Bristol show thread

Okay, I'm going to attempt to wade in here. I think that saying Madison's show is junior-high level difficulty is a bit harsh, but not entirely wrong. I've watched their show a few times, and I guess to my eyes, it does seem not too difficult. Not many high tempos, and the visual package as a whole just seems more focused on getting to the park-and-blow segment, not the spaces in between. I mean, when some of the sections have musical features, they aren't moving, and are just standing in a circle of a small form. Would I like to see them moving more? Yes. Will I hate the show if they don't? Not at all. It's still a great show, and should be a crowd favorite this year, no matter what. I just hope they can get their licensing issues worked out, so I can watch the videos again. Just my read on the show.

And I feel for the alums getting into the fight here, but sometimes it isn't worth it. Let the corps do what it does on the field, and that should speak far more than what people can say on a forum, I guess.

• Like 1

"Maybe they should just do a standstill and play Malaguena."

Oooh, oooh...I know, even better, how about some of those killer tunes that the Memphis Blues won all of those titles with back in the 80's!

• Like 1

maybe i dont understand GE but how are they not closer? isnt GE how the crowd should perceive it?

No. " how the crowd perceives" the show is not in the current GE captions at all. As a matter of fact, how the fans view a Corps show is completely irrelevent in the scoring of Corps in current competition. The General Effect " captions ( without getting into a lot of detail here ) is primarily judged by how the GE captioned judges perceive the components of the show ( music, visual, pacing, dramatic effect, etc ) are INTEGRATED with one another. In more simple terms, does the music " fit " the visual, and vice versa to create the desired effect the show designer(s) intended. If you are looking for a key phrase here to describe " GE" it would be " show integration effect ", not " crowd response ". ' Hope this helps. Some of the fans frustration with the scoring is understandable and can be attributed ( my opinion ) to the inability of DCI to explain better to the public how Corps are judged in competition. They've provided the captions, ie " Visual Ensemble ", and number of points assigned, but not an informational campaign to properly explain to the public about what the captions mean, and what the judges are looking for in these captions.

Edited by BRASSO

The thing I find most hard to understand is the 3 point spread between Crown and Scouts. Madison is once again marching a junior high school level of demand barely worthy of top 12. I suppose a name is more important than achievement. Scatter drills as an excuse for visual not very demanding.

I'm just curious, musclebud,... can you name a " Junior High School " in America that you've seen of 10-13 year olders that you claim can do the 2011 Madison Scouts drill ? You don't have to name a half dozen to a dozen or so.

Just name one. Where they are located, and when you saw this Junior High perform this drill. I'm curious thats all, and look to be educated on this. Could you help me and others out here by naming the School and town ? And if you've never actually SEEN a Junior High do this type of drill... how about naming ONE Junior High School in America that you think could. This should not be too much of a " demand " for you to provide, I'd imagine. I await your response.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

I'm just curious, musclebud,... can you name a " Junior High School " in America that you've seen of 10-13 year olders that you claim can do the 2011 Madison Scouts drill ? You don't have to name a half dozen to a dozen or so.

Just name one. Where they are located, and when you saw this Junior High perform this drill. I'm curious thats all, and look to be educated on this. Could you help me and others out here by naming the School and town ? And if you've never actually SEEN a Junior High do this type of drill... how about naming ONE Junior High School in America that you think could. This should not be too much of a " demand " for you to provide, I'd imagine. I await your response.

well technically fails on the blue highlight above

yes please do because I deperately need the help of their director...I have Jr high kids in my group..and ummm........we have enough problems getting them to know what's left and what's right. LOL

Junior High? No. There might be a couple exceptions out there.

High school? There are many High Schools with harder drill than the Scouts this year.

Does it mean they are better? No. But i see what hes getting at with the demand. Musically though, its as hard as any Corps imho

Edited by EuphMMXI

well technically fails on the blue highlight above

Fabulous rifle line there.

But seriously, I have no idea what this auditorium video of a foreign band has to do with anything at all. Ok, so this Junior High band from Japan might be more musically entertaining than some DCI Corps ( at least according to # of views anyway), but other than that, I don't get your point.

Edited by BRASSO

High school? There are many High Schools with harder drill than the Scouts this year.

Even if it WAS true, so what ?

If many High School and College Bands play more appealing music for most audiences than do some DCI World Class Div. Drum Corps... do you care ?

Seriously ? (And if so, tell me why, I'd like to know.)

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Fabulous rifle line there.

But seriously, I have no idea what this auditorium video of a foreign band has to do with anything at all. Ok, so this Junior High band from Japan might be more musically entertaining than some DCI Corps ( at least according to # of views anyway), but other than that, I don't get your point.

no point other than it's jr high aged kids who can totally march the scouts drill. just what you asked for.

please note i don't think they could pull off the scouts *show* (which is a whole different thing).

Edited by corpsband