Battle on the Border VIII

I haven't seen BK or Madison live, but while I think Blue Stars' show is a more interesting design than either of those, it also appears to be more difficult.

How does one reach these conclusions regarding shows that one hasn’t seen live?

• Like 3

From my understanding, Blue Stars did win percussion last night in Van Buren.

There was supposedly an issue with one of the judges the night before in Lebanon, IL who totally destroyed the Blue Stars in Music Ensemble, and there was "someone of importance" who I'm not going to mention that supposedly "said something" to this judge afterwards, and this judge was there again last night in Van Buren, AR. They did not post recaps to either show, interestingly enough.

I think the last name of that judge is Davis. Anyone know anything about this guy?

If, as you state here, " someone of importance " after the show " said something " to a judge in a show in which they did not like the Blue Stars score, and the next night that judge altered the score to be more in line with " someone of importance ", not only does this reek of political influence peddling, but it just reinforces in some people's mind the political influence that is believed to be already out there in some quarters. Some people are aware that the G7 proposal was a slotting system proposed for 7 Corps, but that through alleged political maneuveting the G7 ultimately morphed into a touring TOC concept comprised of 8 Corps, one of which was the Blue Stars. But that being set aside for a moment, how would you as a poster become aware of this " person of influence " from the Blue Stars that " said something " to a judge ? Wouldn't it be reasonsable to assume that if there was any nefarious attempt of influence peddling that at the very least that person of influence would make sure that posters like you are not aware of it ? My guess, if posters like you are made aware of it... and if what you are saying is true... then my guess is that there is nothing here that would warrant one's concern. The fact this person of influence talked with the judge afterwards and its public knowledge tells me that there is probably nothing nefarious at all with the contact. Staff talk all the time with judges after shows. I've been involved in the past in post show critiques where judges provide input, suggestions, and explain their scores, and staff provide feedback to that info as well. This part anyway, is not unusual at all. As a matter of fact, it is principally the means by which judges and staff educate and learn more about the shows and the performance abilities of the marchers within that judge's caption to the benefit of both staff and the judges.... and ultimately the marchers themselves.

Edited by BRASSO

this " person of influence " from the Blue Stars that " said something " to a judge ?

He did not say that this "someone of importance" was from the Blue Stars. And I see he has now edited his post to remove that section. Unfortunately it's been quoted a few times since then.

Recaps for Van Buren are now up, Blue Stars did win Percussion.

Edited by Bill M

Probably the same manner in which we all make predictions on here in preseason of the placements in August. There is no need to see a Corps live in order to have an opinion on it. Nor is there any requirement to have seen any Corps live in order to make placement predictions either. We make August placement predictions here before even tryout camps start. How is this any different ?

Edited by BRASSO

What I don't understand having looked at the recaps for Lebanon and Van Buren is the scoring of the Open Class corps. In the Lebanon recap Music City have been included with the World Class corps amd came seventh overall. In the Van Buren recaps Genesis have not been included with World Class, despite getting a higher score than Pioneer. Which is correct?

:blink: One can do so by watching the Fan Network videos and then using one's experience and intuition to make a guess and experience an opinion--that's what the phrases "I think" and "appears to be" indicate.

I'm not saying anyone should agree, or that I'm even right. I'm sure I'm probably not! I change my mind a lot throughout the season, and seeing a show live definitely has the potential to change my mind, which is why I pointed that out. I think it's valuable to talk about our opinions about these shows with folks who have a different perspective or may possess more information. If you have a different opinion about the relative difficulty or design interest of the shows, I'm up for a discussion!

If I didn't couch my opinions in sufficiently guarded language, I apologize. I've edited the post to make it a little clearer (I hope). :thumbup:

Edited by skywhopper

He did not say that this "someone of importance" was from the Blue Stars. And I see he has now edited his post to remove that section. Unfortunately it's been quoted a few times since then.

Recaps for Van Buren are now up, Blue Stars did win Percussion.

" sound and fury... signifying nothing ".. ( Shakespeare )

I agree it probably made sense to delete the allegations that he made.

What I don't understand having looked at the recaps for Lebanon and Van Buren is the scoring of the Open Class corps. In the Lebanon recap Music City have been included with the World Class corps amd came seventh overall. In the Van Buren recaps Genesis have not been included with World Class, despite getting a higher score than Pioneer. Which is correct?

WC and OC should not be ranked together. DCI made an error when posting the Lebanon scores.

@ Skywhopper - Thanks for the clarification. I had interpreted it as meaning that you hadn't seen the other shows at all. Sorry for the confusion on my part.

Edited by Roark1
  • Like 1