BD 2010

With my first Fan Network subscription, I've been going back and watching a lot of shows from '09 and '10. Trying to get eddicated. :satisfied:

I think I've watched the BD 2010 show online about five times now. While I always applauded the visuals, my wife thought the whole show was terrible, especially the music. I agreed on the latter point.

But with repeated viewings, the music doesn't seem nearly as cacaphonic as it did at LOS when I saw the show for the first time. I'm sort of rethinking my personal opinion that the Cavies should have won.

Blame it on the oil can? I don't know. And it doesn't change my view that as you stray too far from traditional marching music, you pick up fans who live and breathe music but turn off would-be fans who can't understand what's going on and wonder why that show won.

So bottom line is that I retract my past statement that I never heard more than three notes in a row in the same key in the 2010 BD show, and the snide references to "free jazz."

That said, I applaud the new direction this year, and both my wife and I, viewing on Fan Network from Asia and despite the limitations of streaming audio/video, are enjoying more shows more than we did watching last year's performances at Indy.

• Like 2

With my first Fan Network subscription, I've been going back and watching a lot of shows from '09 and '10. Trying to get eddicated. :satisfied:

I think I've watched the BD 2010 show online about five times now. While I always applauded the visuals, my wife thought the whole show was terrible, especially the music. I agreed on the latter point.

But with repeated viewings, the music doesn't seem nearly as cacaphonic as it did at LOS when I saw the show for the first time. I'm sort of rethinking my personal opinion that the Cavies should have won.

Blame it on the oil can? I don't know. And it doesn't change my view that as you stray too far from traditional marching music, you pick up fans who live and breathe music but turn off would-be fans who can't understand what's going on and wonder why that show won.

So bottom line is that I retract my past statement that I never heard more than three notes in a row in the same key in the 2010 BD show, and the snide references to "free jazz."

That said, I applaud the new direction this year, and both my wife and I, viewing on Fan Network from Asia and despite the limitations of streaming audio/video, are enjoying more shows more than we did watching last year's performances at Indy.

I am a Cavaliers fan, but I am certain BD should have won. Their show was innovative and interesting, not to mention they were by far the cleanest corps out there (with the exception of the percussion section).

The first time I saw BD I thought, "Some interesting things in there. Not my cup of tea, but interesting. It is going to win though." Now when I watch it I like it more and more each time I see it. I am not a huge fan of the music by itself, but how it compliments the visual and how the visual compliments the music is a 10 to me. Not the most entertaining show in recent years, but definitely one of the most intellectual shows in recent years.

One's first impressions are not the same as one's impressions after a dozen or so listenings or viewings. There is a lot of music that didn't

gel with me the first time I heard it but now are amongst my favorites (much of Pat Metheny's recent works are like that to me). And some music

that is simple and beautiful at first listen gets stale and boring real fast. I believe drum corps is like that too. Hard to tell what shows will have

true staying power, but I believe 2010 BD will be an artistic marvel 10-20 years from now.

Hard to tell what shows will have

true staying power, but I believe 2010 BD will be an artistic marvel 10-20 years from now.

I wouldn't be surprised if BD '10 turns out to be this generation's Star '93

• Like 2

One's first impressions are not the same as one's impressions after a dozen or so listenings or viewings. There is a lot of music that didn't

gel with me the first time I heard it but now are amongst my favorites (much of Pat Metheny's recent works are like that to me). And some music

that is simple and beautiful at first listen gets stale and boring real fast. I believe drum corps is like that too. Hard to tell what shows will have

But this begs the question: Are the designers designing for the fans in the stands or to sell DVDs for future viewings?

Admittedly, my opinion has changed on many shows after repeatedly viewing in my living room. But if that's the case - if the finals night show eludes me - why make the trip (or spend the money) to go to the oil can?

But this begs the question: Are the designers designing for the fans in the stands or to sell DVDs for future viewings?

Admittedly, my opinion has changed on many shows after repeatedly viewing in my living room. But if that's the case - if the finals night show eludes me - why make the trip (or spend the money) to go to the oil can?

My answer to that is the same as always: drum corps shows need variety. The market for entertainment is highly segmented. Not all shows will appeal to everyone. But hopefully everyone can find a show (or shows) that they really like.

• Like 1

While I really loved BD 2010 on video, I thought it was just phenomenal live (I saw it in LOS). You had to be there in person to get a sense of how they used field coverage. So many different sounds coming from different parts of the field but perfectly coordinated. The last 4 or so minutes are pure genius from and design and performance standpoint.

And yes, the show did incorporate many elements of "free jazz," but that is not necessarily a bad thing. It makes it all the more impressive they could pull off this kind of music (which is hardly ever done in drum cops) so well.

• Like 2

My feelings exactly! "Through a Glass Darkly" is one of the greatest designed shows both music and visual wise ever put on the field, imho.

• Like 4

As I related the day after finals last year, the connection between the SOI alumn (particularly 93') and BD 10 as they serenaded all the age outs at semi's (amid a nearly unending standing O and lots of tears) was palpable, emotional and will stay with many of the BD age outs forever. It was like the "mantle of misunderstanding" was passed to another corps and another generation.

Edited by Plan9
  • Like 1