Did I make a mistake?

Being a relatively new fan of drum corps, I have been trying to get my hands on as many audio performances of shows from this year as I can. Now, seeing the many changes that various corps have made to their shows, I feel like I've wasted some money.

Should I throw away the APDs I have now and wait till the end of the season to get them? Another reason I bought audio so early was because of the price... 2.99 is a lot more appealing to me than 3.99, but not if the quality is not as good as it could be by August, or the show is different in any respect.

What do you think?

• Like 1

True dci buffs and alums really like early season recordings because of how raw and different they are. Especially because much of the music gets watered down by the end of the season. I see no mistake.

if you like the music, you can listen to it evolve over the course of the season. It's actually pretty interesting to see all the changes that happen. There are always changes, and obviously any corps performs at a higher level in August than in June, but early season recordings definitely have their place.

I also think it's interesting to hear the changes, and to think which ones you think helped the show and which ones didn't, because sometimes you will find a change you think was not for the better. The judges may not agree with you, of course. Besides, buying APDs is a good way to support your favorite corps.

Depends on how much you like the show. If you follow the corps through the season, it can be fun to hear the show evolve. I know right now there's a pretty good deal on the "early season bundle" for $20 that includes at least 20 tracks covering first shows from most of the open and world class corps. (If you already bought some and would prefer the bundle, go ahead and buy it--DCI will reimburse you for the member tracks that you already bought separately if you email support@dci.org, I believe.)

I think mid-season APDs probably aren't the best way to spend your money, but then I spent $80 to get the Fan Network subscription so that I could listen and watch the corps evolve through the season, which may be why I don't find the idea of buying early season APDs super appealing. I did buy a few last year for the shows I really liked. This year, though, I like too many shows!

Anyway, know going in that the end of season CD is going to be by far the best audio short of the Blu-Ray or DVD. It's not cheap, but it's totally worth it, especially this year when there are so many shows with amazing music.

Glad you are excited about drum corps! It's always good to see new fans!

Edited by skywhopper

I also think it's interesting to hear the changes, and to think which ones you think helped the show and which ones didn't, because sometimes you will find a change you think was not for the better. The judges may not agree with you, of course. Besides, buying APDs is a good way to support your favorite corps.

Thinking about the changes myself. And still kicking myself for losing a cassette a friend made and gave me BITD. One corps he recorded dumped their concert (I said BITD) number and no other recordings have surfaced. Hades, no one really knows now about the change.

I did, and I am very happy I got the recordings... if not for one reason than for the other that I helped support a handful of corps

and skywhopper, thanks for letting me know that they'll reimburst me... I had no idea. Is there a time limit as to when you can do that?

Edited by connorthemello

and skywhopper, thanks for letting me know that they'll reimburst me... I had no idea. Is there a time limit as to when you can do that?

Not sure. I'll bet you can PM user drumcat here (he does the audio engineering among other things for DCI) to find out exactly what the policy is.