Should DCI have rules to protect kids from themselves?

If it were a discussion, then they would be qualitative responses on how we should protect the kids as this is the only logical way to respond to this issue.

Did you read the whole thread ? There were several great discussions going on inbetween the BS.

• Like 3

More than DCI (which really s/b involved in nothing more than contest sanctioning and rules for membership), I think it should be left to each corps to have their own policy. Academy (AZ) and Raiders (NY) will have different needs. That said, I think the corps themselves could likely do with stricter rules about it.

FWIW, here's what the Army Medical Command has to say about it - not much, really - http://phc.amedd.army.mil/topics/discond/hipss/Pages/SunSafety.aspx

Mike

• Like 1

This is exactly why I do not post on this forum anymore!!! (Jim, I am not responding to your quote just posting)

A guy brings up a valid point (do you watch the news?) and he gets hosed!!

This forum is a joke. It used to be a place where valid discussions took place. Now it is just a place where people enjoy "trashing" any point that is made regardless of the topic.

Should DCI make a suggestion to all of the marching members that they should take the issue of skin cancer seriously? Yes.

Will everyone who marches get skin cancer? No.

Will saving a single member by emphasizing the need to be proactive in term of sunscreen and proper protection be worth it? Yes.

Thanks to the poster for bringing up a valid point! Sorry that this "group" of people spends their days trashing every idea.

Hopefully these forum will once more become a place to discuss issues, but I doubt it.

Happy trolling!!!

Skin cancer is a serious issue.

The notion that an event management company can intervene to do a job corps are already doing is not a serious issue.

If it were a discussion, then they would be qualitative responses on how we should protect the kids as this is the only logical way to respond to this issue.

False. This is the only logical way YOU believe to respond to the issue.

Many here believe that it should be a matter of personal choice. Like everything else in drum corps, the kids are treated like the adults that most of them are (and most of the rest are some of the most mature 16-17y\os you'll ever meet). They are given the information. They are given adequate time to apply sunscreen, and nobody forces them not to wear a shirt. However, they have the choice to or not to. Just because something has a risk level to it, does not mean it is always wise to ban it entirely to protect people from themselves (And the risk level varies widely from person to person, and skin type to skin type). As was noted earlier in this thread, there are a myriad of other risks. I almost guarantee most everyone in this thread does potentially risky activities every day, but continue to do so due to personal comfort, choice, or necessity.

You are welcome to your opinion. But everyone else is welcome to theirs, and calling everyone who disagrees a troll shows you really have no place on a message board.

Edited by AlexL
  • Like 3

It's even better than that now. Troopers' new food truck has refrigerated spigots on the side of the truck for cold water. Yes, COLD water from the food truck. (I expect this is for a cool treat at meals, and not how they fill up their personal water jugs, but I don't know that for sure.)

Country club drum corps! :tongue:

Bet they don't even march uphill both ways any more either..... :devil:

Just remembered only GatorAde back then was that crappy Lemon-Lime (didn't taste like it). :shutup: LOL, even had that flavor in a gum. After 3 chews it tasted like spackling.....

Will saving a single member by emphasizing the need to be proactive in term of sunscreen and proper protection be worth it? Yes.

Thanks to the poster for bringing up a valid point! Sorry that this "group" of people spends their days trashing every idea.

This is not what the OP suggested. The OP did not suggest emphasizing the danger and offering suggestions. He suggested MANDATED RULES that said everyone had to wear a shirt.

If you read the thread, and were not just trolling as your post admits to (and is against the TOS), you would see this.

I am glad this topic has been brought up. I don't think DCI should have specific rules because they cannot oversee the compliance of such rules. BUT, the individual corps themselves need to do a better job of making sure the kids under their care are healthy. Use of sunscreens, shirts, ear plugs during rehearsals, shoes quality, the use of hats, making sure the members get adequate breaks for the day, and so on. Corps staffs become the responsible parties to keep the kids safe, as they take over the parental role on the road. Nuff Said.

Why all the anger? Take a deep breath. The original poster raised it in terms of a question, it said "Should DCI mandate". I should know. I'm really glad this topic raised the issue, and that it's possible that some folks in the position to take action (either at an individual corps level or larger) may have had a bug put in their ears. I expressed a legitimate concern as several posters have stated- they have either had friend die of melanoma or they themselves have been the victim of cancer. I'm not making up the issue. I understand that it has become a debate between what everybody did in their drum corps experience (I have none). I am just a worried parent.

Also: To play the devil's advocate: Can you not imagine in the currently lawsuit-happy culture a former corps member suing a corps and director for not mandating commonly accepted best practice in sun protection and as a result endangering minors? And before you blast away at me, I am, of course, not saying such a lawsuit would be either desirable or warranted. I'm just saying some folks might have some serious 'splainin to do.

Also: Let's turn down the invective and deselect the caps lock key. K?

Oh: Love and peace. One more note- I will have both of my hips replaced in the next 6 months. I am 51. The ortho thinks it's likely that all those years I spent carrying around a 40lb. sousaphone contributed heavily (along with me being a fat ### and bad genetics) to the operation. What does that have to do with this argument? I'm sure you can work that out for yourself.

This is not what the OP suggested. The OP did not suggest emphasizing the danger and offering suggestions. He suggested MANDATED RULES that said everyone had to wear a shirt.

If you read the thread, and were not just trolling as your post admits to (and is against the TOS), you would see this.

Oh: Love and peace. One more note- I will have both of my hips replaced in the next 6 months. I am 51. The ortho thinks it's likely that all those years I spent carrying around a 40lb. sousaphone contributed heavily (along with me being a fat ### and bad genetics) to the operation. What does that have to do with this argument? I'm sure you can work that out for yourself.

Question:

I'm 55 and that high mark time on parking lots for 6 years on severly knocked knees ( as well as me also beig a fat ###) has all but crippled me. They won't replace my knees until I'm closer to 60. They say the replacements only last about 10 years and they can only do it twice. I've lost weight, I get the deep injections done under x-ray etc. How did you get them to replace your hips at an even younger age than me ? I barely am able to walk in and out of the stadium on Friday nights and when I stand up, people 10 feet away look to see what that crackle sound was.

Give me some advice on how to get them to replace them sooner, PLEASE

Why all the anger? Take a deep breath. The original poster raised it in terms of a question, it said "Should DCI mandate". I should know. I'm really glad this topic raised the issue, and that it's possible that some folks in the position to take action (either at an individual corps level or larger) may have had a bug put in their ears. I expressed a legitimate concern as several posters have stated- they have either had friend die of melanoma or they themselves have been the victim of cancer. I'm not making up the issue. I understand that it has become a debate between what everybody did in their drum corps experience (I have none). I am just a worried parent.

Also: To play the devil's advocate: Can you not imagine in the currently lawsuit-happy culture a former corps member suing a corps and director for not mandating commonly accepted best practice in sun protection and as a result endangering minors? And before you blast away at me, I am, of course, not saying such a lawsuit would be either desirable or warranted. I'm just saying some folks might have some serious 'splainin to do.

Also: Let's turn down the invective and deselect the caps lock key. K?

There's a pretty standard waver that I had to sign when I marched, mentioning that there are risks associated with the activity, and that the corps, and DCI could not be held liable for any injuries associated with the activity. If I tried to sue for the back problems I have now from marching tenors, I wouldn't have a case.