Why do the Cadets suck in even years the past ten years?

So can we expect "Between the Da Vinci Code" next year with moderate success?

Only instead of 2 different uniforms, there will be 6, and instead of the horns picking up poles for 90 seconds, they will now spin rifle, and also march as part of a 88 person snare line. Because if its good in moderation, its BETTER in excess!

:thumbup:

• Like 2

I tend to think it's more of a PERFORMANCE thing than anything else. Sure, the design has something to do with it. (I am literally almost scared of what the design team will come up with for next year.)

But with shows like the Cadets usually have, they have to work their butts off to even have a shot at the end. (Not to say other corps don't work as hard, but many times there is a bigger difference between Cadets in June and Cadets in August than with other corps.) Phantom Regiment kinda has the same thing - the years they won, they had to work like crazy to get there. And the years after they won, it was a little bit of a down year. Winning, or reaching your potential, takes a lot of hard work and EMOTION. Perhaps expending all that energy leaves the following year with not much left?

And, going back to the word used in the original post, it's all relative...

I tend to think it's more of a PERFORMANCE thing than anything else. Sure, the design has something to do with it. (I am literally almost scared of what the design team will come up with for next year.)

But with shows like the Cadets usually have, they have to work their butts off to even have a shot at the end. (Not to say other corps don't work as hard, but many times there is a bigger difference between Cadets in June and Cadets in August than with other corps.) Phantom Regiment kinda has the same thing - the years they won, they had to work like crazy to get there. And the years after they won, it was a little bit of a down year. Winning, or reaching your potential, takes a lot of hard work and EMOTION. Perhaps expending all that energy leaves the following year with not much left?

And, going back to the word used in the original post, it's all relative...

very true - and while some members can still put forth that same level of energy and emotion, its usually harder to have that same 'hunger' after reaching your goals...just ask most championship level sports teams....

Suck, of course, used relatively. But since '03, they haven't placed below 3rd in odd years. They haven't placed above fourth in even years.

Theories?

I can think of three years I marched Cavaliers in which I would have loved for the corps to have sucked its way into 4th place. :shutup:

As for the word being relative, I guess that's sort of like saying, "The meteor heading towards us is at least ten miles away."

• Like 1

Good year competitively --> License to do something "innovative" that doesn't work.

I'd argue that this has been going on since 2000, where 2002 was not a particularly amazing product, but top-tier competition was not present.

False. Sure, people on here may not have cared for 2002, the whole 9/11 thing and all, but the audience would say otherwise every night after Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy. And they medaled.

False. Sure, people on here may not have cared for 2002, the whole 9/11 thing and all, but the audience would say otherwise every night after Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy. And they medaled.

Yeah - it was a fun show, but i'm gonna trust the guy that was in the corps when it comes to talking about the quality of the show on this one....