Onyx

I did notice at retreat they(Onyx) were standing with arms folded and had rude smirks on their faces. I was not a fan of their show in the least BUT I have to mention that the petite dancer with the red hair was unbelievable and gorgeous! She moved in some amazing ways.

• Like 2

I did notice at retreat they(Onyx) were standing with arms folded and had rude smirks on their faces. I was not a fan of their show in the least BUT I have to mention that the petite dancer with the red hair was unbelievable and gorgeous! She moved in some amazing ways.

yeah she is very good! She is a prime example of under utilized talent. She spins extremely well, but too my knowledge she didnt touch any equipment. I for one would hate to pay to do colorguard and just dance the whole show!

• Like 1

Did anyone else notice that Onyx did not clap for anyone during awards?? I thought that was very rude and unsportmanlike. And when they got the silver medal they all looked completely unpleased. IT'S A SILVER MEDAL!!!! BE HAPPY!!! I was surprised by this, especially coming from last years world champion..

Yeah.... very disappointed to see such unsportsmanlike behavior. One only had to look at the ecstatic faces from James Logan HS, to see how a defending champion graciously celebrates a SILVER MEDAL. With so many amazing shows this year, any medal was an achievement to be celebrated!

• Like 2

Did anyone else notice that Onyx did not clap for anyone during awards?? I thought that was very rude and unsportmanlike. And when they got the silver medal they all looked completely unpleased. IT'S A SILVER MEDAL!!!! BE HAPPY!!! I was surprised by this, especially coming from last years world champion..

This should not surprise anyone...it's how their Director, Michael Lentz acts all the time...and it's how he teaches his guard to act, and it's in line with the pompous and arrogant delivery of the message of their production. And...I will most certainly blame the performers as well...these are ADULT World Class performers. They have choices regarding how they act in regards to sportsmanship. I had and still have an unsavory bitter taste about the whole subject of Onyx...that's why I stood up and walked out when they walked into the arena. MY OPINION, MY CHOICE.

Scott Markham

• Like 1

I'm not sure what Mr. Lentz said to you that was so insulting, but I'm starting to believe it was justified.

I'd take a big ole stab at it being part of their character -- part of their performance. Next you'll have us believe members of Corona are actually made of paper. I too did see them celebrating after they left the red carpet, and the few run-ins I had with onyx members were nothing but pleasant. Perhaps they read your numerous posts trashing the guard and their director and decided not to give you the time of day. Hell, from everything I read I wouldn't give you the time of day and I'm not even affiliated with the group. You may have an opinion and a choice, but with posts like that, you sound like an idiot.

This should not surprise anyone...it's how their Director, Michael Lentz acts all the time...and it's how he teaches his guard to act, and it's in line with the pompous and arrogant delivery of the message of their production. And...I will most certainly blame the performers as well...these are ADULT World Class performers. They have choices regarding how they act in regards to sportsmanship. I had and still have an unsavory bitter taste about the whole subject of Onyx...that's why I stood up and walked out when they walked into the arena. MY OPINION, MY CHOICE.

Scott Markham

• Like 4

I'm not sure what Mr. Lentz said to you that was so insulting, but I'm starting to believe it was justified.

I'd take a big ole stab at it being part of their character -- part of their performance. Next you'll have us believe members of Corona are actually made of paper. I too did see them celebrating after they left the red carpet, and the few run-ins I had with onyx members were nothing but pleasant. Perhaps they read your numerous posts trashing the guard and their director and decided not to give you the time of day. Hell, from everything I read I wouldn't give you the time of day and I'm not even affiliated with the group. You may have an opinion and a choice, but with posts like that, you sound like an idiot.

Namecalling. Classy.

I receive all the 'time of day' I could ever wish for from all of the beautiful, inspiring, and KIND (polite) friends/acquaintances I have in the activity...really don't desire any more from anyone else...

Since you are not affiliated with the group, you wouldn't know that is how their director OFTEN acts...it just seems to be part of his 'platform'.

Can you throw something else at me other than "idiot"?

Actually, don't...I've wasted too much time responding.

• Like 2

just calling it like I see it...

Namecalling. Classy.

I receive all the 'time of day' I could ever wish for from all of the beautiful, inspiring, and KIND (polite) friends/acquaintances I have in the activity...really don't desire any more from anyone else...

Since you are not affiliated with the group, you wouldn't know that is how their director OFTEN acts...it just seems to be part of his 'platform'.

• Like 3

Namecalling. Classy.

Love this...

they may be "affiliated" but yeah their staff had their noses in the air even as Onyx took the floor!

I miss the Onyx that didnt win gold, you know like 09 and 08, not a fan of this new found "art"

• Like 2

just calling it like I see it...

Let's talk about sportsmanship and maturity...since this IS the WORLD CLASS and the people our younger performers are looking up to.

You obviously went straight for the jugular mentioning Corona (where I once marched). The humble classy members of Corona know that retreat is a time for celebrating the activity and the achievements of ALL of their fellow performers; that is one of the many amazing lessons they gain from their director and staff. So no, they did not act like 'paper'...they clapped, cheered, and had fun.

Re: your argument that Onyx took their 'character' in retreat; you believe their show depicted someone who was cold, bitter, and not really humble at all to be receiving one of the highest honors in our activity??? Well...that's how I read them too...which is why I WALKED OUT when they performed. Negative energy on top of arrogance doesn't inspire or interest me.

I don't believe for a second that you aren't affiliated because anyone else in the activity frown upon their actions in retreat. That's just not what this is all about...I'm sorry that you have come to believe that's what competition and colorguard are about; in fact, I feel very sad that's what you have learned from all of this.

Best wishes...

Scott Markham

• Like 2

I wasn't aware of, and could frankly care less about where you marched. None of this really matters, I'm sure when things go awry I'll just move north to the Percussion Forums anyway. So much less drama there...

Let's talk about sportsmanship and maturity...since this IS the WORLD CLASS and the people our younger performers are looking up to.

You obviously went straight for the jugular mentioning Corona (where I once marched). The humble classy members of Corona know that retreat is a time for celebrating the activity and the achievements of ALL of their fellow performers; that is one of the many amazing lessons they gain from their director and staff. So no, they did not act like 'paper'...they clapped, cheered, and had fun.

Re: your argument that Onyx took their 'character' in retreat; you believe their show depicted someone who was cold, bitter, and not really humble at all to be receiving one of the highest honors in our activity??? Well...that's how I read them too...which is why I WALKED OUT when they performed. Negative energy on top of arrogance doesn't inspire or interest me.

I don't believe for a second that you aren't affiliated because anyone else in the activity frown upon their actions in retreat. That's just not what this is all about...I'm sorry that you have come to believe that's what competition and colorguard are about; in fact, I feel very sad that's what you have learned from all of this.

Best wishes...

Scott Markham

• Like 2