Bob Bellarosa Is Gone

Thank you Mario.

Most sincere condilences to all that knew "The Kid", there is a very large hole in my heart today.... Godspeed Bobby...

Mario-what a great story-people like Bob Bellarosa are why we all love this activity and cherish the time we spend with drum corps people regardless of where or when they marched. I met Bob in Syracuse at the NY State contest in 1957-anyone remember the "barracks",at the State Fair, that they housed all the corps in with the metal bunks with no mattresses? I was a rookie with the old Summerville Shoremen and was diligently trying to get the scuff marks out of my white bucks with white polish, sitting on the steps of the barracks. All of a sudden a guy with a New York city accent showed up and said "Jeez, kid, in the big corps we have rookies polish our shoes". I said "I'm a rookie, but these are my shoes". He then sat down next to me and chatted for a couple of minutes. He actually talked to me like I was a veteran, told a couple of jokes and favored me with that great smile. I had no idea who the heck he was but when a walked away, a couple of older guys from Summerville said-"wow, you know that guy--that's Bellarosa". They were really impressed that he and I were sitting there talking like old friends. He was the first of a long line of drum corps characters that I've met over the years. There is something absolutely unforgettable about Bob Bellarosa and I'll miss knowing he's not there anymore. RIP "Kid"

Mario,

As usual, whenever you write about someone, you capture their essence wonderfully - and you've done it again here.

Even though I had known Bob's name and reputation from my junior corps days back in the Fifties, I had never had occasion to actually meet him - until we were introduced just a few years ago in Clifton. After a couple of questions about where and when I marched, he launched into stories about mutual acquaintances from that era - and in minutes we were chatting and laughing like old friends.

He is one of the guys that drum corps was fortunate to have, and it's a loss to all of us now that he's gone.

thank you for your musings Mario.....the drum corps world has lost an icon and my soul still hurts today. I first met Bob and his wife in '62 and got re-aquainted with him at the GAS reunions, where he was an avid supporter and performer in the I&E shows, usually playing old bugles in older uniforms.......gonna miss ya Kid, but you two lovebirds are back together where you've wanted to be

Guido

The Selden Cadets Alumni wish to offer our condolences to the family of Bobby Bellarosa. May he rest in peace.

On behalf of all his Buglers Hall of Fame sisters and brothers, deepest condolences and respects are offered to the family of Bob Bellarosa, and to the several generations of drum corps marchers and fans who, largely due to his generosity and welcoming spirit, will always consider themselves his friends.

• Like 1

This is very sad news indeed. More drum corps history is now gone with him...