Should DCI have rules to protect kids from themselves?

Why all the anger? Take a deep breath. The original poster raised it in terms of a question, it said "Should DCI mandate". I should know.

Wait a minute....aren't you the OP? :blink: Why the third person reference?

I'm really glad this topic raised the issue, and that it's possible that some folks in the position to take action (either at an individual corps level or larger) may have had a bug put in their ears. I expressed a legitimate concern as several posters have stated- they have either had friend die of melanoma or they themselves have been the victim of cancer. I'm not making up the issue. I understand that it has become a debate between what everybody did in their drum corps experience (I have none). I am just a worried parent.

<snip>

I see less rhetoric about the way we marched back when dinosaurs roamed the earth and more concern about this being A) not enforceable, and B) a personal choice issue that should be legislated...especially by DCI.

Let's not trivialize folks who don't agree with you by making this about what happened BITD.

I think this is an important topic. I don't agree with making people wear shirts, or really mandating anything, but there is a big problem out there. Here's the thing about leaving it completely to the members to wear sunscreen- after the first week or so of pre-tour, hardly anyone I saw EVER wore sunscreen. There were plenty of warnings from staff to make sure to drink plenty of water... but it's not really the same for sunscreen. I didn't realize that the long term effects could be potentially dangerous until after I aged out. I now regret not wearing sunscreen for 5 solid seasons at all. As much as people would like to downplay it, I believe there is a reason to be concerned.

A lot of hubris being expressed on this thread. Ahh, to be young. It's kind of interesting - we don't bristle at the thought of banning smoking in public places. It doesn't bother us that certain words can't be spoken. It's okay that texting while driving has been banned in many states. And so on. But, by golly, how dare the nanny state make me wear a shirt!

Yeah, it's not raining now, there's no need to fix the leaky roof. But.... things like exposure to UV radiation have effects that show up later. From all the dark tanned bodies that are almost universally present in today's marchers, I'd say the use of sunscreen isn't being pushed very hard. It probably takes precious time away from practicing and all that.

Well..do what you want, but as mom used to say - don't come crying to me about it later.

Smoking- danger to other people through second hand smoke.

Certain words spoken? Doesnt bother me. Words are just words. You can say much more offensive things without using those words, and you can say completely inoffensive things with those words.

Texting while driving- affects other drivers that you may collide with while driving.

Not wearing a shirt? Affects one person, the person not wearing it.

I think this is an important topic. I don't agree with making people wear shirts, or really mandating anything, but there is a big problem out there. Here's the thing about leaving it completely to the members to wear sunscreen- after the first week or so of pre-tour, hardly anyone I saw EVER wore sunscreen. There were plenty of warnings from staff to make sure to drink plenty of water... but it's not really the same for sunscreen. I didn't realize that the long term effects could be potentially dangerous until after I aged out. I now regret not wearing sunscreen for 5 solid seasons at all. As much as people would like to downplay it, I believe there is a reason to be concerned.

Of course it's an issue that members should be aware of (something that parents can influence before members leave on tour). However, let's not make the risk more than research is currently telling us.

When you marched, I'm guessing you stopped wearing sunscreen as the season went on because once you tanned...you didn't receive a serious burn from rehearsal, because you were tanned...there's not the same concern with that. The research I've read shows correlations between folks who had bad burns as a kid and an increase in skin cancer rates......not tans.

Additionally, yes...Drum Corps members are generally very tanned. However, there's not the same concern with that. The research I've read shows correlations between folks who had bad burns as a kid and an increase in skin cancer rates......not tans.

Yep. And in that sense, a tan is a good thing as it makes one less likely to get a bad burn.

Of course it's an issue that members should be aware of (something that parents can influence before members leave on tour). However, let's not make the risk more than research is currently telling us.

When you marched, I'm guessing you stopped wearing sunscreen as the season went on because once you tanned...you didn't receive a serious burn from rehearsal, because you were tanned...there's not the same concern with that. The research I've read shows correlations between folks who had bad burns as a kid and an increase in skin cancer rates......not tans.

interesting. I pretty much never wore sunscreen at all, although that's pretty much my own fault. I also know people who did wear tons of sunscreen and still managed to get severe burns on their skin. That's the danger of fair skin for ya!

Edited by Stick Stack

This is a pointless thread because it underminds what people know whats best for themselves. Kids aren't that stupid: it takes a certain amount of maturity and intelligence to make it through a season. If something hurts, you get it checked out. If something looks wrong, you get it looked at. Drum corps is treated like any other professional sport in that the groups know whats best for their kids and the individual knows what's best for himself. The only requirement that DCI has for rehearsals is that performers are required to wear a head covering, because heat stoke and dehydration is a little more relevant than the long-term possibility of skin cancer.

A lot of hubris being expressed on this thread. Ahh, to be young. It's kind of interesting - we don't bristle at the thought of banning smoking in public places. It doesn't bother us that certain words can't be spoken. It's okay that texting while driving has been banned in many states. And so on. But, by golly, how dare the nanny state make me wear a shirt!

Yeah, it's not raining now, there's no need to fix the leaky roof. But.... things like exposure to UV radiation have effects that show up later. From all the dark tanned bodies that are almost universally present in today's marchers, I'd say the use of sunscreen isn't being pushed very hard. It probably takes precious time away from practicing and all that.

Well..do what you want, but as mom used to say - don't come crying to me about it later.

No one's said that precautions shouldn't be taken to avoid future problems. What we've said is that DCI shouldn't be trying to create rules about member dress in rehearsals.

Is the head covering thing a mandate from DCI or from each corps?

This is a pointless thread because it underminds what people know whats best for themselves. Kids aren't that stupid: it takes a certain amount of maturity and intelligence to make it through a season. If something hurts, you get it checked out. If something looks wrong, you get it looked at. Drum corps is treated like any other professional sport in that the groups know whats best for their kids and the individual knows what's best for himself. The only requirement that DCI has for rehearsals is that performers are required to wear a head covering, because heat stoke and dehydration is a little more relevant than the long-term possibility of skin cancer.

Smoking- danger to other people through second hand smoke.

Certain words spoken? Doesnt bother me. Words are just words. You can say much more offensive things without using those words, and you can say completely inoffensive things with those words.

Texting while driving- affects other drivers that you may collide with while driving.

Not wearing a shirt? Affects one person, the person not wearing it.

I think I am not alone when I say that seeing certain people without shirts during the summer has caused me severe mental scarring. ngvdqg.jpg