Bluecoats 2011

I invented a similar piece of apparatus for drummers.

I called it invisi-stick.

It didn't sell so well.

BERPs can be useful. Are they absolutely necessary? No, but they can be of benefit.

• Like 2

How is the Mackey coming? I effing love that piece...

Edited by BlooContraGuy

Is mouthpiece buzzing useless, too, in your expert opinion?

The two seasons I marched with a berp, the staff viewed "berping" as a chop break, substituting for air only. Of course, buzzing on the berp is far from a chop break, and time spent berping on the move would be better spent playing. My total time spent berping over 2 seasons was about 15 minutes, and the berp just seemed to be a cool black thing to put on your horn.

Berps were not created for drum corps so to say its useless bases on your experience in corps is 'ignant' (lol)

I think the resistance think on it isn't very useful but the berp itself is great. When buzzing , you want the setup to be exactly like it is when playing the instrument. Holding the mouthpiece with one hand actually gives quite a difference (tho you probably don't realize it) in the chop setup etc. The best way to buzz is using two hands, with the mouthpiece between the finger tips (thumb, pointer, thumb) of both hands (hard to explain), or on an apparatus such as this.