Platinum switching to G bugles soon.

That was a pretty dumb move, IMO. Use quieter brass and amp the pit. And there lies the reason for overbalanced pits in the 21st Century.

It appears that they made an announcement regarding this season.

http://www.platinumdrumcorps.org/

That's too bad.

It appears that they made an announcement regarding this season.

http://www.platinumdrumcorps.org/

That's too bad.

That really is too bad. Was last season (2010) their first year out as a drum corps? I noticed their website mentioned 5 years as an indoor ensemble... :blink:

Yeah Platinum competed/exhibition in AIA (Atlantic Indoor). with brass, percussion, and guard, similar to the small drum corps association project. They did that for 3? or so years, last year as a drum corps with a short season, and this year would have been year 5

My 16 yr old son is marching drum corps this summer with Impulse. They play on Bb/F Yamaha Brass, as of 2004. They were all G from 99-2003.

The show is titled "Tribute" the tunes are 82-83 SCV opener(giannini), 86-87 Cavaliers production (var on a korean folk song) closing production ...muchachoes/troop/scv... Selections from A. Copland's Rodeo/Red Pony. The other night I dusted off the DVD collection and Showed him the original productions....

=======The following conversation was great===========

He exclaimed...."They're all playing Bugles in the key of G?!!"

I said... "yep"

He said.... "All of the instruments have two valves?"

I said...."pretty much...Muchachos are playing Rodeo on Piston Rotors." (He knows what they are because I played an Olds PR Bari in the Kingsmen Alumni Corps)

This one killed me....

He said..."Then why do we have to use a 3rd Valve?????!!!!" (he is a trombonist in high school, bari on the field)

"It's less resistance, the intonation sounds great and the brass sound is more exciting!!"

I'm thinking = "!!!!!!HELLO!!!!!!!!"

I patted him on the shoulder and said, "The top 3 to 5 World class Finalists have little consideration of the entire activity outside of their own needs and are making these determinations.

The Ruling in 2000 was Instruments in "ANY KEY" not "BAN the KEY of G"

"Some are fearful to choose G because they have been lead to believe it will be EASIER TO ARRANGE FOR, AND PLAY IN TUNE!"

He said..."That's stupid....Symphonies play in mixed keys with varied instrument manufacturers all the time."

I said... "Right ON! You have a Brain! And if you make that argument, and someone counters your observation, you will hear some of the worst logic come from their mouths.

You will hear fear and complacency. If they don't seem to understand, leave them alone... as the old saying goes....."Ignorance is bliss"

Before he went to bed to get ready for the next day of rehearsal (they're not on tour)

He said he said "I'm marching in the wrong era!"

I explained:

"Bugles were designed and used to call the troops over great distances. Trumpets, trombones, tubas etc.. small rooms, small ensembles and concert halls with acoustic architecture to aid the projection and direction of sound."

I said "Give it time, the Honeymoon is over and people are slowly realizing conical G Bugles were designed for the outdoors"

Cylindrical Bb/F's were designed for indoors. That's why there is amplification.

Last word was...."That's dumb and expensive"

I love it when the light goes on in a teenagers head.

He's a good boy.

Edited by rzeilinger1
  • Like 4

why is it that some of the smaller corps that fold just cant merge and become a larger more competitive corps? Not to say being larger means they wont fold, but there seems to be many a small corps that are doing the same thing to keep their head above water and part of their ability to do so is to attract kids to march with them. just saying.

why is it that some of the smaller corps that fold just cant merge and become a larger more competitive corps?

The problem is there just isn't anything to merge with these days. There are too many miles between corps.

In DCI's first 20 years there were still enough regional/state junior corps to merge with. But they're all gone now.:sad:

@rzeilinger1 - That may be your best post ever on DCP. We need to find another thread to repost it so more people can see what a corps member thinks without the BS reasons for Bb/F brass. Thanks, Ron.

Oh, and Impulse was great Saturday night.

Boy, I wish we would all go back to G bugles. I don't buy the arguments that people make about intonation and such. The talent level is so high in the activity overall, and I think kids would adjust just fine. And I have to second what someone else said here.... no one really plays at the fullest volume of the horn now. Can you imagine some of the corps with the size of the hornline now playing full out on a G bugle? It would be absolutely marvelous!