SCV perc: secret to success

Is asking a room full of people to come out and audition for a drum corps recruiting? That's basically what ALL instructors do ALL the time. And corps themselves, for that matter. In fact, "Come join us at ______!" is a commonly used phrase to promote audition camps. I really think that's reading too far into it. Or taking a literal definition a bit too far at the very least.

This was made in reference to what he said to his old PR line. Not some random crowd.

It seems like drummers are a different sort of marcher than brass types.

I've seen brass players switch hornlines to follow instructors but have I heard of the same situation that I've heard many times over with drummers: a player starts with Top Ranked Corps and leaves to work with XYZ Instructor at Middle Ranked Corps. Lots of times, drummers talk about their staff in terms of getting to have the XYZ Experience regardless of the corps.

Can a drummer clarify or debunk? It just strikes me that drummers seem to be more in tune with their staffs to the point where their desire to learn from XYZ could easily outweigh the corps that teacher currently works for.

For reference, I've heard this in regards to drummers leaving corps like SCV, Phantom, etc. for corps like Blue Knights. I feel as though it's much more rare for a brass player to spend time with, say, Phantom, and decide to go march for someone else. Of course, there are examples: BD drum major to Madison Scouts, someone I marched with at Colts marched Cavaliers and then Carolina Crown.

This is true at the very least in my circle of friends. The most extreme example being one friend who marched SCV, then followed SCV staff to Capital Regiment, and then followed that staff to Troopers.

Unlike brass playing, percussion still has EXTREME variations in approach, even to the point where you hold the stick differently. Most of us find a way that we like to drum and then continue along that path. Conversely, sometimes we do not like the approach we are first introduced to, see a different approach that we enjoy in the lot that year and decide to go study with those people. For most of the people I know, it's all about the beats and the approach, the uniform doesn't really matter.

Thanks for an "insider's view" of pre-show hype, the influence of Paul Rennick on you, and the "Dan Sailer hype" reference. He's going to kill me if he ever reads this stuff!

Haha, add me to the "Dan Sailer Hype!" (Marched with him for a season in Groove Pursuit)

As for pre-show hype. I would always crank up the iPod with hard rock/ heavy metal and do my best to just get in the zone.

This was made in reference to what he said to his old PR line. Not some random crowd.

My apologies for the misunderstanding. I still don't know if counts as unethical but it's certainly more controversial!

This is true at the very least in my circle of friends. The most extreme example being one friend who marched SCV, then followed SCV staff to Capital Regiment, and then followed that staff to Troopers.

Unlike brass playing, percussion still has EXTREME variations in approach, even to the point where you hold the stick differently. Most of us find a way that we like to drum and then continue along that path. Conversely, sometimes we do not like the approach we are first introduced to, see a different approach that we enjoy in the lot that year and decide to go study with those people. For most of the people I know, it's all about the beats and the approach, the uniform doesn't really matter.

Interesting! Thanks for the insight!

:huh:

Does it sound good? lmao

And the first beefy tap roll of the 2005 show ("Rhapsody") did not have a check pattern! :thumbup:

Does it sound good? lmao

And the first beefy tap roll of the 2005 show ("Rhapsody") did not have a check pattern! :thumbup:

To me if it sounds good then its good..... So a roll may have a check leading into it.....at least the arranger/instructor is intelligent enough to do what is needed to sound good.

And about that first beefy tap roll in 2005......Who won percussion that year? :tongue: Just playin :silly:

To me if it sounds good then its good..... So a roll may have a check leading into it.....at least the arranger/instructor is intelligent enough to do what is needed to sound good.

And about that first beefy tap roll in 2005......Who won percussion that year? :tongue: Just playin :silly:

BAHHHH!!!!!! You got me there...(as I cry to myself and wimper, lol) lmao!!!