Crossmen

Not meaning this as a personal slam, since I don't know the kid and don't know the circumstances, but if he were TRULY special, he would have stayed at Crossmen and helped build the corps.

Shame he didn't find what he was looking for at Crossmen.

I think he was probably looking for a gold medal...

If the Crossmen are stronger and worth the time, members will stay. You don't pay $1000's of dollars as a kid to help build a program.

Heh...

I did...

I have to respectfully disagree. If everyone had that attitude, "lower echelon" corps would never come back and would continue to wither away into oblivion.

Fortunately, not everyone feels that way, and some feel that it is worth the time, money and effort and ultimately very rewarding to help build a program.

There is a Crossmen guard age-out who I believe is marching her 8th season this summer. Now she personifies "special." :worthy:

Fair enough. Let them spend their time helping build a program, it leaves more spots open for stronger programs, of which they'll never know if they could make and probably in the end didn't want to in the first place.

If the Crossmen are stronger and worth the time, members will stay. You don't pay $1000's of dollars as a kid to help build a program.

I completely understand you're not supposed to insult people on DCP,

but seriously, #### you and everyone else who agrees with you.

I would have killed to have been a part of the Boston Crusaders from 98-00.

1998: 15th place

1999: 9th place

2000: 5th place

2 people come up to me.

One kid says: "I marched in BD's 2009 championship program"

The other says: "I marched in BAC from 1998-2000"

My reaction is: "HOLY CRAP!!! 1998-The RED SHOW!?!! Can I have your autograph? Uh... yeah I guess that's kinda cool you have a medal and all, but SERIOUSLY I'm talking to someone who built BAC up to 2000!"

Edited by NR_Ohiobando
  • Like 2

Fair enough. Let them spend their time helping build a program, it leaves more spots open for stronger programs, of which they'll never know if they could make and probably in the end didn't want to in the first place.

I'm know that a lot of kids know they can make upper echelon corps. they choose to stay where they are because to them, the Crossmen or anyothet corps for that matter, is more important to them than a medal

Edited by xmarcoestradax

I met a guy once who boasted that he had marched in five different world class corps. My only thought was, how sad.

But back on topic, I haven't yet seen or heard Crossmen, but I sure am looking forward to seeing and hearing them next week.

Sounds like a commitment issue on his part.

I'm know that a lot of kids know they can make upper echelon corps. they choose to stay where they are because to them, the Crossmen or anyothet corps for that matter, is more important to them than a medal

Yeah, that's kind of what I'm saying. It's probably better for them to stay at the corps they're at, they're less selfish than I am. I personally, wanted to make sure that I was spending 3 months at the best program I could. Personally, I feel like there are quite a few corps out there that have really strong programs. Crossmen is just not currently one of them. There's a reason why they are placing where they are.

I like Crossmen's show this year... sort of. They've got a lot of heart. But it's just so dirty. That's a lack of training and experience. This is tough to say because they have had so many strong shows in the past that just make your heart melt after you pick up your jaw from the floor. Perhaps they will rebuild it. Perhaps they won't. With only a select few seasons for most kids to march these days, it wouldn't be my top pick. But that's me.

Yeah, that's kind of what I'm saying. It's probably better for them to stay at the corps they're at, they're less selfish than I am. I personally, wanted to make sure that I was spending 3 months at the best program I could. Personally, I feel like there are quite a few corps out there that have really strong programs. Crossmen is just not currently one of them. There's a reason why they are placing where they are.

I like Crossmen's show this year... sort of. They've got a lot of heart. But it's just so dirty. That's a lack of training and experience. This is tough to say because they have had so many strong shows in the past that just make your heart melt after you pick up your jaw from the floor. Perhaps they will rebuild it. Perhaps they won't. With only a select few seasons for most kids to march these days, it wouldn't be my top pick. But that's me.

I understand what you're saying as well. There have definitely been problems within the organization, but from what I can tell, people are doing what they can to fix that. An entirely new staff top to bottom, and hopefully as the corps continues to improve we can attract more experienced members and keep hold of the ones we have for those years they want to march. When I was trying out, my favorite corps was the Cadets, but because of financial reasons there was no way that was going to happen for me. So, I went to Crossmen and I have to say. I'm glad that I didn't end up anywhere else. I had an experience there that I wouldnt trade for the world. I marched in 09 and I know what people say about the show and that pretty much noone liked it. But, I see it as a turning point in the corps and the realization that something needed to be fixed

I'm guessing every kid wants something different out of their corps experience. If someone is unhappy at Crossmen, it's probably best that they move on. But if a great talent wants to stick around, that's fantastic! Regardless of placements, a corps that's doing entertaining shows that the audience likes and the members enjoy performing is going to do better retention-wise, and so from that angle, I think Crossmen are definitely on the right track this year! :thumbup: