SCV perc: secret to success

I know FOR A FACT that this is NOT true.

I do not wish to pick a fight about this, but I do know what went on with my son and his switch from PR to SCV. Sure, Mr. Rennick was a factor to the degree that he is so darn good at his craft...and so good with the young people. One is drawn to such a person. But there was no improper recruitment done by Mr. Rennick in my son's case.

• Like 1

I do not wish to pick a fight about this, but I do know what went on with my son and his switch from PR to SCV. Sure, Mr. Rennick was a factor to the degree that he is so darn good at his craft...and so good with the young people. One is drawn to such a person. But there was no improper recruitment done by Mr. Rennick in my son's case.

Nah, I don't think you are picking a fight. :-)

I just know he told a group of several hundred people at a percussion convention that he had "invited them to join him at SCV, if they want to."

This isn't college athletics, I still fail to see the fact that he invited them as being in bad taste.

• Like 1

I dont know what their secret is, not sure if I care. But whatever they are doing this year is WORKING!!!! Just watched again on FN and these guys are DRUMMIN'. I got massive chills and can't wait til San Antonio.

Is is me or does there seem to be an overall improvement in a lot of drumlines this year. Heck even Crown seems to have made some serious strides in that caption. Finally

Edited by musclebud

First, I love this topic.

Second, I remember when I marched Madison 2003, we would have guys mosh to "Killing In The Name Of" by Rage Against the Machine for pre-show hype. Hilarious and memorable!

Third, I switched corps in 2004, marching for Paul Rennick. I went to Regiment because of Paul Rennick. Yes, he was my teacher at UNT, which probably influenced my decision even more (HE DID NOT INFLUENCE ME TO SWITCH. THE DRIVE TO WANT TO DRUM FOR HIM DID. IT WAS MY DECISION, BASED ON WHAT I WANTED). I thought he was the best.

Fourth, the guys and gals of the 2010 Phantom Drumline won High Percussion in one of the best programs and experiences they could have ever had. The feeling of succeeding in a Rennick ensemble, and winning it (even with a sixth place corps) is a statement that cannot be competed with. It's a feeling that only they know, and we can be assured it could equate to "Being On Top Of The World". Why would they settle for anything different? A new drum staff that might change the way they perform, or change their approach, or not see them the same way?

Fifth, I'm loving the Dan Sailer hype, haha.

And finally, it's my firm belief (you all don't have to agree) that a great drum & bugle corps is made up of talented performers that all contribute to their respective captions. All the captions come together to produce that desired result, which is a great drum & bugle corps. I don't know if having a loyalty to the drum & bugle corps itself (including other captions you are not a part of) is the best way to achieve the best product. You might not find very many drummers following the Brass Caption Head to another drum corps, or the Visual Caption Head (but hey, if they do, why not?)

Truly great performers know how to achieve the desired result, and these former Phantom Regiment members/current Vanguard members are obviously continuing their success. Why settle for less? Well, I'm sure this ventures into the topic of "Marching drum corps for philosophies/Marching drum corps for competition and scores.

• Like 1

Oh, and one more thing. As nerdy as it sounds, I had my own pre-show hype in 2004 PR. I would listen to the previous year's show (2003 Harmonic Journey) before shows. Since that drumline was another big reason I changed corps, I used their beats and the corps' fantastic sound to motivate me. :p

It seems like drummers are a different sort of marcher than brass types.

I've seen brass players switch hornlines to follow instructors but have I heard of the same situation that I've heard many times over with drummers: a player starts with Top Ranked Corps and leaves to work with XYZ Instructor at Middle Ranked Corps. Lots of times, drummers talk about their staff in terms of getting to have the XYZ Experience regardless of the corps.

Can a drummer clarify or debunk? It just strikes me that drummers seem to be more in tune with their staffs to the point where their desire to learn from XYZ could easily outweigh the corps that teacher currently works for.

For reference, I've heard this in regards to drummers leaving corps like SCV, Phantom, etc. for corps like Blue Knights. I feel as though it's much more rare for a brass player to spend time with, say, Phantom, and decide to go march for someone else. Of course, there are examples: BD drum major to Madison Scouts, someone I marched with at Colts marched Cavaliers and then Carolina Crown.

Oh, and one more thing. As nerdy as it sounds, I had my own pre-show hype in 2004 PR. I would listen to the previous year's show (2003 Harmonic Journey) before shows. Since that drumline was another big reason I changed corps, I used their beats and the corps' fantastic sound to motivate me. :p

Thanks for an "insider's view" of pre-show hype, the influence of Paul Rennick on you, and the "Dan Sailer hype" reference. He's going to kill me if he ever reads this stuff!

Nah, I don't think you are picking a fight. :-)

I just know he told a group of several hundred people at a percussion convention that he had "invited them to join him at SCV, if they want to."

This isn't college athletics, I still fail to see the fact that he invited them as being in bad taste.

Thanks for more information about your earlier remark. We need to sit down over a cold one and talk more about this. Omaha? Minneapolis?

• Like 1

Is asking a room full of people to come out and audition for a drum corps recruiting? That's basically what ALL instructors do ALL the time. And corps themselves, for that matter. In fact, "Come join us at ______!" is a commonly used phrase to promote audition camps. I really think that's reading too far into it. Or taking a literal definition a bit too far at the very least.