Loudest Drum Corps

This topic comes up at least once a year, and every time I've got to say the loudest corps I ever heard from 1978 Spirit of Atlanta, at both the end of the opening "Walk Him Up the Stairs" opening fanfare and the company front push in "Let it Be Me." The latter in Denver resulted in the entire audience standing and remaining standing for the entire last minute of the show...something I haven't witnessed since...even considering the 1980 Spirit of Atlanta.

1991 Bluecoats. Nutville anyone?

Crown 2009

I don't trust my memories of live shows in the old days, but in terms of the past few years, Crown's big brass impact in 08 was pretty #### loud. And the loudest corps I heard in 2010 was Boston by far. Particularly the ballad. That just got louder and louder. And louder.

Spirit seems pretty loud this year.

I was on the business end of Spirit's '78-'80 hornlines and have the Tinnitus to prove it.

The recordings might have been better back then if Spirit hadn't buried Ken Kobold's needles so often...

I have a recording of 1979 DCI Midwest, where the "sensurround" chord in "Let It Be Me" perfectly matched the inherent timbre of my tape recorder.

The locked-in sound was amazing!!!

Mine would have to be between Boston Crusaders 2001 and Cadets 2002. Both of them blew my face off in warm up and on the field.

Good to see this here. Surprisingly, Cadets 2002 is the loudest 64-person line I've ever seen in real life. Shame they didn't have a show built to show it off.

Edit: In fact, if one were to search a certain internet website for "cadets: rocky point holiday", one would find an example of this volume. Keep in mind that this was recorded after a long day of rehearsal.

(Now I'll go back to not-commenting on the bizarre media link policy that DCP has. :) )

Edited by whitedawn

94 Lancers for me...

Here's my question:

Who saw both 1980 Spirit and 1994 Lancers in person? Which one was louder?

Edited by kac

Crown the last few years has got " loud " covered pretty well too.

I don't think it's the volume, so much as the orchestration. For instance, two people playing, one an octave lower/higher, will sound louder than two people playing on the same note. This is how Klesch writes and it works pretty well, unless you have tuning issues (which Crown rarely has). Just write 5ths or 4ths in the bass and you've got a VERY solid low end (with the harmonics giving support to the high end). It's about arranging smarter, not blowing harder.

Not saying older arrangers didn't know this, but back then there seemed to be disregard for perfect tone quality and more on just blowing your mind out. Crown uploaded a video inside their horn arc and played a space chord-type exercise, but I didn't get the impression that the air was going to come through the screen and blow me away. It just had better tone quality than G bugles.

• Like 1

Every time they head west, the Blue Knights are impressive with their sound. Must be the elevation change but either way, they always blow me away when I see them. :smile: