Why does DCI continue to blackout finals?

At the movies, I understand as Saturday is a busy night to push your way into hundreds of theaters. But why not online?

Observing their online marketing strategy the past few years, it seems DCI takes steps wherever possible to make sure their traditional revenue streams, ticket sales and DVD sales, are unhurt. But I believe there is a broader potential in online streaming of Finals.

The diehards willing to drive 500 miles...will continue to do so .The diehards who pay $120 for high quality produced DVDs...will continue to do so. Those who do not, are left in the dark (or crashing DCP :) )

The NFL has shown us that blacking out events hurts attendance and exposure rather than help. Unlike certain professional sports, no DCI fan will argue watching on a TV is better than going live. If we could go see it live, we would.

Could you imagine the exposure as HS band seasons are starting up? And casual fans across the country if a $10-15 Finals stream was offered?

not only that, the potential revenue it could generate,............I would watch at home for sure,............

Yes, many of us would, but a $10-15 is less than half of what DCI would make selling a $30-40 DVD at the end of the season. That's my theory on why they blackout FInals, because of the DVD sales. People with the top level of the Fan Network have access to the VODs from Finals, but they have already purchased the DVD, so they get to watch the stuff.

Because they want you to buy tickets.

• Like 1

That's likely, but as I've mentioned inanother thread: I am currently not buying a ticket. I didn't buy a ticket last year, or the year before, and haven't gone to finals since it was a reasonable travel distance from where I live (in Southern California). You know what I do buy: Fan Network. I also mentioned that I would be willing to pay the ticket price to Finals to live stream Finals.

But if that is DCI's reasoning for not live streaming finals, then they fail: because I'm STILL not buying a ticket to finals, and won't in the foreseeable future. But I'd pay extra for Finals live stream. DCI's is LOSING money not streaming Finals (if they did it the right way, which I outlined).

That's likely, but as I've mentioned inanother thread: I am currently not buying a ticket. I didn't buy a ticket last year, or the year before, and haven't gone to finals since it was a reasonable travel distance from where I live (in Southern California). You know what I do buy: Fan Network. I also mentioned that I would be willing to pay the ticket price to Finals to live stream Finals.

But if that is DCI's reasoning for not live streaming finals, then they fail: because I'm STILL not buying a ticket to finals, and won't in the foreseeable future. But I'd pay extra for Finals live stream. DCI's is LOSING money not streaming Finals (if they did it the right way, which I outlined).

And your plan makes sense to me, perc, though I myself would not buy a high-cam stream of finals for $75+. But you are in a completely different place than OP. He is willing to pay $10-15 to stream multicam finals. I don't have a good response to somebody who thinks that's a workable business plan for DCI. Maybe you do.

And your plan makes sense to me, perc, though I myself would not buy a high-cam stream of finals for $75+. But you are in a completely different place than OP. He is willing to pay $10-15 to stream multicam finals. I don't have a good response to somebody who thinks that's a workable business plan for DCI. Maybe you do.

Casual people are not gonna put down $29.95, I might, but not everyone else, that's the goal here. Also this will not include VOD. Just a live stream of finals. In 480p. How will that make me not buy a DVD? I'm not getting the DVDs anyway.

Edited by Rare_Candy

At the movies, I understand as Saturday is a busy night to push your way into hundreds of theaters. But why not online?

Observing their online marketing strategy the past few years, it seems DCI takes steps wherever possible to make sure their traditional revenue streams, ticket sales and DVD sales, are unhurt. But I believe there is a broader potential in online streaming of Finals.

The diehards willing to drive 500 miles...will continue to do so .The diehards who pay $120 for high quality produced DVDs...will continue to do so. Those who do not, are left in the dark (or crashing DCP :) )

The NFL has shown us that blacking out events hurts attendance and exposure rather than help. Unlike certain professional sports, no DCI fan will argue watching on a TV is better than going live. If we could go see it live, we would.

Could you imagine the exposure as HS band seasons are starting up? And casual fans across the country if a $10-15 Finals stream was offered?

I think this is a great idea, and I also agree that DCI is missing out on a lot of money and exposure. I don't think it will keep people home, I think it will spark more interest and possibly lead more people to buy DVD's once they see how good the show is. I also think some people who have always thought about going to finals but haven't may see what its like and decide its worth it to go. I think this will happen a lot more than people not going so they can watch it at home. If there's enough interest, DCI might make money off advertising as well, and the cheaper it is to watch the show, the more people will watch it, the more you can charge for advertisers on the site. I also think about a million high school and college age kids who can't afford to go to finals will throw down $15 to watch finals online. I know about 30 or so myself.

of course, but flying all the way to Indy (from Seattle, WA) is a bit of an expensive fare in the summer. :\ I suppose it's all about the money, but with the economy affecting everyone these days, especially my wife - who is still looking for work after being laid off last summer - dci finals being 2000 miles away is just an impossible trip for us. :( Not to mention, I'm stuck at work until 5 tonight (which is 8pm in Indy) and if I wanted to go to the theater tonight, the closest one showing it to me is in Kennewick and that's at least a 2-hour drive for me if I'm putting the pedal to the floor.

This has been the case for the past several years. Since I've been solely holding things down at home financially things have been very tight and summer trips have been limited. We definitely get out but that's mostly local camping trips or we visit my in-laws in Oregon. I've missed SO much drum corps over the past 15 years. Since moving here from CA I've only made it out to finals 4 times. Now it's just a matter of money. The last DCI finals I attended was Pasadena, and since then it has just been an uphill battle to find the money to go. When airline tickets spiked in 2008 and I couldn't get to Indy/Bloomington, I couldn't do anything but shrug. That was the first time where I said to myself "if only DCI would have an option to broadcast the show live again. I'd even pay premium for it, so long as I don't have to pay $800 for a flight." (that's how much it cost in summer '08. Now it's much lower, but it's not just the cost of the flight/hotel... I just don't have the kind of money to spend anymore. I have to put my family first at all times. I almost can't even afford a trip to starbucks without feeling a tad guilty.)

However, if there were an alternative to having to make the trip all the way out to Indy, it would be a lot easier for me and my family to work things out. If DCI would set up a pay-per-view and air the finals on TV, I'd gladly pay $15 to see it. Heck, I'd even be willing to pay $30-$50 (same as a normal ticket) just to be able to watch it at home. That may sound like a ridiculous amount of $ to pay for sitting at home and watching a one-time event... but for people like me who have a small army of kids to provide for it's a lot better than the alternative - nothing. :(

And I do buy the DVDs. I have every finals dvd since 2000 and the entire legacy collection, '72-'99. But it's not the same. Knowing the results 3 months before you get to see it. Not as exciting. Heck, nothing is as exciting as actually being there live. :) Maybe I just need to get a new job that pays better. But... job security is more important to me right now. Been here 15 years and I don't plan to walk away from doing what I love. :)

Speaking of work... I'm not supposed to be on dcp while at work, but with it being the finals week and all I just have to sneak a peek throughout the day/weekend. I do it every year. ;)

Edited by PepsiTwist