One thing some corps do that really amazes me

That kind of retention happens in professional theatre all the time. In a situation where a show is in previews, often the cast will rehearse new content during the day, then perform the "old" show at night until the new content is absolutely rehearsed, tech'd, and designed up to be put into the show. Go anywhere on the Intertubes and read recent accounts of the preview history of the new "Spider-Man" musical for an inkling of what I mean.

The diff being, of course, is that you expect this sort of retention in pro theatre where the participants are paid for their efforts. The average person would not expect the same level of retention from a bunch of "amateurs" with ages from n the early 20s down to pre-teen....and I would guess that the average 16 year old drum corps performer goes through MANY more changes in a given time than the average pro theatre performer.

This was definitely 2006 at West Virginia. Minute long tear in the drum feature and they still had a large spread that night over the corps that was chasing them down at that point of the season.

DCP blew up over this night.

Ok. Maybe we are thinking about two different events. I do know they had a pile up in 09 in the VA area. I was there cringing in the stands.

The diff being, of course, is that you expect this sort of retention in pro theatre where the participants are paid for their efforts. The average person would not expect the same level of retention from a bunch of "amateurs" with ages from n the early 20s down to pre-teen....and I would guess that the average 16 year old drum corps performer goes through MANY more changes in a given time than the average pro theatre performer.

Not much of a difference. (And I got paid to march my last two seasons.) Many people doing theatre at the pro level are of drum corps age. It's prolly what I would have done if I hadn't done corps in the summers. That's one of the best things about corps-the retention skills you can take away from it are phenomenal.

Not much of a difference. (And I got paid to march my last two seasons.) Many people doing theatre at the pro level are of drum corps age. It's prolly what I would have done if I hadn't done corps in the summers. That's one of the best things about corps-the retention skills you can take away from it are phenomenal.

Oh, no doubt there!

My point, however, was in reference to theater attendees who may not have a clue about what goes on in rehearsal. I've had people watch a show clip with some very easy (to us) drill....something like a line folding in half and merging together and those people wondering out loud "how do they DO that??"

snipped quote -- That's one of the best things about corps-the retention skills you can take away from it are phenomenal.

I agree completely here. Drum corps breeds an atmosphere of quick-thinking, quick-memory. I know without a doubt that participating in the activity had an impact on my personal cognitive abilities. I think the root of high-level retention skills comes from training the mind to focus on the task at hand (be in the moment) rather than allowing yourself to be distracted. High-level performance in any arena demands the ability to adapt and learn quickly.