What qualifies you as a member of a corps?

I ask this question because i was wondering at what point are you a member of a corps and can wear that jacket. Do you consider someone a member of a corps as soon as they get a contract? but what if they get hurt in move-ins and never march a show? Or what if they are an alternate? or what if someone only marches one show? Your thoughts?

Simple... if the check clears, you're a member. Even if you were booted out later, quit, or were an overage member, or what have you. If they cashed the check, you're a " Corps member ", simple as that.

But of course, someone who marched (say) a dozen or more years with the same Corps, is a little bit higher up on that Corps totem pole, than someone that ( say ) got hurt in the move in, and never marched a show... or was an alternate for the year or whatever.

Incidentally, just curious... why do you you ask ?

Edited by BRASSO

I would say if you're one of those people that got a jacket and then left or quit during spring training or early in tour, then you shouldn't wear the jacket. If you get sick or injured and have to drop out then some people might not like you wearing the jacket, but it's up to you. The best thing you can do is to come back to prove that you want to earn the status of "member".

I agree, you should at least have marched one show and if you leave it has to be because of sickness or injury. I really think that you shouldn't buy a corps jacket unless you finish an entire year.

Back when I marched, we didn't have contracts, I was told at a certain

point in the winter that I made it. I recieved my member jacket after

Memorial Day Camp, and I think that's the point I was officially

a Madison Scout. I truly felt like a Scout after being "initiated" mid-season. :tic:

• Like 1

Back when I marched, we didn't have contracts, I was told at a certain

point in the winter that I made it. I recieved my member jacket after

Memorial Day Camp, and I think that's the point I was officially

a Madison Scout. I truly felt like a Scout after being "initiated" mid-season. :tic:

This sounds pretty cool, wish they still did this but I feel this has been replaced with being giving your nail the week before finals week. That's when I considered myself a member.

Incidentally, just curious... why do you you ask ?

Since you asked, I marched the entire season in 09 except one show for a dislocated shoulder and then marched the next three with a sling. You can see the picture when viewing my profile. And I have a corps jacket and I do consider myself a member. HOWEVER 2010 was a different story for me. I was originally unable to march due to financial responsibilities. But in move ins they had an injury that opened up the opportunity for me to come back and march. Four days after I got there I threw out my back and was thrown into an alternate possition. I was an alternate for about a month or so filling every hole possible. I even learned the first half of the show on one trumpet spot and learned the second half on another but never marched a show as those members were just injured. Then I lucked into a mello spot where i was able to learn most of the show and i DID march a show as a mello. However the day after that show, i was misdiagnosed with tounsilitis (actually mono) and made to go home 2 and a half weeks short of finals. NOW TO THE POINT. I was for sure a tuba player in 09 and i have both a patch for 09 and a tuba patch. However im not sure what patches if any I should put on for 2010. I am getting a 2010 patch as i feel i was a member in 2010 the problem is the instrument patches

Edited by TubaJon

Since you asked, I marched the entire season in 09 except one show for a dislocated shoulder and then marched the next three with a sling. You can see the picture when viewing my profile. And I have a corps jacket and I do consider myself a member. HOWEVER 2010 was a different story for me. I was originally unable to march due to financial responsibilities. But in move ins they had an injury that opened up the opportunity for me to come back and march. Four days after I got there I threw out my back and was thrown into an alternate possition. I was an alternate for about a month or so filling every hole possible. I even learned the first half of the show on one trumpet spot and learned the second half on another but never marched a show as those members were just injured. Then I lucked into a mello spot where i was able to learn most of the show and i DID march a show as a mello. However the day after that show, i was misdiagnosed with tounsilitis (actually mono) and made to go home 2 and a half weeks short of finals. NOW TO THE POINT. I was for sure a tuba player in 09 and i have both a patch for 09 and a tuba patch. However im not sure what patches if any I should put on for 2010. I am getting a 2010 patch as i feel i was a member in 2010 the problem is the instrument patches

If you marched a show on mellophone, I say go ahead with a mellophone patch.

I see. I understand the grey area of the qualification for the instrument patches. It's a tough call. I think I might ask either your Corps Director or your section leader to see what they think.

In a general, and probably in a " legal " sense, once becomes a " Corps member " when the Corps cashes the " Corps members " first check after being told they've made the roster. Otherwise, if the qualification to be a " Corps member " was ( for example ) later in the season, then parents and marchers could contact the Corps for a refund as they are not a " Corps member ". However, as we all know, the Corps would not refund the money in most cases, as from their standpoint you have indeed been a " Corps member ". Thus, this why I stated above that one becomes a " Corps member " when the " check clears ". Anyway, that's that. Sorry by the way to hear you got mono 2 weeks before Finals in 09. That's a bummer.

Edited by BRASSO

hmmm... interesting question. My corps did necklaces after the first show, but jackets waited until after the season. I know most corps do jackets earlier though.

ditto - we didn't get our jackets till finals week.

Sorry by the way to hear you got mono 2 weeks before Finals in 09. That's a bummer.

for clarification that was all in 2010. I marched a complete season in 09 on tuba