Year 2020

Yes.

Keep dreaming. The numbers from the last 10 seasons show the reality of the situation:

2001--loss of 9 corps

2002--loss of 5 corps

2003--gain of 3 corps

2004--loss of 9 corps

2005--loss of 1 corps

2006--loss of 5 corps

2007--loss of 7 corps

2008--loss of 5 corps

2009--gain of 3 corps

2010--loss of 3 corps

As the economy recovers (3-5 years) look for drum corps to become more international. Huge following in pacific rim. DCI tours to include exchanges with international corps. Cyber connection to mature permiting wider access.

Did I miss something? Are drum corps folding right and left? Why do you think there will be any less drum corps in 2020 as there are now?

Well thankfully, a proposal from a couple of Corps Directors to kill off 20 Corps in one full swoop at least has bought us some time so that 20 Corps woudn't meet with the Death Panel right away. So at least theres SOME good news here that such an attempt to lose Corps has been rebuffed... at least temporarily anyway. Had they gotten their way, we'd have lost almost 2 dozen Drum Corps from today in the blink of an eye, and theres no way in the world we'd grow 20 more to replace this number over the next 10 years, plus add to it, in order to show total DCI Corps numbers growth from today by 2020.

Edited by BRASSO

Yes.... the total number of "DCI" drum corps has gone down in the past decade. There's no way to deny that....... but most of the corps that have folded were fairly small and had financial issues. Since 2003ish, the number of World Class corps has remained pretty steady.... actually it has risen in the past couple of years. I only see evidence that these 23 World Class corps are getting stronger...... To suggest that many of these corps will fold in the next 10 years... based of the fact that several "lower division" corps have folded in the last 10 years is not using proper logic. If you think the resources, traditions, stability, etc.... of some of these corps are equal to the current WC corps, I don't think you're being very realistic. Once again, DCI is showing strong financial stability right now.... I just don't see the need to make these alarmist posts. Are you trying to discourage people about this activity that we supposedly all love?

Once again, DCI is showing strong financial stability right now....

But the individual corps aren't on unshakeable footing - that was the whole point of the G7 proposal - even the top corps are feeling the pinch.

Mike

I just don't see the need to make these alarmist posts.

Are you trying to discourage people about this activity that we supposedly all love?

This thread is simply about the sheer number of corps.

These are not alarmist posts. They are pointing out the facts.

I have been around the activity since before DCI. We all love the activity. If we didn't care about it's future we wouldn't talk about it.

Well, there's one so far.

Any others?

Beuhler? Beuhler?

Actually - maybe, but not in DCI.

SDCA - yes, DCA - also yes. The province of Quebec is revitalizing its local circuit and just had their first show a week ago. I believe there are similar efforts in other parts of North America.

If there is growth it will be in that kind of non-touring local circuit model, and that excites me far more than DCI does at the moment.