Shows You Love That Have Been Overlooked

Star 86

Glassmen 2001, "Imago". Understatement rarely gets it's due. They were fearless in their show design with the guts to bring things down to such an intimate level at times. Often, I got lost in the moments they created and felt they were performing just for me.

Blue Knights 1996, "The Music of Ron Nelson". Yes, BK did Rocky Point. Forty-eight brass? Very effective use of the hand painted silks.

Edited by warsawstory

Cavaliers 1991- The musical arrangemnts on paper may have looked less than exciting. Why is a corps playing a show with Christmas tunes.But Cavaliers took it a step beyond, and gave the tunes an edgier darker side- while still being highly entertaining. This remains one of my favorite shows of all time,...and on terms of visual brilliance, I am not sure why it doesn't get a lot of attention.

The Top 12 of 2001- This year is the one from the past decade that is my go to. Reason: Music. So much meat in the arrangments that year. Crossmen, Phantom (the first Bartok), Cadets, Glassmen, SCV, BD, and Cavaliers- I don't hear much about because I think it's sandwiched in between 2000 and 2003.. But Cadets playing their collective horns off that year in a show that was supposed to be a collection of non related tunes...wow. ..a great, but often overlooked year.

SCV 1993- I love the music in this show. Lee Rudnicki's article about the season makes it even more intriguing to me, I am a fan of Walton on the field. Johannesburg Festival plus the Henry V music is some of my favorite....I loved how the show grew that year ..particularly the drumline.

Magic of Orlando 1994- I remember being at a show in Pittsburgh that year and hearing the announcer say ..." wait till you hear these guys ..I was at their practice earlier today..huge sound..and probably the most unique drum corps you will ever see". I remember the drumming, the drill, the costumes....just really different for the time...and effective. I really enjoyed seeing this show live, and still love it to this day.

Blue Knights 1994- Trittico and the drill. my favorite Blue Knights show.....but I must admit....this year might one up that one...

Phantom Regiment 2004- the music here, so different. and I get the feeling of something elegant when I listen it. I always felt they could have portrayed the tango a bit more in it....but as it was, still very entertaining. i often think, what if Phantom could have played this show

today? How much more color could they have added to it with piano, keyboards, etc.?

Academy 2006- Maybe this show has a cult following....that I don't know about. But the horn book in this one, as well as the visual....very unique and highly entertaining.

Colts 2008- I mentioned it in the other thread....Night and Day, the opening statement is marvelous. The rest of the show has a very Cadets 02/ SCV of the 80s feel. But the Colts make it their own.

bluecoats 1993- I always heard complaints from my friends that Bluecoats had muddy visuals in the early 90's. But I would counter and defend those years up and down...I wasn't having it in those complaints. I love the 1990- 1995 years , as they had some really entertaining shows. I like 93 the most. The closer, Night in Tunisia is a showstopper. I always appreciate corps that can give us a tag ending ...88 BD..various years of SCV..come to mind. The tag the corps did that year...owned.

Cadets 1988- This one didn't catch onto me until recently. Its possibly overshadowed by the brilliance of everyone else that year. But the drill and arrangement- how the corps sells it is incredible. I admit, it takes awhile , maybe 2 or 3 good listens to appreciate it. But, it sinks in....as something brilliant.

Edited by Dmlkmen

1999 PHANTOM!!! Tchaikovsky's 4th 5th and 6th Symphony! Transcribed impeccably. And the part where the trombones normally play the Russian Orthodox theme of the 6th symphony in the first played by the baritones and contras just makes me MELT.

2004 Phantom with Apasionada 874. Possibly the most beautiful ballad ever played in the history of Drum Corp and its by Piazolla which makes is SO much better. The closer is just amazing. Killer mellos!

2002 Magic of Orlando: Awesome show!

Blue Knights in 1992 were amazing. With all of the craziness of 1992, I think it was overlooked because it was relatively low key compared to the other things going on that year.

Cavaliers intricate drill, Star of Indiana's production of Patriotic themes with large scale visual flare, Blue Devils sick Jazz (harry connick jr, el congo valiente, la suerte de los tontos) and their show stopping "When a man loves a woman", Crossmen's ridiculous chops and groove inspiring percussion... the list goes on!

Such a great year for drum corps! It was my first year experiencing drum corps and I completely overlooked Blue Knights myself until years later I watched it again, listened more closely and was able to really appreciate their phenomenal musicallity and precision. Back then I was a 14 year old kid learning to play drums and the style didnt really grab my attention, but now I go back to that show more than most.

Madison 1995....probably the greatest show of all time....seriously

Cadets 2002....If you haven't been affected by their version of Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy, there's something wrong with you...

'89 Blue Devils show is often remembered as the show that the trumpet soloist midway in the program had his unfortunate frac of the high notes when he got nothing but air to come out ( as if none of us brass players here havn't had lip fatique happen to us ever ). Apparently he nailed it all year, but at Finals it just wasn't to be.

But I love this '89 Blue Devils show... especially the opener. I'll listen to the opener every once and awhile on Fan Network. Thats a ballsy opener right there... even after all these years, it hasn't lost it's lustre one bit, imo.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1