Dear Show Coordinators

I think this is an issue that really needs to be looked at seriously by DCI.

I griped and complained a lot last year because of the amount of money I spent to go to the Minneapolis show (I purchased a lot of premium tickets for family members) only to have it rained out. I received nothing from DCI...no gesture of good will whatsoever. I was cranky when it has happened the past couple years at different shows and I'm cranky now just thinking about it.

This year I have cut back on traveling to any shows. I'm going to our local show here in Rockford and the one in Middleton, WI. I bought cheaper tickets this year and not as many.

When it's all said and done, DCI is getting less than half from me than what I spent last year, and the ONLY reason is because of what I "lost" last year because of rain and because DCI has no kind of refund policy.

Whether or not it's industry standards or whatever...I don't care...it is how it is. If people get screwed (I'm blushing for using that word), then they don't like it and are less likely to spend money.

• Like 1

One thing that is not being considered here is that, given an insurer has to underwrite the show, does that take any of the decision to cancel a show out of corps staff's / DCI's hands? I would be concerned that the decision not to do a show for safety reasons could be compromised by the presence of a policy. Further, if the competition is rained out, but the corps perform in standstill exhibition, is that considered for refunds?

I like the idea on principle, but I am afraid that the technicalities would be vast.

Those are all pretty simple things that could be worked out in any contract with the insurer

DCI:

If I see rain in the forcast for Minneapolis, MN on July 16th, i will not be making the trip from Syracuse, NY to Minneapolis, MN. I would rather go fishing than to sit in a rain-soaked stadium waiting for the Thunderstorms and tornados to pass! Last year, we were all deprived of the performances of the top 8 corps and their first time together in 2010!

DCI: Paying $60.00 for a ticket and not getting to see the top 8 really sucked! Paying much more for travel, hotel, etc made it much worse! Can't you at least make it possible for fans to receive a partial refund in a case like that? Take care of your fans if you want your fans to take care of you!

Edited by INSIDETHEFORTY
  • Like 1

This would be an awesome topic for the Roundtable!!! :-)

The best rain insurance policy is never buying a ticket to the Naperville, IL show! :tongue:

It DIDN'T rain this year!

- no wait, we weren't actually in Naperville, were we?

We were just a few miles east in Lisle.....seems to make a BIG difference!

I'm WORRIED about this weekend's shows!

Looks like the storms during Saturday's Middleton (Madison) show are moving into later in the evening or the overnight. BUT, Sunday's show in DUBUQUE looks like it might be either in-between showers or soggy from rain all night and day........let's hope not (but we really DO need the rain!).

I was cranky when it has happened the past couple years at different shows and I'm cranky now just thinking about it.

Eat your prunes when you get cranky sweetie, and make sure to take geratol. :cool:

Maybe this is something someone who is entrepreneurial (thank you spell check) could take on and form their own little drum corp ticket insurance company. Hook up with an event insurer and launch a site for people to pay $5 a ticket or whatever. That way, I go buy my ticket for $40 then immediately go over to this site and pay another $5 per ticket to insure them in the event of issues with the weather.

I'm pretty sure you can get tickets to larger events that have an option of ticket insurance.

• Like 2