Revolution Erupts

Yes, that is how much they are charging, now that they are doing a West Coast tour most years. That is actually inexpensive, compared to many WC outfits. And yes, that figure for Revo has gone up from Revo, as they face higher food, fuel, and housing costs. (Of course, this entire activity is facing the same problem.)

John and Mike have a stated goal of trying to keep the cost of membership down. However, given the macroeconomic environment that we are in right now, that is an increasingly tougher job ever year.

The problem many corps get themselves into is administrative staff making promises, setting tour schedules, signing contracts with bus companies, and signing other contracts which create billing invoices, all based on the "hopeful collection of future dues from the performers". And when those dues are not collected in full by the time the bills come in, and a financial hole is thus dug, the powers at be decide to go ahead with their artistic plans knowing full well the financial reaper is on their heals requiring payment. Not a good way to run any corps!

The problem many corps get themselves into is administrative staff making promises, setting tour schedules, signing contracts with bus companies, and signing other contracts which create billing invoices, all based on the "hopeful collection of future dues from the performers". And when those dues are not collected in full by the time the bills come in, and a financial hole is thus dug, the powers at be decide to go ahead with their artistic plans knowing full well the financial reaper is on their heals requiring payment. Not a good way to run any corps!

And I think the 'hole' is at least a part of the reason the tuition for 2012 is $2,400. I certainly hope Revo is able to get 'back in the black' and can figure out their staff for next season. It'd be a real shame to see another corps disappear, especially one as entertaining as Revo!

Seems to me that $2400 is merely commensurate with what other corps charge. Many groups that tour quite a bit less than Revo charge even more.

Another detail that I have been told is that Revo's "extra" money was eaten up on first tour when their equipment truck crashed.

Seems to me that $2400 is merely commensurate with what other corps charge. Many groups that tour quite a bit less than Revo charge even more.

Another detail that I have been told is that Revo's "extra" money was eaten up on first tour when their equipment truck crashed.

Even if that is true a) that would fall into the category of insurance problems (not having enough to cover the loss of a crash); b) it still does not address the issue of allowing the multitude of performers to go out on tour without having "all" of their dues paid; and c) the poor business choice of running up a current operations deficit based on the collection of future dues payments.

• Like 2

Crossmen tuition according to their website is $2400. They have an extensive tour as well. their are other fees like camp fee and application fees. But still very comparabl.

Crossmen tuition according to their website is $2400. They have an extensive tour as well. their are other fees like camp fee and application fees. But still very comparabl.

Most WC corps such as Crossmen, especially those with a rich history, also rely on donations from Alumni and can expect a larger revenue from the Souvenir Booth. The larger, more popular, and more historical the corps is, the more places money pours in from. I would also assume that WC corps don't allow members to march without paying tour fees, as Revolution clearly did. I would guess the $2400 that Revolution is looking for is meant to help compensate for those who don't pay. Doesn't really sound fair. If I worked all year to scrounge up enough pennies in my piggy bank for myself, I would want them to pay for me--not for me AND someone else.

The Blue Devils' website states "Your financial obligation to the Blue Devils for the 2012 season will be approximately $1,500.00 - $2,200.00." They certainly do an extensive tour as well, but I would bet they receive tons of funds from Alumni, family, fans, and souvenirs.

• Like 1

The Blue Devils' website states "Your financial obligation to the Blue Devils for the 2012 season will be approximately $1,500.00 - $2,200.00." They certainly do an extensive tour as well, but I would bet they receive tons of funds from Alumni, family, fans, and souvenirs.

And they receive significant cash flows from fundraising, especially bingo. Again, go and read the Form 990 filings for these corps, if you really want insight into their finances. The major California corps receive significant funds from their bingo operations.

As I have documented previously in this forum, Texas corps cannot use bingo for fundraising. The Texas State Legislature has restricted the types of charities that can use bingos. Unless you are church or civic organization (e.g., VFW), you cannot raise funds via bingos in Texas. We can argue all day about the wisdom of that legislation, but I don't think it will do any good. (Church organizations are very, very powerful in Texas, and they will resist any attempt, by other organizations, to "muscle in" on their primary fundraiser.)

Instead, Revo has relied on alternative fundraising measures in the past, but none of them have proven to be as lucrative as bingo would be. Revo has primarily relied on concession sales as a fundraiser, and that has been met with mixed results.

I would strongly recommend that Revo review its fundraising strategy. If bingos are not an option, and concessions are not proving successful, then the corps leadership needs to look at other options.

And they receive significant cash flows from fundraising, especially bingo. Again, go and read the Form 990 filings for these corps, if you really want insight into their finances. The major California corps receive significant funds from their bingo operations.

As I have documented previously in this forum, Texas corps cannot use bingo for fundraising. The Texas State Legislature has restricted the types of charities that can use bingos. Unless you are church or civic organization (e.g., VFW), you cannot raise funds via bingos in Texas. We can argue all day about the wisdom of that legislation, but I don't think it will do any good. (Church organizations are very, very powerful in Texas, and they will resist any attempt, by other organizations, to "muscle in" on their primary fundraiser.)

Instead, Revo has relied on alternative fundraising measures in the past, but none of them have proven to be as lucrative as bingo would be. Revo has primarily relied on concession sales as a fundraiser, and that has been met with mixed results.

I would strongly recommend that Revo review its fundraising strategy. If bingos are not an option, and concessions are not proving successful, then the corps leadership needs to look at other options.

Souvies/concession take a long time to get established. Blue Devils make a significant amount of money from souvies (I think over $200K/annually). Not may corps see that amount. A few do. Someone should be looking at corporate donations. Many corporations are set up to donate to local community groups. It may not be much but it can help. Local businesses can donate and advertise. I know an org that receieved a $10,000 donation from a prominant and huge insurance company. Anther avenue is through grants. Find a grant writer and find available grant money. It is a lot of work but could be worth it. Every little bit helps. Bake sales don't. Alumni pledge drive, etc., etc. Get a focused Fund Raiser on the team!!!! Get the BOD on the job to oversee the leadership of the corps as a check and balance on decision makers. You can do it Revo.

Stu and Drumdad....sorry, but it's all a "he said, she said" at this point...no amount of posturing by either side's gonna change that until there's a formal investigation with provable evidence presented.

In the meantime, Revo's rep goes down the toilet...good job.

Perhaps from your point of view Sam, but your perspective is not relevant to Drumdad. Drumdad feels as if he has direct and factual information. He says he witnessed events, first hand, that were inappropriate. He has a child in the corps which is responsible for the safety of that child. I think there are many parents who would feel compelled to make the same information public, and I don't share your "protect the corps" point of view at all. Yes, this could/will damage the corps in the short term but there is a chance something positive will come of it. Perhaps those in charge will understand that they need to improve their fiscal management of the corps of let somebody else do it.

This thread contains posts from parents, the director, a staff member, a couple of current year members - all of whom have varying degress of direct knowledge to the corps operations and events that took place at the end of the season. Those of use who are merely observers to this thread will never know "the truth" and that truth may be a matter of perspective to some degree. However, I don't know how you could take anything away from this thread other than the realization that there were some serious management issues that had the potential to put kids at risk. If you read nothing more than the original post and the director's response I cannot imagine how you would not come away with that conclusion.

I hope Revo grows from this.

• Like 1