any discussion on the guards in dci this year?

guard4me

what do you think about the guard's this year from every corps? blue knights?

what do you think about the guard's this year from every corps? blue knights?

Haven't seen BK.

I've watched many dci groups online and i feel that the sport is not being pushed enough outdoors, for example: There are many groups doing what i would consider a darker show but the concepts aren't going anywhere new. I feel that if you are world class at any level you should be challenging the ''norm'' and making your group everyday prove that you should be the best of the best. I feel as though groups are falling into their own equation of what a good show should be and not taking any risks.

PR is great imo -- so much better than last year. I think the opening dance sequence is really effective, and their work is much crisper and more in sync with the music and overall effect. I hate to dog on last year's show, but much of the work seemed superfluous, and un-necessarily busy. This year, the guard book is much more economical and better articulated. Also, the level of skill, esp. on weapons is vastly improved.

Madison has so much energy...sure it's dirty right now, but there's some really great effects in their show and a lot of inventiveness. I really appreciate how much they move...it's an ambitious guard book for Madison. I see their stock going up.

Does anyone else think SCV's guard is very Cavalier-like? I think their whole show this year is sort of Cavies flavored in some ways.

I agree with above post on Cadets.... they will be rocking by August and this might be their year. Just the guard you'd expect from them, again.

I have not see any other top 12 corps. Spirit looks good on youtube... definite up-and-coming corps.

Overall, I think the level of quality is very high. When you look at what top 12 DCI guards were doing 10-15 years ago versus today... there has been a step up imo. Guards were great back the, too, but the bar has been steadily raised in terms of the level of difficulty and the skills expected of members, particularly dance skills.

Just my thoughts...

I've watched many dci groups online and i feel that the sport is not being pushed enough outdoors, for example: There are many groups doing what i would consider a darker show but the concepts aren't going anywhere new. I feel that if you are world class at any level you should be challenging the ''norm'' and making your group everyday prove that you should be the best of the best. I feel as though groups are falling into their own equation of what a good show should be and not taking any risks.

Seriously? Have you seen The Cavaliers Guard this year? XtraordinarY!

Seriously? Have you seen The Cavaliers Guard this year? XtraordinarY!

Cavies guard is strong but usually are. for sure agressive as always.

Seems to be alot of dirt out there that doesnt seen to be cleaning up with many and a few seem very dated for some reason. Well end of July Im sure will prove different.

• 2 weeks later...

i'm agreeing with you here. but what i'm noticing is that all the guards look the same.. they all spin the same way.. same technique.. same style.. not much setting one guard apart from another. no distinct style... nothing really new, different, or exciting... BORING.... did notice cavies guard on stilts... and phanton has a distinct style... crown w/ some crazy tricks... other than that... BORING

These are supposed to be the best color guards in the world, and no one is pushing much of anything.. Kind of sad.. I'm watching corps almost contantly in straight lines and boxes, guard mostly staged as an after-thought. minimal integration....

i'm agreeing with you here. but what i'm noticing is that all the guards look the same.. they all spin the same way.. same technique.. same style.. not much setting one guard apart from another. no distinct style... nothing really new, different, or exciting... BORING.... did notice cavies guard on stilts... and phanton has a distinct style... crown w/ some crazy tricks... other than that... BORING

These are supposed to be the best color guards in the world, and no one is pushing much of anything.. Kind of sad.. I'm watching corps almost contantly in straight lines and boxes, guard mostly staged as an after-thought. minimal integration....

i see what youn are saying..lots of technique is the same so nothing stands out unless its a gimmick or something...PRs guard is probably one of the cleanest guards in a very long time BUT to me..especially in the movement dept. it looks very 1980s.. I swear I was looking at old SCV or a WGI high school A guard ( very dated and very basic movement ) nice spinning though and as I said clean as hell.

But I think you could be right in your statement. You see the same thing..peggy spins

( maybe time to retire them ) angle tosses, etc etc

Edited by GUARDLING

i see what youn are saying..lots of technique is the same so nothing stands out unless its a gimmick or something...PRs guard is probably one of the cleanest guards in a very long time BUT to me..especially in the movement dept. it looks very 1980s.. I swear I was looking at old SCV or a WGI high school A guard ( very dated and very basic movement ) nice spinning though and as I said clean as hell.

But I think you could be right in your statement. You see the same thing..peggy spins

( maybe time to retire them ) angle tosses, etc etc

I totally understand what you are saying.. it kind of reminds me of PR back in the day of 1996. maybe it looks very 80's because it's not 20 lbs of crap in a 10 lb bag that doesn't make sense???