any discussion on the guards in dci this year?

guard4me

Sorry if I'm taking you too seriously, but that's a silly thing to argue. What makes a color guard the "best"? Their talent? Skill? Passion? If anything, we should be discussing the designers and choreographers who instruct these individuals on what to do. And comparing the two activities, even with all their overlaps, is apples to oranges.

their staff! well that is probably 75% of it!

• Like 1

I'll agree with Phantom's movement program being a bit of a throwback - but - I see how some of todays movement seems to be done for movement's sake - and doesn't always fit the music or theme that well - it seems to be all about "look how bizarre we can be" - or "see how cutting edge our movement can be"

Phantom seems to have made a very conscious desicion to strip their guard program done to the essentials - and it just works for them!

Yup, and I also think there's a correlation between color guard and the dance world. Dance preserves its classical heritage while, at the same time, continually coming up with new innovations in technique and expression to add to the toolbox. Different guards have come up with different approaches to their respective programs, and as you say, what Phantom has chosen to do works for them.

I don't think it's wise to contemplate, for example, retiring Peggy spins. They are part of the color guard equipment repertoire, just as a tendu is part of the classical ballet repertoire. And tendus have been around a heckuva a lot longer than Peggy spins!

• Like 2

i so agree as far as the presentation...spinning skills, written equipment book....just have to respectfully disagree as far as movement...WGI ..HS A class.....I will admit it does work but as you say they are or seem so talented I think movement wise it could have went beyond basic although I suppose it fits. that aside YES beautiful presentation....JMO :smile:

I do agree that it is a little plain.. and repetative.. but... it is very musical... the music is simple... and from what i can see.. those girls are selliing the s*&t out of it! sometimes simple, clean, and effective is the best way to go.... besides.. they are on a football feild, in full lenth skirts... what are u really gonna see from 20 - 50 yds away if they did try to do more??

• Like 2

I do agree that it is a little plain.. and repetative.. but... it is very musical... the music is simple... and from what i can see.. those girls are selliing the s*&t out of it! sometimes simple, clean, and effective is the best way to go.... besides.. they are on a football feild, in full lenth skirts... what are u really gonna see from 20 - 50 yds away if they did try to do more??

Amen! That is the fundamental difference between indoor and outdoor guard, and shows should be written accordingly, IMO. :thumbup:

• Like 3

Why did I like Crossmen's guard in 2010 and in 2011 on FN? The flag book accentuated/es the music well both years. Am I looney? Help!!! Someone please analyze me. I'm trying to understand why I like them. Thank you :-)

Because what they're doing works, and they do it well. I enjoyed seeing it at San Antonio (first viewing). Looking forward to seeing it again in Indy.