Corps at the Crest Walnut, Ca

from what i've heard, i'm surprised at the scores, but then given the same set of judges, i shouldn't be. and i'm really surprised BD scored as low as they did.

guess we'll have to wait until they all move east again to see how things really stack up.

I'm also surprised at the Cavaliers score and that Crown outscored them.

the scores for all the corps are all over the place tonight!!!!

Is scv's guard really better than BD and PR's?

Ummm, no.

Just got off the phone with the daughter. PR had a huge ensemble tear in the middle of the ballad. Everything went to hello in a handbasket.

PR beat themselves tonight. It happens. Learn from it and move on.

• Like 1

Ummm, no.

Just got off the phone with the daughter. PR had a huge ensemble tear in the middle of the ballad. Everything went to hello in a handbasket.

glad to hear there's a logical explanation for their score. they'll figure it out.

Is scv's guard really better than BD and PR's?

I think it's reasonable for SCV to be outscoring BD in content right now. BD hasn't quite figured out how to make the guard do the brunt of the prop manipulation in ways that are seamless and not pulling the members away from their more important performance responsibilities. Relatedly, SCV's guard (and most of the other top guards, actually) are all able to move around a lot more than BD's is right now. ...And SCV's guard is, simply, performing the heck out of their show this year... So the excellence margin is also probably reasonable.

PR's guard is especially talented this year, with a great book. Off nights totally happen. They'll definitely be fine.

It's anyone's game in all categories, that's for sure. (Except maybe percussion).

Edited by saxfreq1128
  • Like 2

Ummm, no.

Actually, SCV beat them. Vanguard was only .1 behind them in San Diego. It's really not that hard to imagine that they're cleaning up faster than PR at this point. The trend since Stockton suggests that's the case...

• Like 4

If PR can bring their A game tomorrow, having the same panel can be a plus. However, when one gets an "Aw, crap!", it usually takes a big show to get marginally out of the hole. Keep the faith!

Not wanting to sound like a "homer" but, SCV's musical programs is horible, and even with alleged "tears" should beat it.

But this is typical of the west to push their corps. On nights where both corps perform equally, Regiment will beat SCV hands down, IMO. Of course, since the percussion line plays close to 50% of the show without the brass line, its not hard to see why they beat Regtiment in brass tonight.

• Like 2

Oh, I agree in regards to SCV's music. And yes, the percussion section is carrying them, but if I knew I had a Rennick coming in, I'd program that way too.

Placements aside, at the end of a show, betcha more people are humming East of Eden or Elsa's or even A Time for us then they are anyone else's music. Why? Because it's not avant garde non melodic stuff or a snippets show where you get blended bits of Bacharach smeared all over for 10+ minutes, complete with PVC pipe.

Call me old school. Don't care. Can I appreciate the difficulty of some of the products and the execution? Of course I can. I can appreciate the effort and the artistry of hockey, but I don't have to like it.

When I show my students corps shows, I'm always very selective. Why? Because it can be the most technically and physically demanding show in the world, but if it's not going to get their attention without a 3 hour discourse on all of the subtle aspects of the show, there will be no interest.

Okay, shutting up now. I hope all of the corps have a great run tomorrow as the Cali tour comes to a close for PR.

• Like 3

Shout Outs,,,,First time in 5 years I missed this show...to many friends there tonight, Wish I could have been there...

First ...Nice SCV. After seeing you at the theater event, I knew you would be surprising people by SoCal tour....keep it up I hope that fire continues to burn and you light it up at Riverside tomorrow, Really looking forward to seeing your show "en fuego" at DATR next week.....I know you will bring it.

Walnut to me, has a mini Allentown feel to it...Lots of alumni show up. It's a reunion of sorts for California folks. Wish I could have seen the VK performance earlier today...and I know Kingsmen had a recruitment booth too. if anyone was there..post. Would like to know how that was...

And, cause I am biased (former member) Socall Dream , nice start guys... Brass score at 14.2 and 6 out of 10 for entertainment caption is awesome...score can only go up from here. I know you still suck...(corps inside joke)...but now, I am a fan, and can give you accolades. Keep it up at Riverside tomorrow.....rooting for you from Denver always...

• Like 1