Open class and World class combining?

Hey guys,

So how is the whole open class-world class championships going to work? I hear from some people that every corps that makes finals in open and world will perform world finals night. But others are saying the top 12 corps in score, nomatter what the class, will be in world finals...

But I cant find anything from an official source about this, how will this work?

Last I heard, open-class was still having their own championship events in Michigan City. Both prelims and finals will be held there on separate days.

The combined DCI World Championship preliminary will include corps from both open and world class, competing head-to-head. Top 25 from that will advance to semis; top 12 semi finishers go on to compete in finals.

• Like 1

So, pretty much how it was back in the Div. I, II and III days, yeah?

Last I heard, open-class was still having their own championship events in Michigan City. Both prelims and finals will be held there on separate days.

The combined DCI World Championship preliminary will include corps from both open and world class, competing head-to-head. Top 25 from that will advance to semis; top 12 semi finishers go on to compete in finals.

Which is exactly how it was for YEARS AND YEARS AND YEARS AND YEARS AND YEARS AND YEARS AND YEARS AND YEARS prior to 2003. Pretty simple, and quite fair in my opinion.

• Like 1

Does anybody have information as to how seeding will work at quarterfinals on Thursday? My assumption would be that all OC corps perform in final placement order, followed by all WC corps in their seeded order. I don't think that gives OC a fair shake though, plus the whole nobody in the stands issue. For quarters at least it should go by last score or placement. Start with the lowest ranked corps, and move on up, alternating OC/WC when you get to shared placements. OR just start with the lowest scores and move towards the highest scores. If an OC corps scored a 99.2 at finals earlier in the week, but the top WC corps is only sitting at a 96 so far, then OC gets the last performance of the night.

Let's be honest, the chance that an open class group will make it to World finals is slim at best, let's give them a shot to perform for the big crowd on Thursday night at least.

It's already not fair for the lower world class corps, so why make it even worse for them? There's already no one in the stands early on Thursday, and the judges just put them in the order they go on, so it doesn't make sense to start trying to be fair now that open class corps are involved. Plus I'm pretty sure that BDB would not like to take the field directly after Crown or Cavies or BDA.

• Like 2

Well I guess if you wanted to truly take away all chance of slotting and remove all bias you would random draw for performance positions for quarters on Wed. among all who will participate. Plus that would put butts in the stands early for the crowd wouldn't want to miss the WC finalists who end up going on early. It would curious to see how that type of order would effect scoring. No doubt we would see some movement in positions for semis.

Personally I would be all for such a draw, but the idea would have snowball's chance in #$%% of passing.

• Like 2

So, pretty much how it was back in the Div. I, II and III days, yeah?

I would say even farther back, going back to the days when it was a much simpler format of prelims and finals (and there were a whole more corps competing then).

Edited by byline

Well I guess if you wanted to truly take away all chance of slotting and remove all bias you would random draw for performance positions for quarters on Wed. among all who will participate. Plus that would put butts in the stands early for the crowd wouldn't want to miss the WC finalists who end up going on early. It would curious to see how that type of order would effect scoring. No doubt we would see some movement in positions for semis.

Personally I would be all for such a draw, but the idea would have snowball's chance in #$%% of passing.

I'd love to see that again

Someone here did a break down of all the extra practice time the top corps get due to always being slotted last – it was like 70 extra hours, that’s too much of an advantage for the already advantage

• Like 1