02 Going to Open?

thedova

maybe they are losing alot of vets in the big guard

maybe they are moving up alot of the kids To the big guard

Maybe Pride is planning to come back out, which could make a difference

Maybe they want a smaller guard and less stress and spend less time and money on them

Hard to maintain 1 independent, let alone 2 these days

maybe they are losing alot of vets in the big guard

maybe they are moving up alot of the kids To the big guard

Maybe Pride is planning to come back out, which could make a difference

Maybe they want a smaller guard and less stress and spend less time and money on them

Hard to maintain 1 independent, let alone 2 these days

Maybe? :tongue:

I forgot Pride might come back out soon, But Id think that would affect Zydeco & Juxta more than Onyx, since most the members of Pride marched there

Edited by thedova

could effect both

OOPS.. I meant Juxtaposition HAHAHHA!

Then they should do what Zydeco is doing this coming season.. Only field one World guard.

Not fair for guards to keep taking medals away from other guards :thumbup:

Zydeco, Onyx, and O2 are run by different people with different goals. What is best for Zydeco, is not going to be what is best for Onyx and O2. Have you ever thought about the money, resources, time and effort it would take to field two World class guards? I personally find it hard enough running a scholastic a guard...so i have only the highest respect for the staff of both Onyx and O2 being able to do it for at least one season. and i have the same amount of respect for Zydeco's staff, for doing what they think is best for their program. everyone who is complaining about it, probably has never tried to run two independent guards. let alone two world class ones.

Zydeco, Onyx, and O2 are run by different people with different goals. What is best for Zydeco, is not going to be what is best for Onyx and O2. Have you ever thought about the money, resources, time and effort it would take to field two World class guards? I personally find it hard enough running a scholastic a guard...so i have only the highest respect for the staff of both Onyx and O2 being able to do it for at least one season. and i have the same amount of respect for Zydeco's staff, for doing what they think is best for their program. everyone who is complaining about it, probably has never tried to run two independent guards. let alone two world class ones.

No one is complaining about it, we are discussing it. And like I said before its not just O2.. they are the most recent, but there have been guards before. I just wanted everyones opinions on the matter.

I would think more people = more money = more staff = easier to run a guard???

I don't think the staff at O2 got together and said, "hey, let's move back down to open in 2012 so we can win another medal." There is probably a logic behind it.

Lets remind ourselves that O2 used to be Onyx Open... Here is the last few years and where they have placed.

2010- 1st in IO

2009- 3rd in IA

2008- 9th place in the Brazale Round in IA Semi-finals

2007- 9th place in IO

So just going back a few years it's not that O2 has been successful every year. The staff is making a decision to better the organization. That is all.

I don't think the staff at O2 got together and said, "hey, let's move back down to open in 2012 so we can win another medal." There is probably a logic behind it.

Lets remind ourselves that O2 used to be Onyx Open... Here is the last few years and where they have placed.

2010- 1st in IO

2009- 3rd in IA

2008- 9th place in the Brazale Round in IA Semi-finals

2007- 9th place in IO

So just going back a few years it's not that O2 has been successful every year. The staff is making a decision to better the organization. That is all.

I'd say that is pretty successful considering there are guards out there who haven't ever made finals. lol

No one is saying that they or any other group is gonna be bumping down just to win another medal!! But most guards give the World guard thing a few seasons before they call it quits..

I thought each year a guard would classify itself based on the incoming members. Kinda why some people bump themselves into World, or bump themselves out of World, or out of Open. I would just wait until auditions before making any decisions. But that is just me

Regardless I am excited to see what O2 puts out on the floor,and I am sure it will be another great production

If the move down is not correct WGI will bump them back up next year....I think it was proven this year that the new system of bumping during the season and not based on the previous year was a positive improvement.

Edited by Jeremy Denzer

You might be surprised. Many guards (including ours) do end-of-season surveys to see who might be coming back next season. If it looks like there are a bunch of "maybes" or "no" responses from performers/staff, the directors may feel that moving to Open class might be the more responsible thing to do due to the need to train a large number of newer performers, hire new staff, etc. They may also considered the kids in the HS programs they teach and assess that they're not ready for a World class level of competition yet, but they could be ready for Open Class based on their training.

They may be moving the current 02 kids into Onyx... They may want to make sure they can afford 2 programs next year instead of going broke trying to run two world class programs... limited time/availability of rehearsal spaces...

There's a lot to consider when making these decisions, and yes, while some do it to "medal" in a different class, for the most part, they are making the decisions based on factors we never see.

I'd say that is pretty successful considering there are guards out there who haven't ever made finals. lol

No one is saying that they or any other group is gonna be bumping down just to win another medal!! But most guards give the World guard thing a few seasons before they call it quits..

I thought each year a guard would classify itself based on the incoming members. Kinda why some people bump themselves into World, or bump themselves out of World, or out of Open. I would just wait until auditions before making any decisions. But that is just me

Regardless I am excited to see what O2 puts out on the floor,and I am sure it will be another great production

• Like 1