Early season judging primer

As a primer for newer fans ( or reminder for the vets ) on here, the early season scores are scored with partial judging panels. ( non Texas shows )

There are 5 judges. The captions judged are as follows :

A) GE Visual

b) GE Music

c) Visual Ensemble

d) Music Ensemble

e) Percussion.

( some day, we could do a primer on what the judges are judging in these captions, but thats for another day )

Right now, here in June, early July, the following captions are NOT scored with their own captions ( they are incorporated into the above ). These are the captions :

a) Brass

b) Visual Performance

c) Color Guard

As we move into the season, we will move from 5 judges to 8 judges with 3 added for these 3 additional captions. For example, the large Regional Shows where all the Corps come together to compete over 2 days, will have the 8 judge panels.

Finally, once the Corps get to Indianapolis, there will be 2 more judges added and 2 more captions subdivided for a total of 10 judges. The following are the captions at Championships :

a) Visual 1 judge

b) Visual 2 judge

c) GE Music 1 judge

d) GE Music 2 judge

e) Visual Performance

f) Visual Ensemble

G) Color Guard

H) Music Brass

I) Percussion

j) Music Ensemble

Hope this primer ( or reminder ) helps understand a little more what is being judged ( and not judged ) in early June and July, and then what becomes more important in the judged captions as we move along into the competitive season.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Hope this primer ( or reminder ) helps understand a little more what is being judged ( and not judged ) in early June and July, and then what becomes more important in the judged captions as we move along into the competitive season.

Thanks BRASSO. I sometimes forget when all the judge changes take place. I knew it was less judges in the beginning of the season, but this primer puts everything in perspective as a reminder of exactly when the changes take place.

Thanks again :smile:

yeah the full panels in texas this weekend threw me off

Thanks BRASSO. I sometimes forget when all the judge changes take place. I knew it was less judges in the beginning of the season, but this primer puts everything in perspective as a reminder of exactly when the changes take place.

Thanks again :smile:

You're welcome, Liahona.

yeah the full panels in texas this weekend threw me off

As mentioned above, they had 8 judges in Texas for the Slotted 8 there. Usually however, June gets the 5 judge panels ( such as tonite's shows )

Edited by BRASSO