One thing some corps do that really amazes me

As we all know, many many changes are made to each show during the summer. And anyone who has been around corps knows how rehearsals go. Repeatedly performing the same bars of music/drill over and over again. Now here is the thing that always gets me, is how they can put in something new for the show into the rehearsals, but then go out that night, and perform the old parts of the show. This simply amazes me. Once they have put in the changes during the rehearsal, it must be extremely difficult to now just automatically go back to the previous drill/music the next time they perform the show. As we all know, it is difficult teaching drill and music to students with the difficulty level that corps perform at. It is also difficult when parts of the show change after they have already rehearsed something different 200 times. But I am always amazed when you go to rehearsal, and seeing a change put in, but that night, they are able to block out all the new information just learned over the last couple of days, and still be able to perform the old show to that level of performance is nothing short of amazing. I'll be honest, I am not sure I would have been able to do this without making tons of mistakes. It just goes to show the high talent and intelligence level of these young members of these corps.

Here's hoping for a great year, full of wonderful and exciting changes. And thank you in advance to all the hard work from the members, staff and volunteers who give us all so much excitement and joy throughout the summer.

• Like 5

It amazes me, too! And I think this is one of those "under the radar" lessons of drum corps that builds mental awareness of one's actions and its impact on others.

• Like 2

As we all know, many many changes are made to each show during the summer. And anyone who has been around corps knows how rehearsals go. Repeatedly performing the same bars of music/drill over and over again. Now here is the thing that always gets me, is how they can put in something new for the show into the rehearsals, but then go out that night, and perform the old parts of the show. This simply amazes me. Once they have put in the changes during the rehearsal, it must be extremely difficult to now just automatically go back to the previous drill/music the next time they perform the show. As we all know, it is difficult teaching drill and music to students with the difficulty level that corps perform at. It is also difficult when parts of the show change after they have already rehearsed something different 200 times. But I am always amazed when you go to rehearsal, and seeing a change put in, but that night, they are able to block out all the new information just learned over the last couple of days, and still be able to perform the old show to that level of performance is nothing short of amazing. I'll be honest, I am not sure I would have been able to do this without making tons of mistakes. It just goes to show the high talent and intelligence level of these young members of these corps.

Here's hoping for a great year, full of wonderful and exciting changes. And thank you in advance to all the hard work from the members, staff and volunteers who give us all so much excitement and joy throughout the summer.

Its not that hard

• Like 2

Especially later in the season, the old material has been done so much its almost muscle-memory. The hardest thing is remembering to take the stepoff at the change to the old material and not the new (and thats not that hard), and then it just flows from there.

Edited by AlexL
  • Like 2

If it's a minor change it's not too bad. If it's a major change you'll probably be there until the cows come home.

It is weird the first time you have to do it, especially if you have to wait multiple shows to put in the changes. In '09, there was a new ending put in, we learned it in the morning, but had to wait 5 days to put it in, with three shows in between those days. And then put the new ending in for the regional. That got slightly confusing after awhile, just remembering to keep doing the old drill, after getting the new drill practiced and perfected over the week.

I always thought musical changes were harder to master or forget or delay than visual changes. But that's just me. Learning a change to the music in the morning or afternoon, then having to forget it that night till the next show, or next few shows, that was always awkward.

Hell....I was always amazed when I could pull it off!! I think I only forgot a show-day change one time (we changed the direction of a turn and I forgot it in an early season show)

And they let you live? :tongue:

Edited by Toby