Year 2020

There will be more corps in 2020 than now. World class will be of a more consistent quality. It is getting tighter and tighter each year.

The trend is against this. I see no real effort on the part of DCI to increase the number of corps. Certainly it's not something they discuss or mention as a priority.

From the Drum Corps World annual census of active junior corps (dark blue line) along with an extension of the trend (the light blue line):

corps-count.png

Based on this pattern going back 40 years, I expect we'll have just 23 junior corps left in DCI by 2020 (the black dot) unless something changes drastically.

Again, they never folded. Their Tony awards and Broadway run seem to say differently. They just left DCI to follow other opportunities.

Again, that's not drum corps. That's Blast!, Shockwave, Brass Theater, or whatever the name currently is. They ceased being a drum corps when they added trombones, french horns, multikey brass, and stopped competing in DCI.

They were/are DIFFERENT. thumbdown.gif

They are NOT an active junior drum corps.

I was responding to what daneilray said and I am accurate with Star. They left the junior drum corps activity for reasons other than financial. They changed instruments and stopped competing in DCI on a marching field. They also had members who would be considered overaged.

Also, another poster aluded to other corps who left junior corps for other reason other than financial.

Edited by jjeffeory

Again, that's not drum corps. That's Blast!, Shockwave, Brass Theater, or whatever the name currently is. They ceased being a drum corps when they added trombones, french horns, multikey brass, and stopped competing in DCI.

I was responding to what daneilray said and I am accurate with Star. They left the junior drum corps activity for reasons other than financial. They changed instruments and stopped competing in DCI on a marching field. They also had members who would be considered overaged.

Also, another poster aluded to other corps who left junior corps for other reason other than financial.

Yes, while they are not an active junior corps, they still never folded. They just stopped being a drum corps, but that's different than folding.

• Like 1

The trend is against this. I see no real effort on the part of DCI to increase the number of corps. Certainly it's not something they discuss or mention as a priority.

From the Drum Corps World annual census of active junior corps (dark blue line) along with an extension of the trend (the light blue line):

corps-count.png

Based on this pattern going back 40 years, I expect we'll have just 23 junior corps left in DCI by 2020 (the black dot) unless something changes drastically.

Flip that chart over, and you have the % of corps that provided a quality experience for participants... or at the very least played in tune.

Again... quality > quantity.

The activity has been pruned of some dead weight... and all corps, and new ones that will be started, have a much clearer focus and a much higher bar in terms of quality of experience they must provide for both the participants and ticket holders.

Now, does that graph just do World Class, or Open Class too? Cause there's 22 world class corps right now, and that graph doesn't really account for outlying years like 2009, when we added corps, or that stretch between 1987 and 1992, when corps went up quite well. Predictions are just kind of that, predictions.

But then again we are in quite the economic crisis, and that can't be helping out start-up corps. When this recovers, hopefully more corps will be able to start up, or come back.

Here is a factor that may be an indicator here...

When corps fold, there is nothing for the kids to participate in... they go on to other corps.

With Star... not only was there still something for kids to participate in, loads of kids that still could have marched in drum corps stayed with the Star organization... performing the rest of their eligible competitive years. if that does not tell you something about the quality of the experience they provided, and the fact that they continued on... don't think much else will.

• Like 2

Now, does that graph just do World Class, or Open Class too? Cause there's 22 world class corps right now, and that graph doesn't really account for outlying years like 2009, when we added corps, or that stretch between 1987 and 1992, when corps went up quite well. Predictions are just kind of that, predictions.

I'll answer that, since the graph is based on my census. This includes EVERY North American junior corps that appeared on the field (in competition or exhibition) during a season.

I'll answer that, since the graph is based on my census. This includes EVERY North American junior corps that appeared on the field (in competition or exhibition) during a season.

Thank you. Wasn't quite sure. :thumbup:

I still hope we'll see either random years where the corps go up, or a trend where the number increases as the economy improves. Or we could see an increased international presence, that wouldn't be too bad at all. Maybe put the "I" back in DCI?

Thank you. Wasn't quite sure. :thumbup:

I still hope we'll see either random years where the corps go up, or a trend where the number increases as the economy improves. Or we could see an increased international presence, that wouldn't be too bad at all. Maybe put the "I" back in DCI?

Nobody likes it more than I do when the number of active corps goes up. Unfortunately that just doesn't happen very often.

Nobody likes it more than I do when the number of active corps goes up. Unfortunately that just doesn't happen very often.

I know, but it did happen in 2009, so we could see it go up again, even if it's only a few corps at a time.