SCV '82 - The Untold Story

The untold story that's been covered ad nauseam?

Standing in the snareline that night. Noise on the field was so deafening, "we" could barely hear the hornline. One of the center snares -- guy who'd been there during the dance gone right -- YELLS at the top of his lungs: "listen in." Drumline immediately tuned out horns completely in an every man for himself effort to stay together... which we did. No chance hornline could hear one another side to side... NO chance... completely on an island... on their own.

Once it started to phase, there was zero possibility for correction. Crowd noise on the field, given the acoustics & the ridiculous echo, was unreal. Echo magnified the sound... volume was unreal.

Standing in the snareline for BD's La Fiesta a few years later, we got a fairly decent crowd reaction. Volume didn't compare. '82 SCV Finals Bottle Dance debacle... by far and away loudest volume at field level I've ever heard.

Now, keep it to yourself... it's a secret.

I understand why it happened. What I'm wondering is why that significant fact gets left out of the story when its retold?

It doesn't get left out. It's been mentioned all over the place....even here on DCP. Here are just two easily-found examples:

"SCV - 1982 Surprise bottle dance. Crowd reaction was so loud the corps members couldn't hear each other and the show ended a full count apart."

"the surprise "Bottle Dance," ensemble tear and all"

Shhhhhhhh! You're letting the secret out!!!