Tour Shoes

I looked up those free runs. They seem pretty comfy, but I'm not sure they'd last too long!

Exactly. My Asics barely made it through!

Wore New Balance cross trainers "Prescribed" for my fee and Nike running shoes my first year. The Nikes were actually more comfortable to me. My second year I wore Nike Free 7.0 and they were very comfortable. During finals week they were starting to rip by the pinky toe but I have a wider foot so that is wear I always wear through shoes. Good news is I sent them back to Nike and they gave me an $85 credit. I used that credit to buy a new pair of Nike Free Run for tour this year :) I still have an old pair of Free 3.0 that I use for my backup pair.

Wore New Balance cross trainers "Prescribed" for my fee and Nike running shoes my first year. The Nikes were actually more comfortable to me. My second year I wore Nike Free 7.0 and they were very comfortable. During finals week they were starting to rip by the pinky toe but I have a wider foot so that is wear I always wear through shoes. Good news is I sent them back to Nike and they gave me an $85 credit. I used that credit to buy a new pair of Nike Free Run for tour this year :) I still have an old pair of Free 3.0 that I use for my backup pair.

new balance has various widths, just fyi incase you weren't aware, though you probably are.

Old shoes-

pair of Columbia walking/hiking shoes used as rain shoes. They're the ones in that lolcorps shot with the pile of turf.

pair of Fila Sport Ulterra shoes that lasted about five years longer than they should have for $30 and are still going after three seasons of drum corps. No idea how or why they haven't disintegrated. Currently the back-up pair.

AAAAC_KHKagAAAAAAAsCyg.jpg?v=1227377103000

Current shoes-

Adidas Kanadia TR 3 in blue/green with matching watch on the right foot. The giant knobblies on the tread are excellent for the grass, dirt, mud, and turf surfaces that make up the vast majority of my marching. Brooks, Asics, and Nike Frees are all fantastic shoes that can't bite into dew-soaked grass to save their lives (or yours).

Adidas-Kanadia-TR3-multi-mens-G14711.jpg

Dream shoes-

La Sportiva Crosslites.

La-Sportiva-Crosslite.jpg

Race-grade trail runners with steel rock-stop plates, waterproof upper that still breathes, gnarly traction, ultra lightweight. They are of course stupidly expensive and I have no personal experience with them, so this might be a pipedream.

My advice: Go for "trail running" shoes rather than just "running" shoes. Running = asphalt and dirt trails. Trail Running = gravel, mud, rocks, and all the terrible potholed, half-flooded, rock-strewn, weed-ridden fields the world over. Additionally, higher end NB or Asics "running" shoes are often designed for straight-line performance and have little ankle support for sudden changes of direction.

I teach at a place where a handful of members are using the Nike Free Runs and have for a couple seasons. I myself run in them and put 500 miles on my last pair and nearly 600 miles on a pair I got near christmas. Incredibly durable shoes, even if they're light.

I teach at a place where a handful of members are using the Nike Free Runs and have for a couple seasons. I myself run in them and put 500 miles on my last pair and nearly 600 miles on a pair I got near christmas. Incredibly durable shoes, even if they're light.

Hmm. I might buy a pair for my post spring training shoes.. Thanks!

I heard that having the right insoles can make it or break it for you. People with flat feet (like me) NEED arch support. From the past camps I've been to I can say that my feet were in pain just from standing for hours on end. Also, having bulky shoes don't help either.