Corps Numbers and Instrumentation?

Several corps are only fielding 12 contras. But I assume they are running 76 brass and using the other four elsewhere (cymbal lines maybe).

Update: Judging by the SA FN video (and assuming things that look like holes are holes):

Cavies: 16 contras, 80 brass

BD: 12 contras, 76 brass (extra guard?)

Cadets: 16 contras, 80 brass

Crown: 16 contras, 80 brass

SCV: 12 contras, 76 brass, 4 cymbals

Phantom: 16 contras, 80 brass

Bluecoats: 16 contras, 80 brass

Boston: 14 contras, 78 brass (this looks intentional, no holes)

Madison: 20 contras, 84 brass (smaller guard?)

BK: 16 contras, 80 brass

Blue Stars: 12 contras, 80 brass (28 baris/euphs I believe)

Spirit: 12 contras, 72 brass, 4 cymbals

Glassmen: 12 contras, 76 brass

Troopers: 12 contras, 72 brass

Academy: 12 contras, 76 brass, 4 cymbals

Colts: 12 contras, 72 brass, 6 cymbals

Crossmen: 12 contras, 80 brass, 4 cymbals (some # of flugelhorns)

Edited by skywhopper

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could be wrong but I think Crossmen are marching 80 with a Plate line. I wouldn't know the exact split either because of the Flugel line as well

I could be wrong but I think Crossmen are marching 80 with a Plate line. I wouldn't know the exact split either because of the Flugel line as well

If a corps does that, or pulls the 86 member line of Crown, they usually take the numbers out of the guard, in order to balance it out.

Does Crossmen split their trumpet section 4 ways? Or is it like a bari/euph section, where baris are 1st and 2nd, and the euphs are 3rd?

If a corps does that, or pulls the 86 member line of Crown, they usually take the numbers out of the guard, in order to balance it out.

Does Crossmen split their trumpet section 4 ways? Or is it like a bari/euph section, where baris are 1st and 2nd, and

the euphs are 3rd?

When I marched we had 24 sops with 3 parts split in 8's. Now that the Flugels were added I'm not sure what the split is now. I remember counting 8 Flugels I believe, but didn't count trumpets :/ it did seem like a smaller mello line so maybe they took from there. As far as the euphs and baris, it was two Bari parts and one euph part

Yep! Love it! Also, it looks like Colts have 6 cymbals, but only 72 brass.

I'm pretty sure Crown only has 80 this year. Madison looks like the most brass by my count with 84.

Edited by skywhopper

Yep! Love it! Also, it looks like Colts have 6 cymbals, but only 72 brass.

I'm pretty sure Crown only has 80 this year. Madison looks like the most brass by my count with 84.

Maybe they shrunk back down, because I know in '09 and '10, they had 86 in the brass line.

And I think you're right about Madison. The extra four tubas bumped them up to 84

Maybe they shrunk back down, because I know in '09 and '10, they had 86 in the brass line.

And I think you're right about Madison. The extra four tubas bumped them up to 84

Crown has been marching 80 (24,16,24,16) since 2008.

Crown has been marching 80 (24,16,24,16) since 2008.

Really? Huh, thought they were at 86, at least I believe they tried to get 86, then shrunk it down to 80?

Brass - 80 (Sop -24, Mello - 16, Bari-8, Euph - 16, Contra - 16)

16 euphs!? Jealous!

16 euphs!? Jealous!

It's probably more common than you'd think. Especially if you want a darker, richer sound to your hornline, you'd use euphs. Plus there is Phantom and BD, with their all euphonium sections! :worthy: