Cascades Equipment Truck Crash

From the staff:

There definitely was damage done to the battery. At least two (and probably three due to bent hardware) tenor drums, a bass drum frame that was damaged pretty bad, and considerable possibility of additional warping and/or damage from the impact that until we thoroughly examine it cannot be determined for several more hours.

The front ensemble equipment is a bigger concern to us at this point. And the electronics are a guessing game until we can get them into an environment we can safely hook them up and test them.

Right now we are in a towing yard dismantling what is salvageable from the internal structure of the trailer to assist in transporting our equipment in a safe and protective environment. It is a sad day to see a piece of our fleet in such condition.

GOOD NEWS: No damage to the King Horns!! No damage to the PVC boxes ;) No damage to the new uniforms!! No damage to color guard inventory.

We will send a report at the end of the evening. But the word on the street is that we will survive!

• Like 9

Hopefully, Pearl is already on the ball with replacements.

Garry in Vegas

Wow. I am shocked and saddened for the Cascades. I will definitely look at buying something or donating at their souvie booth tomorrow in SA.

For those of you who aren't familiar with I-35 and the Waco area, it is a terrible stretch to be driving at night. There are so many things that make it dangerous - lots of traffic and overnight truckers, only 2-3 lanes, road construction (it was down to 1 lane where the accident occurred), and lots of bad drivers. It's just unfortunate that the Cascades got the bad end of the stick this time...

• Like 1

I hope Cascades Souvie stand is up in SA tomorrow, I would like to donate to the corps.

Via the Cascades Website:

Thank you to the drum corps community for being so supportive. We are on tour and we don't have an equipment trailer, so this is very serious.

The trailer is a complete loss. The frame has completely buckled causing serious damage to keyboard instruments on the floor level, damage to battery percussion instruments and drum major podiums that were located in the rear of the trailer.

This trailer has been with the Cascades for a few decades now and has certainly done a great job for us! We just recently repainted and renovated the interior in 2009, but now, she will rest in Waco, TX.

The good news, is the equipment damage is contained to some battery instruments, but, one battery problem is like lossing them all! Unfortunately there are also new Adams keyboards that are a complete loss. The new King Ultimate Brass, new uniforms and all guard equipment are intact. The percussion will be performing tomorrow in San Antonio due to the kindness of Pearl Drums and their connections with a local area High Schools.

The members had plenty of visual rehearsal today and took a nap during the heat of the day. They are in great spirits and are ready for a wonderful performance tomorrow.

After a grueling removal, inventory, photos, interior gutting and reloading process, the assets have now arrived in San Antonio and with the help of many we will have a wonderful weekend.

As most know, the corps closed shop in 2008 due to finances and has worked so hard, not only to return with class, but, to rebuild with better equipment, instruments, and this year, new uniforms. This has meant that our budgeting has been as tight as you can possibly run a ship. Of course, insurance will eventually help solve financial issues, but today, we need to keep these students moving forward.

We have rented a 48' trailer from Penske and will be renovating it on Sunday while the students are at I & E. If you are interested in helping with renovation that day at Kitty Hawk M.S. 840 Old Cimaronn Trail, Universal, TX please contact Pat Davis (425) 210-5980.

Please consider donating to help keep our 53 year history alive. Thank you.

They need our help. Speak with your dollars via the Cascades website. Speak even louder with your applause tomorrow afternoon.

I'm hoping somehow that Adams will come through and help replace the needed instruments that were damaged. Man do I feel bad for them.

Edited by Zeke