Marching Technique Question

At the two shows I've attended, I haven't been in a good position to look at feet. Do any corps use a "prep step" technique? What I mean is, instead of using a pivot technique where the performer does a sharp pivot at direction changes, are any corps having students take a half step in the new direction? Related to that, do any corps close movements with the toe? So, on count 8 of an 8 count move, the right foot would stab toe-first and the left foot would close on one.

Thanks.

It seems like all corps besides Cavaliers, SCV, and PC use a toe-first halt method. The other three, that use the bent-knee marching style, roll through count 8 with the right foot, before bringing in the left. And I know that these three corps DO NOT use a prep step for direction changes at all.

A lot of groups are using the toe halt. And im actually not aware of many people who prep step, nor pivot either, they mostly finish the phrase with the ending foot still pointing the direction the rest of move, then step one is in the new direction.

• Like 1

A lot of groups are using the toe halt. And im actually not aware of many people who prep step, nor pivot either, they mostly finish the phrase with the ending foot still pointing the direction the rest of move, then step one is in the new direction.

Good stuff-thanks for the responses.

Good stuff-thanks for the responses.

you teach in NoVa at all?

curious for anyone's thoughts on using foot placements with bent knee forward technique at the HS level? Positive or negative. We do straight leg backwards so obviously placements would work fine there.

Right now we pivot in direction changes on count 1, and I feel like we should stop doing that...

(I've talked to a couple people on here about this via PM, but if other people have thoughts I am very interested)

you teach in NoVa at all?

No, but I'm the visual instructor for a HS band in the Baltimore area. I've been teaching a variation of the prep-step technique that I used in drum corps, but I've always been curious if other corps used similar techniques.

To another comment: I am not a fan of the bent knee style (like it's used by the Cavaliers et. al) because it's too hard to clean at the HS level.

This doesn't answer your question, but the actual "feet" I've seen live and on FN, the feet don't even come off the ground! The marchers seen to almost drag their feet on the turf both coming and going. I even questioned where the traditional drum corps "roll step" even existed any more.

Would anyone with eyes better than mine care to comment?

At the two shows I've attended, I haven't been in a good position to look at feet. Do any corps use a "prep step" technique? What I mean is, instead of using a pivot technique where the performer does a sharp pivot at direction changes, are any corps having students take a half step in the new direction? Related to that, do any corps close movements with the toe? So, on count 8 of an 8 count move, the right foot would stab toe-first and the left foot would close on one.

Thanks.

Prep step and toe halt are two major components of the Blue Devils' marching technique. Any corps that operates under the BD school (e.g. Mandarins and Academy) will march this way.

*Note on prep step: It's not a step in the new direction; you keep moving in the old direction. For example, coming from a forward march to a right slide, count 8 would be straight in front but with your foot angled 45 degrees to the right.