Loudest Drum Corps

I haven't been too exposed to loud corps in person..... but when I listened to Phantom Regiment in the lot this year playing Canon. That was the loudest thing I have heard in my life. I couldn't tell whether the ground was shaking or if I was shaking. I did not expect that wall of sound at all. XD I was so scared I didn't know what to do! Lol! What I find crazier is that when I heard them, I was told that they weren't even close to their loudest!

Multiply that by about 4.8 and you will know what 1980 Spirit of Atlanta sounded like...

I remember a story from a band director on RAMD (sort of a DCP predecessor) who hosted them at his school; he told them to aim their warm up arc toward a particular house where the owner was always complaining how loud his band was...

Edited by IllianaLancerContra

1. 1994, Bridgeport CT. Our corps and BD were waiting around for the parade to start.

BD started their warm ups and did their circle. Staff invited a bunch of people to listen and come in the center of their circle.

My body was vibrating with that wall of sound. Pure magic. There were a couple of passerbys who didn't know of drum corps in that circle. The look

on their faces, priceless.

2. 1992, Hershey PA. : 10 rows up on the 45. Star of Indiana's opening hit. Body vibrating, sound was fantastic.

3. 1985, Bloomfield NJ ? : Small, small high school stadium. Garfield, BD and Santa Clara. That was an insane powerful lineup for that venue.

Multiply that by about 4.8 and you will know what 1980 Spirit of Atlanta sounded like...

I remember a story from a band director on RAMD (sort of a DCP predecessor) who hosted them at his school; he told them to aim their warm up arc toward a particular house where the owner was always complaining how loud his band was...

Uhhh, that was me :cool:

How about Madison '84? That was pretty darn loud!!

OK - did I get the gist correct? I guess it must have been more recent than RAMD...

No, I first told of that back on RAMD

The show in New Orleans screwed up housing and Whitely asked if I could house more than Cavies.

We ended up with Cavies in the gym, Spirit in the hallways and I think Northstar ( unless they were a different year ) and maybe Crossmen.

All corps were very apprecitave of us all working to make the best of it.

It was Spirits turn to use the field and I was chatting With the horn staff, they asked if there was anything they could do for me. I asked if they could go to the back sideline , face THAT house and play Georgia.

They asked : Is that a Spirit person

me: no

Them: Someone from Georgia ?

Me: no

Them: then why ?

Me: Thats the house of the ######## that always complains that my 40 piece band is too #### loud

everyone laughs and the horns move to backfield and crank it up.....and never a complaint from that house again

Hey, thanks for remembering the story, it's one of my favorites :shutup:

• Like 1

No, I first told of that back on RAMD

The show in New Orleans screwed up housing and Whitely asked if I could house more than Cavies.

We ended up with Cavies in the gym, Spirit in the hallways and I think Northstar ( unless they were a different year ) and maybe Crossmen.

All corps were very apprecitave of us all working to make the best of it.

It was Spirits turn to use the field and I was chatting With the horn staff, they asked if there was anything they could do for me. I asked if they could go to the back sideline , face THAT house and play Georgia.

They asked : Is that a Spirit person

me: no

Them: Someone from Georgia ?

Me: no

Them: then why ?

Me: Thats the house of the ######## that always complains that my 40 piece band is too #### loud

everyone laughs and the horns move to backfield and crank it up.....and never a complaint from that house again

Hey, thanks for remembering the story, it's one of my favorites :shutup:

That was just days before Ott died, wasn't it? I saw them about 2 weeks later in Michigan City (where they allegedly broke the glass in the press-box)