Info about guard, rifles, flags, and sabres

Jennifer,

We were all dumb at one time or another(I still am :huh: ). The only way to get smart is to read, follow the resources given, and ask questions. The people in this forum are so cool there is nothing too dumb or stupid to ask. Besides, many here know all there is to know about colorguard and some. Do like Malibu says and check out those sites, and by all means get as many video's as you can lay your hands on. The information in those video's is invaluable to a newby, and will help you get a good start in what you are trying to accomplish.

Is the guard supposed to wear the same uniform as the band or are supposed to have a different uniform? We currently have the same uniform minus that hats and pants plus a skirt and teardrop. What kind of uniforms is proper for guard to wear?

Careful prowling_lynx, start leaking information like that and the Old Schoolers will nab you and force you into the This Is How We Did It Cult. I've heard rumors of one called Sally the Stern that leads them, among others. ^0^ Burn, baby, burn!

HEY, I resemble that remark! :P

Seriously, I have to agree with Malibu...guard uniforms (nowadays costumes...don't get me started) ARE a matter of preference. This is a topic for discussion with the band director. He will have definite ideas on how his band should look. What look have they had in the past? Uniform-ish? Costume-ish? Is the school or community conservative? Be careful of revealing costumes that show too much skin or are too tight. Think about the members themselves. Would they be embarrassed to wear them? Are they comfortable? Can they move in them? What's the climate like? Will they freeze to death? Put yourself in their place.

I think you should put them in something that complements the band uniform. This works in a number of ways...it can be worn more than one season (just make sure you can get it next year, or buy extras...there's always turnover in guard membership), less cash outlay for members who participate multiple years, can be worn for both marching season and winter guard season.

Many guards wear something that's reflective of the "theme" of the field show.

Amazingly, footwear seems to be a hot button. There are instructors out there who send their guards onto the field in bare feet. DO NOT DO THIS...not even for winter guard. You want their feet protected and supported.

More later as I think on this further.

Edited by SBrancheau

The problem is-i dont konw where to start with my questiongs. I guess in need to learn about rifles the most because we only have 3 in our guard and we dont even know the proper names for our moves-if our moves are actual moves. I guess my first question has to be if you know of any instructors in the Twin Cities, Minnesota. Or possibly you know of some camps or something that we can participate in. We are willing to do anything to help out our guard. Thank you again for your help.

You could contact the Guard Caption head from Minnesota Brass. She and my fiance' marched together with Colts and is very good at what she does. She would probably be kind enough to give you some information. Just go to the Minnesota Brass, Inc. website (www.mnbrassinc.org) and look for Marie's name.

Okay, i will do that.

Actually masterles I have found that sally has been the most help with everything. She is understanding and has given me much information. So before you judge poeple and warn people about them you should really know what you are talking about!!!

And, to go with what sally did say. Our guard has seen their days of uniforms. Their first uniform ever was a BRIGHT orange shirt, like a disco shirt thing, and black pants. Then from there they went to a little white shirt and hot pants and a garter around their leg-that one was quite interesting. Then they came to where we are now in a hot and heavy uniform like the band wears except with teardrops and skirts instead of pants and a hat. Then, 2 years ago the guard captain decided she wanted more of a dance costume type thing and they made thier own uniforms that were tight black pants and little one shouldered shirts with a diagnaled cut to the bottom of it. It was quite interesting. I have actually talked to the quard this year and they are quite comfortable wearing whatever. None of us are very fond of the uniforms now because they are hard to move in and terribly heavy.

Jennifer, check out Fred J. Miller. He has some of the top drum corps designers working for him. If you are on a tight budget, you can still get great ideas from looking through the different collections.

www.fjminc.com

Or you can call them and request a 2003 catalog.....the number is 800-444-3524

Good Luck...

• 3 weeks later...

Jennifer,

I'd really like to help you out as best I can. I think the first thing you need is a colorguard instructor. Many high school band directors don't know crap about colorugard. Hopefully yours does, but an actual colorguard instructor is much better suited to make decisions on uniforms, equpiment and such. Please talk to your director and find out if he is interested in hiring a guard instructor. I know ladies all over MN who are excellent instructors. Please feel free to email me with any questions you may have. My email address is nixon621@hotmail.com.

P.S. Does your band do parades only or do you have a field show?

- Nicky