?

That would be a travesty! I am pulling for the elders of the color guard world to take back the lead. Lots of groups can bring a fresh perspective to color guard for a while but they tend to fade away. The one that comes to mind is Bishop Kearney. Are they still around? Groups that have been around for 30 years or so go thru lots of ups and downs. NO group can sustain THAT long without some lean years. Lots of groups are having staff issues, economy challenges and recruiting trouble. I noticed numbers are down in Center Grove and Miamisburg for sure. I know people in the Miamisburg organization and believe me... they will continue what they love as long as they can!

P.S. They better make it to WGI finals since I already have my tickets! :satisfied: