Surreal SCV Moment

Something that has been developing ( for me) for a few years now, in watching SCV is the change from a very distinct identity to one that is much more muddled.

Think of it: Many years ago, there was the distinctive SCV horn sound, one you could identify from a distance without even seeing the corps. Same for the drumline and, at moments, the guard.

Watching the show this year (admittedly on telecast), I had a surreal moment where it seemed I was watching Cavies hornline march around Phantom's percussion, in SCV uniforms.

Anyone else notice this phenomenon? Is SCV even identifiable anymore? Do they know who they are? Is it a result of having Cavies' Director (and marching style, now) and Phantom's drum instructor?

Comments?

:-)

• Like 2

Ever since GR Royer is gone, 1992 - I feel that SCV has been looking for an identity, and still havent found it.

The arrangements of the horn line (now a days) are nothing like what they used to be...I remember GR saying if people cant hum it when they leave the stadium, then it isnt right...I can not remember too many times, in the past 4-6 years, that i can hum anything Vanguard has done, except for Appalachian Spring which they first did with GR.

I hope they decide sometime to go back to their roots and their true style, before the activity ceases to exist.

• Like 8

Something that has been developing ( for me) for a few years now, in watching SCV is the change from a very distinct identity to one that is much more muddled.

Think of it: Many years ago, there was the distinctive SCV horn sound, one you could identify from a distance without even seeing the corps. Same for the drumline and, at moments, the guard.

Watching the show this year (admittedly on telecast), I had a surreal moment where it seemed I was watching Cavies hornline march around Phantom's percussion, in SCV uniforms.

Anyone else notice this phenomenon? Is SCV even identifiable anymore? Do they know who they are? Is it a result of having Cavies' Director (and marching style, now) and Phantom's drum instructor?

Comments?

I can see where you are coming from but I am going to have to disagree. It is not only the sound of a corps that creates the identity, it's everything in between the image and the ideas.

The sound of corps, each and every one of them, changes all the time. Sometimes those changes are sweeping... like the changing of the style of horns that are allowed (G-Bugles, I believe?) or even the allowing of electronics. Sometimes those changes are specific to the corps... like a change in the brand of instruments or a change in who controls a specific caption.

Even though SCV did have that distinctive sound as you mentioned years ago, you are merely looking at a generation or an era in SCV's history, not the whole picture. Does SCV 1989 sound like SCV 2011? Of course not. But the same can be said for SCV 1999 vs. SCV 1989, two championship years. And it can be further said for every other corps out there as well.

Anyway, I think corps identification definitely transcends the "sound" factor. A corps identity lies within their traditions and their respect for the past. So when thinking about SCV, I can still tell it's them from far away. From the way the corps carries themselves to the traditions that have been kept alive since their founding.

Now I know I went deeper than what you were referring to, their sound; however, no corps today sound like they did years ago... at least in my opinion.

• Like 1

I can see where you are coming from but I am going to have to disagree. It is not only the sound of a corps that creates the identity, it's everything in between the image and the ideas.

The sound of corps, each and every one of them, changes all the time. Sometimes those changes are sweeping... like the changing of the style of horns that are allowed (G-Bugles, I believe?) or even the allowing of electronics. Sometimes those changes are specific to the corps... like a change in the brand of instruments or a change in who controls a specific caption.

Even though SCV did have that distinctive sound as you mentioned years ago, you are merely looking at a generation or an era in SCV's history, not the whole picture. Does SCV 1989 sound like SCV 2011? Of course not. But the same can be said for SCV 1999 vs. SCV 1989, two championship years. And it can be further said for every other corps out there as well.

Anyway, I think corps identification definitely transcends the "sound" factor. A corps identity lies within their traditions and their respect for the past. So when thinking about SCV, I can still tell it's them from far away. From the way the corps carries themselves to the traditions that have been kept alive since their founding.

Now I know I went deeper than what you were referring to, their sound; however, no corps today sound like they did years ago... at least in my opinion.

Actually, I didn't just mention sound. I mentioned visually as well.

• Like 1

Comments?

Actually, it's the old SCV marching style that The Cavies adopted and evolved over the years ... although it might no be identical to what it was ... it's the closest thing to old SCV there is currently at the corps... the style from the late 90's/ early 2000's was much further away from anything SCV identifiable and it is good they are trying to incorporate old with new ...

Actually, I didn't just mention sound. I mentioned visually as well.

I think SCV has talked to Michael Cesario, DCI Consultant , and he wants SCV to have the identity of being the " Cerebral Corps " among the mix of Corps out there. Santa Clara Vanguard is searching for the right show theme for this, but it's a work in progress for them and they are struggling with it right now. I'm sure they want to be cerbral, but not ho hum with the audience in the process.

As for SCV current " sound", I personally think the Percussion section ( a good one ) is overpowering in volume with the Brass line to the point that there is an imbalance currently. The Brass line musically should always be front and center ( my opinion anyway ) with the Percusion section becoming an auxillary accompaniment to the music... principally played by the brass section. But the SCV Percussion section is front and center too often in the show and it's playing has two elements... loud and then LOUDER. The viewers eye is drawn more to the SCV Percussion section than to the Visual, Brass line. Even the Guard gets overwhelmed by the SCV's Percussion. Anyway, SCV will figure it all out eventually, I think...... patience is a virtue.

Edited by BRASSO

The least important element of a corps' identity is what you see in the performances. I'm sure SCV is SCV.

• Like 1

I personally think the Percussion section ( a good one ) is overpowring in volume in the Brass line to the point that there is an imbalance currently.

A massive dose of percussion with a little bit of other corps sections.

Rumour has it that Phantom had other sections in 2010.

• Like 1

The least important element of a corps' identity is what you see in the performances. I'm sure SCV is SCV.

I'd disagree with this. I've heard people say ( not neccessarily you ) that " how a Corps carries itself " sets them apart as their " identity ". While this sounds good and all, I have no idea what this means. I assume all Corps carry themselves with pride and love for their Corps, respect for their Corps traitions, etc and act like Gentlemen and Ladies when not in performance. Corps staff and marchers are not caste in concrete either. The Corps staff and marchers change frequently from year to year. Thus, it is the performance that does indeed define a Corps for that year. And that " identity " will change from year to year. For example, The Blue Knights were once defined with an identity of a " Cerebral Corps ". Rightly or wrongly, and without being judgemental with this, they apparently are changing that " identity ", and the long time audiences notice this change in the Blue Knights " identity ". We assume however that the marchers and staff still retain the " identity " of being quality good people in that " identity " process change within the Blue Knights organization.

Edited by BRASSO