Should DCI print an individual code for each TOC ticket?

I posted this earlier, but seeing it posted tonight only confirmed my suspicion. It would be very easy for somebody within a corps to post the show code and DCI's phone number for the TOC event to a Facebook or Twitter account. Thus, a person not even at the show could vote on it. While their text vote counts in the "fan vote," isn't this just a bit underhanded?

If DCI has been attempting to validate the integrity of the scoring system, then a loose system of letting any layperson around the world vote is just senseless.

For example, in baseball, fans vote for the All-Stars. However, those same fans don't vote for winner of the World Series. It is fantastic that DCI wants to get more fan involvement, however the fan vote, in its current form, may turn out to be nothing more than a means for corps directors to find the most clever way to network and cheat the system.

• Like 1

There are so many inherent problems with "fan voting" it will never be anything but a cute little addition to the TOC shows. I doubt anyone with any sense will give the results anything but a passing glance.

Cavies and BD both posted the pic of the ballot on FB (the only 2 to so). :cool:

Did anyone try texting in a vote?

Didn't DCI learn their lesson a few years back when they found that the voting for the Murfs show placement was overtaken by some sort of robots. Rex reminded me of that incident just a few days ago when we were talking about this whole fan voting thing. This sounds like another one of their feel-good half-baked ideas.