Should DCI have rules to protect kids from themselves?

ahha.............spats..lmao :doh:

For the 1st time in my teaching career I'm using spats this year. I'm sick of white show polish dripping out of lockers and white shoes that have just passed inspection getting all dirty on the busses.

So, it's white shoes and white spats ! :ph34r:

:rolleyes: Ok, ANYTHING can be rolled out to the enth degree to make a point. Acting as if DCI having a mandatory T-shirt rule may lead to the government banning swimming is just...well....STUPID.

no... my point is that there is no need to govern individual decisions when the decisions are only impacting the person making them.

Once one person's decisions start to impact someone else, then the decisions are fair game for regulation.

Edited by soccerguy315
  • Like 2

This isn't rocket science. Pretty much everyone in the freaking WORLD knows what a t-shirt is, but JUST IN CASE YOU DON'T...... No, a sports bra is NOT a t-shirt. A tank top that has had the bottom cut off that now covers as much as a sports bra, is NOT a t-shirt. A T-shirt HAS sleeves (hence the T implication). A shirt with holes cut out over the nipples... well whatever trips your trigger. Christ sake some people just like to argue to hear themselves talk.

wiki:

A T-shirt (T shirt or tee) is a thin, knitted shirt which is pulled on over the head to cover most of a person's torso. A T-shirt is usually buttonless and collarless, with a round neck and short sleeves.

so, your definition disagrees with wikipedia (which I know is not considered an academic source, but I believe it is appropriate for this topic). You can see it says "most of a... torso" which means a shirt cut off where the bottom of a sports bra is would count. You will also see that it says "usually [has] short sleeves" which is not an exclusive statement. By this definition, shirts without sleeves are not excluded from being tshirts.

You said it was easy to define a tshirt.

My view is that you are not fully considering the ramifications of such a rule. I believe that I have sufficiently shown that it would be open to many interpretations. I think that your view of how easy it would be to implement a rule like this ("because everyone obviously knows what a tshirt is") is vastly over-simplified.

It's like passing a rule that says "poor people get food stamps." Well, without an agreed upon definition for the word "poor", this rule would be useless.

• Like 1

The kind of cancer the OP is speaking of can't really be directly tied to exposure from decades ago in an individual. There is a correlation link between individuals who had excessive sun exposure when they were young and increased rates of skin cancer later on.

THANK YOU! Many people get confused and think that a correlation implies causation!

While I have no experience whatsoever being on the field marching, the best thing to would be to protect yourself! It's summer and it's hot so shirts off are fine; however, a good SPF 30-45 (anything larger is not recommended) sunblock lotion is good; however, it should be applied every 1-2 hours! Make sure to stay VERY well hydrated and since you are out in the sun so much already, it is always good to be in a shaded area all other times!

At the very least, you all will have sufficient Vitamin D in your system, an important nutrient that many of us cave dwellers lack!

Edited by NeutralNovice

Why is everyone missing the real issue here? Bare chests? What is happening to our country's morality? Think of the children!!!!

NO NO NO, this is about equal rights, if one person takes their top off, everyone should "be able" to take it off. :tongue:

Once again, I would never deign to tell you or anyone else how to raise their kids (although plenty of people seem to be qualified to tell me how to raise mine). All I was saying was that there is science that informs these discussions, and no 14 year olds cannot be counted on to make the best decisions. If I were a plumber and we were talking about toilets, I would probably bring that up in order to support my argument. Instead, I come across as a pompass ###, which is probably at least partially true. Party on.

Good. I didn't need to read the rest of this thread. You're a parent. Fantastic. You don't want to have a discussion; you want to be a self-righteous parent. That's your right, of course. But at least be forthcoming about your intentions instead of hiding behind some sort of "legitimate issue."

Oh, right. You're the one with the PhD. I'll just go take my measly undergrad degree and go home. :D

• Like 1

This seems like a silly topic. Not the fact that you can possibly get cancer, but more to the idea that you want the "DCI police" to control the poor choices made by a young adult who needs to get egg on his face. I for one marched with my shirt on in practice and in the blistering heat! I recall not being part of the norm, but I did not care. I knew that I burned real easy and appropriately took the actions to protect myself. This choice had nothing to do with how my parents raised me either.

THANK YOU! :worthy:

[sarcasm]PLEASE TELL ME WHERE YOUR PARENTS DID THEIR POST-DOCTORAL STUDIES! I mean, by the logic of this thread, that's how you wound up at this amazing conclusion, yes?

Oh wait...[/sarcasm]

Oh! True and fun fact! In Arizona when the levels of exposure to UV rays were at dangerous levels, guess what the corps did? They required that t-shirts be worn during the daytime rehearsal blocks. Amazingly, without a non-profit organization aimed at event management's intervention, the registered medical experts working with the corps were able to divine a strategy for dealing with potentially hazardous conditions.

Worse was the "sneakers only at all times" rule in Arizona...In an area where not even life-long residents had ever seen scorpions on the loose. :thumbup:

So if one marching member doesn't follow the rule and has his shirt off for one (really really) hot rehearsal, does the entire corps get fined? Or penalized? Doesn't sound like a good idea to me. But I am glad it was brought up. Interesting discussion (although I haven't read through 9/10 of the pages).

• Like 1