Live vs. Theater regarding A/E

I didn't see every single corps, but for the ones I did see let me say this regarding the balance with amps vs. corps:

I was in section 241 and all of the pit and most other electronics that I detected were tastefully level with the acoustic instruments of the corps. I really, REALLY wish someone at DCI would take a look at how they can fix the broadcast/recording issue with mic placement. It was NOT as bad in person (at least in section 241, on the 40, fantastic seats).

I didn't see every single corps, but for the ones I did see let me say this regarding the balance with amps vs. corps:

I was in section 241 and all of the pit and most other electronics that I detected were tastefully level with the acoustic instruments of the corps. I really, REALLY wish someone at DCI would take a look at how they can fix the broadcast/recording issue with mic placement. It was NOT as bad in person (at least in section 241, on the 40, fantastic seats).

(forgot to make my point: I don't think people are going to ever be able to see a show that sounds like the live version via broadcast due to this issue unless they fix it. So for all those theater and fan network reviewers out there, please keep this in mind.)

That should be the best section it's by the judges.

I dud notice tho that several corps had the speakers in front of the mics, and I think that cut sone of the issues down

Edited by Jeff Ream

In a cinecast thread, there was a mention that two or three of the first corps in this year's QF cinecast had their amps set too high.

I only got to the theater in time for Blue Knights and higher because I had to be at work until half an hour before then, but of the top nine, in my theater, the electronics were very well-balanced in the mix. Occasionally I found the use of electronics annoying (Crown, Cavies), but not to the point that it seriously detracted from their shows. I would prefer to have no electronics at all, but that ship has sailed. I do think corps should get zinged not be rewarded on scoresheets when electronics are mixed too high, just as they would be if brass or drum voices were over-balanced.

I've skipped a lot of the past Fathom cinecasts because of disappointment at the sound and look of drum corps at the ones I've gone to. The QF cinecast last night was the first Fathom one I've gone to where I felt they had it "right". The sound was a good and clean 85-90 dB at my theater and the mix was really good. It didn't have the chest WHUMP you get in Row 20 at a live show, and the reverb went too long because LOS is an indoor dome, but otherwise, the sound in my theater was what I would hope for. The visuals were also well done.

Agreed, it can never be as good as live, but last night in my theater was the next best thing and a fair value for the ticket price.

I'm glad you had a great time, Terri. Do you get to be in the same seats Friday and Saturday?

I agree with Jeff that the speaker placement mattered a lot. However, at least in the last few corps, I felt like the brass was just didn't sound right at all any time any group was near the right side. Maybe that was an issue with my seating position or something, but it was pretty bad.

I felt that the pre-cinecast webcast sounded the best in terms of overall balance. The only problem was the crowd noise. But that's clearly the right area to place the mikes, IMO.

That said, the electronics balance in the theaters was generally pretty good. I did only get to see the last 8 corps at the theater, but one element that stood out to me as overdone was the miking (I assume) of the front ensemble bass drums for BD. I could hear those things bouncing around the stadium for seconds after a release.

Edited by skywhopper

Overall in our theatre last night, the video was clear and crisp, and the sound was very good. That was great, as the sound for the earlier theatre event this year was seriously bad. There were several corps for which the electronics/pit were clearly overpowering what was happening on the field, especially if the music was softer. Sadly Terri, almost all I heard of Troop in the opening especially were the bells and the sound effects. It completely overpowered what I know to be a great, nuanced brass number. Sad. It was almost surely speaker placement, as it was too loud for other corps as well, but some of Troops numbers are quieter than many.

I know this is an old, ongoing argument - but the electronics are doing nothing for me. Period. I know there is no going back, but the electronic stuff is awful, and a lot of people in the stands around me all season have said similar things. Even my wife, who does not have a musical background, began commenting on it early in the season before I ever brought it up. I personally think it is a real issue. To me, Spirit is a great example - great show with great execution, but all the voices, recordings, sound effects, etc. are way overpowering and completely ruin the show for me, and have every time I've seen it. For me, I go to drum corps events to see live marching musicians playing on the field. All the amplified/recorded/synthesized stuff, I can live without in drum corps. I know many ohters feel differently.....

• Like 1

I agree with all of this. I watched every FN show and was in the theater. Being here in Indy, even with the echo, the A&E only caught me by surprise when 'Coats played. I don't recall any other show being an A&E irritant at all. Much better live than either FN or cinema.

Overall in our theatre last night, the video was clear and crisp, and the sound was very good. That was great, as the sound for the earlier theatre event this year was seriously bad. There were several corps for which the electronics/pit were clearly overpowering what was happening on the field, especially if the music was softer. Sadly Terri, almost all I heard of Troop in the opening especially were the bells and the sound effects. It completely overpowered what I know to be a great, nuanced brass number. Sad. It was almost surely speaker placement, as it was too loud for other corps as well, but some of Troops numbers are quieter than many.

I know this is an old, ongoing argument - but the electronics are doing nothing for me. Period. I know there is no going back, but the electronic stuff is awful, and a lot of people in the stands around me all season have said similar things. Even my wife, who does not have a musical background, began commenting on it early in the season before I ever brought it up. I personally think it is a real issue. To me, Spirit is a great example - great show with great execution, but all the voices, recordings, sound effects, etc. are way overpowering and completely ruin the show for me, and have every time I've seen it. For me, I go to drum corps events to see live marching musicians playing on the field. All the amplified/recorded/synthesized stuff, I can live without in drum corps. I know many ohters feel differently.....

About the bells, sound effects: yes, I know it drove me nuts on all the fan network broadcasts too!!! AGH!

About the A/E topic in general - I'm with you. I didn't post to say I like the stuff because I really do NOT like synths. I just wanted to talk about what it's like in person, in the section I was in.