One Moment That Brought You Back

2009 - Santa Clara Vanguard - Ballet for Martha: the company front floored me! - been a long time since drum corps gave me chills like that

:cool:

• Like 1

I continue to be a fan - having aged out in 1977. I love the unique sound of bugles and drums - enjoy the velocity of drill - the pagentry of guard, listening to drum corps arrangements of tunes - which I usually enjoy more :)

I sit and dream of the original DCI corps - SCV, BAC, Madison, Troopers, Cavies, Blue Stars, and GARFIELD - and how I could see them at CYO Nationals on one night, then at World Open a few days later.

Then thinking of the next era of Phantom, Blue Knights, Spirit, Crossmen and BD, and how BD pushed SCV and the rest of the activity.

And watching the newbies grow and develop to find a niche of their own - of Bluecoats, Crown.

I'd like to see and hear some of the muscial heritage of the older corps - I want to see and hear BAC play Conquest - not snippits of a few chords or eighth notes.....

My participation as a fan keeps my heart young.

This drum corps thing - it never quite leaves you....

How very true. From the early '80s to today ... from our sons' involvement to watching one of our grandsons on the field this summer ... words can't describe the emotion.

Thanks to all who participate in this experience called Drum and Bugle Corps.

Ma and Grandma Tye

1989 Phantom with New World, and 1990 and '91 Star of Indiana!!!! Hooked ever since!!!

Was hooked in 93, started to wain on interest after 2003, then SCV 2004 made me go wow, followed by 2005 Cadets, started to wain after that.....then Phantom Regiment 2008 just blew my mind, been hooked ever since. Up to that point, I was wondering when I would witness a legendary show like Cadets 83, BD 86, SCV 87-89, PR 89, Star 91, Cavies 92, BD 94 etc....I thought those days were behind us (imho) then Phantom Regiment 08 changed that.

Well, "bringing you back" kinda implies that you were going to leave and I have only felt like leaving drumcorps behind for the last 3 years or so. So with that said, what "brought me back" each year?

2008: Phantom Regiment's "Spartacus" show. One of the greatest drumcorps moments of all time, as far as I'm concerned.

2009: Carolina Crown's "The grass is always greener" This was really a "down" year for me, and this show barely got me to stick around and see if anything good would come out of DCI.

2010: 3-way Tie: Carolina Crown's "A second Chance" The music in this show was just awesome. I loved every minute of it.

Blue Stars' "Houdini" Great, great show with SO much GE and just entertaining as all get out. I am biased because I am a magician.

Phantom Regiment's "Into the light" Great show musically and visually. Man, that was some monster drill! Just beautiful.

This year is actually BETTER than last year! I am amazed. I was just about to completely "throw in the towel" due to all the electronic crap out there, but I'm still here, for now. I'm still very skeptical, but optimistic at the same time. I want to love this activity again, but it will all depend on what the future holds.

Oh and as far as 2011? Carolina Crown's "Rach Star" show is just amazingly awesome! It by itself would be enough to bring me back next year, so I guess I'll be here another year...

Edited by Cardman

Madison-88 hooked me for life... Also SCV 88- which I felt was better than 89, and BD 88.

Star-91- Not initially but through time, growing through HS at that era it was easier/ more accessible to get into Cavies, and Phantom, but over the years it's still gets mr excited about corps!

Blue Devils- 93- a better screamer show?? I think not!

Phantom 94- Claire De Lune- Made me love Ballads!!

Cavies 95- Planets maybe best music ever for a field show

SCV, Madison- 97- Inventive and expressive at their best

SCV-99 cemented my love for them as my favorite corps not named Blue Knights... Speaking of... BK-99 Best BK show ever.. My favorite for sure!

Cavies- 00, Boston 00-

SCV 01- Lullaby interrupted by Huge Full Corps Hit? Yeah thatd bring me back any year!

02-04 Cavies, 05 Cadets

Cavies, Phantom BD 06- maybe my fav top 3 ever...

Crown 07- Best Show to place 6th? Show that keeps me excited about this activity- Hell Yeah!

Phantom 08- if anyone left the Activity this shoulda brought u back!!

Crown 09- great Concept I thought deserved to win but so did BD and they did:-)

2010- Pick a Corps- All corps top to bottom entertaining cept BD hahaha... Great Year only one upped by....

2011- Didn't think it'd live up to 2010 but it has! When the TOC started it turned a lot of us off but what happened this Summer while those shows happened was awesome. People on DCP followed the show with corps from 8-25 more closely than the TOC! A great show of how the competitiveness and entertainment of every corps has risen in a big way for 2011!!

Wes P