SCV perc: secret to success

Just read on a Facebook post from a current SCV percussion member that they listen to Maroon 5 before every show.

Ok, so this obviously has nothing to do with why they are performing so well this season, but it got me wondering. What where any of your pre-show traditions/hypes/superstitions your corps or sections had before shows?

Just read on a Facebook post from a current SCV percussion member that they listen to Maroon 5 before every show.

Ok, so this obviously has nothing to do with why they are performing so well this season, but it got me wondering. What where any of your pre-show traditions/hypes/superstitions your corps or sections had before shows?

Dead silence for the entire bus ride to the show. No music, no conversation, no sleep. Dead silence.

I don't recall a section or corps thing we did as a whole on the way to a show, but I always tried to downplay the importance of a show as compared to rehearsal (It was all the same to me). The shows I assigned special importance to were always worse because of it, so I never thought about that.

I usually read Oscar Wilde or something totally the opposite of the very dramatic that is drum corps. It helped keep perspective on things for me.

I can't share the details of my bus experience, but I can give a general classification that the Madison Scouts do not do the read/siesta/meditate on the way to the show thing, it's much more of an energetic hype playlist with singing, jumping, and general shenanigans. It's one of my favorite parts of tour, so I'd be pretty disappointed to go somewhere else and be missing out on that.

In my opinion, there's plenty of time to get your head centered while you're actually unloading the truck and hacking, whereas a overcooled mental state can result in a kind of blueness that can and has really produced some nasty show funk for me.

Edited by Stryfe

They could listen to Lady Gaga and still be smoking as long is Rennick is at the helm. Look no further than the man in charge! Just Sayin!

They could listen to Lady Gaga and still be smoking as long is Rennick is at the helm. Look no further than the man in charge! Just Sayin!

Well, and half of the talent that was Phantom 2010 followed him to Vanguard 2011. I seem to recall hearing in Oceanside that ZERO members of Phantom's 2011 battery marched Phantom's 2010 battery.

Well, and half of the talent that was Phantom 2010 followed him to Vanguard 2011. I seem to recall hearing in Oceanside that ZERO members of Phantom's 2011 battery marched Phantom's 2010 battery.

Actually, a third of SCV's percussion section was at PR. One wonders when an entire section follows a caption head. Obviously, it's understandable when an instructor's own students follow him, but what about the others? What are corps doing (not only PR) to ensure it's well being by encouraging loyalty to corps, not instructor? Yes, it is understandable that an instructor's abilities have something to do with the success of the corps, but ultimately the talent of the musicians determines the final outcome of the corps' efforts.

Actually, a third of SCV's percussion section was at PR. One wonders when an entire section follows a caption head. Obviously, it's understandable when an instructor's own students follow him, but what about the others? What are corps doing (not only PR) to ensure it's well being by encouraging loyalty to corps, not instructor? Yes, it is understandable that an instructor's abilities have something to do with the success of the corps, but ultimately the talent of the musicians determines the final outcome of the corps' efforts.

Maybe they had a high age out rate last season......just a guess