Is drum corps out of my reach?

Really? I see all the top corps with 12-16 tubas (Madison Had 20!) I thought it would be extremely hard to get in. And for the working out, should I build muscle mass or should go for a more lean approach, all almost sinewy. I've seen some I&E performances and some of those tubas have similar tone as me. I thought they all needed to be superior!

Last year, Phantom Regiment started the competitive season with only 7 tubas...They recruited hard just to get up to 12.

Since you are starting at such a high weight, you should be able to drop weight pretty easily at first. Eat healthy, do some running, and also build some muscle. Carrying 40+ lbs of metal on your shoulder all summer will be so much easier if you have a solid base of muscle (especially in your legs) and if you're carrying around less body weight.

What year did you march spirit? One of the instructors at my school marched spirit and he told me it will be more fun then other corps. He said crown is like boot camp at times. And like I said I'm not 180 I'm 280 so....

I marched 2005 and 2007. I had fun, but it is an unbelievable amount of work to march a top 12 show, so it's gonna be hard no matter where you go. We had a tuba player in 2005 go from 310 to 240 in the 2005 season, so it can happen. If you are serious about this, START CONDITIONING NOW!!!! Hell, I've lost 30 pounds in the last 3 months just buy cutting out cokes (or soda pop to you yankees out there), counting calories, and running 4 times a week, and I'm not even trying to march :tongue: Don't worry about your weight now, just talk to corps staff at auditions and see what they think you need to do to condition, eat smart about your eating, and you will be fine.

Edited by WOOHOO

Last year, Phantom Regiment started the competitive season with only 7 tubas...They recruited hard just to get up to 12.

Since you are starting at such a high weight, you should be able to drop weight pretty easily at first. Eat healthy, do some running, and also build some muscle. Carrying 40+ lbs of metal on your shoulder all summer will be so much easier if you have a solid base of muscle (especially in your legs) and if you're carrying around less body weight.

Oh okay. I march a sousaphone at my high school. I have never held a true marching tuba. Will the differences be that vast? And since I am starting so heavy, should I just wait two years? I can't lose enough weight to march in 10 months.

I marched 2005 and 2007. I had fun, but it is an unbelievable amount of work to march a top 12 show, so it's gonna be hard no matter where you go. We had a tuba player in 2005 go from 310 to 240 in the 2005 season, so it can happen. If you are serious about this, START CONDITIONING NOW!!!! Hell, I've lost 30 pounds in the last 3 months just buy cutting out cokes (or soda pop to you yankees out there), counting calories, and running 4 times a week, and I'm not even trying to march :tongue: Don't worry about your weight now, just talk to corps staff at auditions and see what they think you need to do to condition, eat smart about your eating, and you will be fine.

Woah that is inspirational! He weight 310? Wow that is amazing. Maybe it's not so far out of my reach after all! Can you message me and tell me what the experience was like? My instructor marched in the 80's he's an old dog hehe.

Don't sell yourself short if neither of those 3 programs work out for you.

If you're in the "south" you still have the option of marching in DCA. If by chance a World Class DCI corps doesn't pan out, consider marching DCA. You'll get plenty of experience if you ever want to make the move to DCI.

Don't sell yourself short if neither of those 3 programs work out for you.

If you're in the "south" you still have the option of marching in DCA. If by chance a World Class DCI corps doesn't pan out, consider marching DCA. You'll get plenty of experience if you ever want to make the move to DCI.

Can't do DCA it runs into September. School starts mid august right after DCI finals.

Audtion with several corps. Distance from South Carolina to Blue Stars Camps (Indianapolis) and Madison Camps (Bloomington) not much farther than going to camps in Atlanta. Chances are you will find someone to car pool with.

Attitude is everything. Corps will tell you what conditioning program they want you on.

You need to find a corps that you feel comfortable with. Distance to camps should not be the determining factor

Get in with Carolina Gold, CorpsVets or Alliance to get the feel of corps and to start conditioning (I think they may have a hole somewhere for you). They can give you some great experiences and ideas on how to prepare yourself for marching a full season of DCI World Class.

Edited by Toby

Audtion with several corps. Distance from South Carolina to Blue Stars Camps (Indianapolis) and Madison Camps (Bloomington) not much farther than going to camps in Atlanta. Chances are you will find someone to car pool with.

Attitude is everything. Corps will tell you what conditioning program they want you on.

You need to find a corps that you feel comfortable with. Distance to camps should not be the determining factor

I didn't know you could do that. What if two corps need me?

Edited by NewTuba2011

I didn't know you could do that. What if two corps need me?

You get to pick which one you want to at that point.